perks on abilities that don't cost an action to use

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

robin of awakening
Shelled Plebeian

perks on abilities that don't cost an action to use

Post by robin of awakening »

I was wondering how would perks on say teleport for example work when you are using teleport as a defense roll?

It seemed ok until a player wanted defensive on it and I realized theoretically every time that character would attempt to dodge (with teleport of course) their defense would increase even though no action was used.

Also could perks even be used on an ability like art of invisibility?
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Re: perks on abilities that don't cost an action to use

Post by sniffycrab »

You do not use perks on those abilities. Perks cost endurance points unless balanced by a flaw. Teleporting would literally suck away all your players Endurance then health if used to much.

As for defense rolls, Teleport replaces evasive and quick, it does NOT stack with them.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Re: perks on abilities that don't cost an action to use

Post by Clay »

Some Abilities are not straight forward when it comes to applying Perks and Flaws. Just try to use common sense. If a given Flaw provides no detriment with a given Ability, then you should not gain Endurance with it. Likewise if a Perk really only adds flavor to an Ability, and no concrete game advantage, there’s not much point in making it cost much, if anything.

As for Defensive, the text pretty heavily implies that it should be linked to an Attack, or at the very least, an Ability that isn’t your actual Defense Roll. But if for some reason you really want Teleport to have that Perk, I would rule that the Perk does NOT stack each time you roll Teleport. You get the +1 after its use for the rest of the round, and it remains +1 even if you roll for Defense five times, not +5.