Magic: Arcane

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

PLMRORRE
Shelled Plebeian

Magic: Arcane

Post by PLMRORRE »

Ok, so I have a question about this ability and its permanency.
Is there a time limit?
Does it wear off when the character sleeps?
Or does the character have to actively lift the 'blessing'?
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Re: Magic: Arcane

Post by sniffycrab »

I rule of thumb it lasts one fight or one scene unless specified other wise.
Lord Specineff13
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Lord Specineff13 »

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting on these forums.

Anyway, to give my own answer to the question - Abilities gained through Magic, Arcane lasts for as long as the character wants them. However, any Endurance spent casting spells are not regained for as long as those spells stay in place.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

It's not explicitly stated, but I would say that if a character is ever not conscious (either knocked out or asleep) all spells are released. But that's ultimately up to you and the other Players!
PLMRORRE
Shelled Plebeian

Post by PLMRORRE »

Here's a new question.
Assuming the Arcane user has an innate knowledge of abilities, do they impart this knowledge when granting an ability to someone else?

Like say casting a Flight Spell on them, would they automatically be able to control it or whatever?
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Post by sniffycrab »

Well yes, gaining flight then crashing into a wall because you don't know about it would be silly.
cassius335
Worthy Tortoise

Post by cassius335 »

sniffycrab wrote:Well yes, gaining flight then crashing into a wall because you don't know about it would be silly.
Though it would also be funny, if that's the sort of game you're going for...
Lord Specineff13
Shelled Plebeian

Say, I actually have a question regarding the Endurance costs of Magic spells. Is it kosher to lower the base cost of casting a spell using Flaws?

For example, a character has Magic: Arcane 3 and wants to grant themselves a +2 ability, which would cost 10 Endurance before perks and flaws are considered. Can the spell have a Flaw to make the cost 5, or even 0?
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Post by sniffycrab »

Lord Specineff13 wrote:Say, I actually have a question regarding the Endurance costs of Magic spells. Is it kosher to lower the base cost of casting a spell using Flaws?

For example, a character has Magic: Arcane 3 and wants to grant themselves a +2 ability, which would cost 10 Endurance before perks and flaws are considered. Can the spell have a Flaw to make the cost 5, or even 0?
I say NO! Magic: Arcane is very powerful and is only balanced by the high endurance cost required to use it. As written you could use Magic: Arcane to get any other ability you need on demand, so it is a tool box that could be thrown at nearly any problem.
PLMRORRE
Shelled Plebeian

Post by PLMRORRE »

sniffycrab wrote: I say NO! Magic: Arcane is very powerful and is only balanced by the high endurance cost required to use it. As written you could use Magic: Arcane to get any other ability you need on demand, so it is a tool box that could be thrown at nearly any problem.
That is kinda how I saw Arcane as bring used as well. Especially in combat situations when you need a leg up for defense or attack, at the expense of endurance you could also use for special moves.
Lord Specineff13 wrote:Say, I actually have a question regarding the Endurance costs of Magic spells. Is it kosher to lower the base cost of casting a spell using Flaws?

And while the endurance cost here is not free (or all that inexpensive), just remember that at Magic: Arcane 3, or any level actually, you can cast abilities equal or lest than your level in Arcane with out rolling. So, unless you are level 5, I don't really think it needs to be free. (Even still at level 5 only level 1 abilities are free)
Lord Specineff13
Shelled Plebeian

Thanks, I was leaning that way myself. Seemed a bit fishy to use a negative balance of perks and flaws to lower the base casting cost of a magic spell.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Using Flaws to cheapen spells isn’t automatically a no-no...the main problem here is many Flaws are sort of a non-issue for certain spells. Using Self-Only on all your spells is technically legal, but it’s sort of against the spirit of fair play.

Basically, if a Flaw doesn’t actually limit a character’s options much, I would discourage its use as a spell-cheapener. On the other hand, having a Requirement like “Must have a source of water” for a water spell seems perfectly fair.