Why is there no healing in the middle of combat?

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Why is there no healing in the middle of combat?

Post by sniffycrab »

This question is for Clay. Why can't you heal during a fight in OVA? The current system makes it really difficult. Is there a reason for this? I want to know before I add health potions or some such feature to my fantasy game then find out it breaks the system.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Re: Why is there no healing in the middle of combat?

Post by Clay »

There's two approaches to healing. One way is the kind of healing you see in Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, where characters chug potions and cast spells ad nauseum, and the other is the kind of healing you see more often in cinematic storytelling. Here, it's not very often that you see fights interrupted by characters healing in any overt fashion. Healing is always something that happens after the fight, where a downed character gets emergency aid. Or when it does happen mid-battle, it's a big thing and dramatic, usually requiring the protection/distraction of others.

There's enough crossover between anime and RPGs that you will see the sillier kind of healing from time to time, and there's nothing wrong with that! I just had to make a decision of which is more broadly appropriate.

As for breaking the game, it will certainly make your heroes much, much tougher, so you may want to liberally give Health Reserves to opponents...or even healing powers of their own.
Joe_Mello
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Joe_Mello »

I find 80 points to be a long way to go as-is. :/
Joe_Mello: Could you make a common sense roll, please, Ryu?
Ryushikaze: With Smart?
Joe_Mello: Sure
*Ryushikaze rolls*
Joe_Mello: SHE'S DEAD!
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Post by sniffycrab »

Joe_Mello wrote:I find 80 points to be a long way to go as-is. :/
True that. I just wanted to confirm something before I went mucking about with the system.