power ceiling ?

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

jamat
Shelled Plebeian

power ceiling ?

Post by jamat »

Firstly thanks to Clay for getting me access to the forum :)

Secondly could someone explain to me in simple terms the power ceiling concept for controlling character generation. I think I get it in principle but would like to see an example of it in action.

Cheers

Jamat
Griffon
Shelled Plebeian

Re: power ceiling ?

Post by Griffon »

Let's say you want to create a character similar to Chise, the main character of "She, the ultimate weapon".

Your GM applies the power ceiling rule, and allows for 3 levels, with a power ceiling of 11.

You want your main character to have a strong attack. So you set attack to +3, using all of the levels granted by the GM.
If you want to further improve your character, you are allowed to take weaknesses, as normal, but you're limited in the maximum amount of weaknesses you can get, due to the power ceiling.

Following our example, the power ceiling is 11. Since you already have been granted 3 levels, and you have assigned +3 to attack, you are left now with (11-3) = 8 levels left. To be able to take advantage of them though, you have to assign the equivalent amount of levels in weaknesses.

Going on with the example, you could end up with

Abilities (total: 11)
+3 Attack
+2 Beautiful
+3 Combat expert
+3 Strong

Weaknesses (total: -8)
-2 Kind-hearted
-2 Shy
-3 Dependence (needs to charge energy to move)
-1 Love interest (Shuji)

11-8 = 3, which are the 3 levels you get 'for free'.

Note that with the power ceiling rule, you *cannot* get more weakness to gain more levels than the amount specified as power ceiling. In this example you gained a total level (sum of the abilities levels) of 11, and the power ceiling is 11, so even if you choose more weaknesses, you aren't allowed to get more abilities in exchange.

Hope that's simple enough :)
jamat
Shelled Plebeian

Re: power ceiling ?

Post by jamat »

many thanks that now makes perfect sense :)