ranged vs agile

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Trailblazer57
Worthy Tortoise

ranged vs agile

Post by Trailblazer57 »

oh hi guys, and gals.
i have a minor rules conundrum.
Ive created neat character but i find her power attacks are weaker than her physical attacks ven though she's supposed to be a 10 year old.

the main reason i find is that i did not add her agile dice to these two attacks becuase im not sure if being agile would help in a ranged "bolt strike" or in a area burst effect "think Blanka's electric ability except slightly larger effect area.

should i add my agile dice regardless of this?
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Re: ranged vs agile

Post by Chris Brady »

Trailblazer57 wrote:oh hi guys, and gals.
i have a minor rules conundrum.
Ive created neat character but i find her power attacks are weaker than her physical attacks ven though she's supposed to be a 10 year old.

the main reason i find is that i did not add her agile dice to these two attacks becuase im not sure if being agile would help in a ranged "bolt strike" or in a area burst effect "think Blanka's electric ability except slightly larger effect area.

should i add my agile dice regardless of this?
Yes. Agile applies to all combat rolls, ranged and melee.

Suggestion: Talk with your GM and ask if they are using the Knowledge is 2 ranks for 1 point thing. And you can use Knowledge: Electrokinetics (or name of power set) Knowledge is a catch all for specific abilities that may or may not be combat related.
"And now my friends, a Dragon's Toast! To life's little blessings; wars, plagues and all forms of evil. Their presence keeps us alert-- And their absence keeps us grateful!" - T.A. Barron
Trailblazer57
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Trailblazer57 »

"hmm knowledge doenst seem to fit but i will re- add the agile bonus. currently im the more experienced of the two of us. the main gm is bringin the story whilst i help out with background things and npcs when needed.
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

So what your saying is this ten year old girl is a fully trained fighter/soldier/assassin? Cool. Plenty of anime with that set up. So yeah, Combat Expert is probably better.
"And now my friends, a Dragon's Toast! To life's little blessings; wars, plagues and all forms of evil. Their presence keeps us alert-- And their absence keeps us grateful!" - T.A. Barron
S'drolion
Shelled Plebeian

Post by S'drolion »

A good way to think of it is that being Agile, even if you don't think it would help with the actual *attack*, helps you *get in position* for the attack or *unleash it faster*, so mechanically it's the same thing from OVA's perspective. Thus, it and Combat Expert both add to your attack rolls.
Trailblazer57
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Trailblazer57 »

Chris Brady wrote:So what your saying is this ten year old girl is a fully trained fighter/soldier/assassin? Cool. Plenty of anime with that set up. So yeah, Combat Expert is probably better.
no shes neither a combat expert or assassin. she does not have combat expert just attack +1. attack +3 when transformed.
Trailblazer57
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Trailblazer57 »

S'drolion wrote:A good way to think of it is that being Agile, even if you don't think it would help with the actual *attack*, helps you *get in position* for the attack or *unleash it faster*, so mechanically it's the same thing from OVA's perspective. Thus, it and Combat Expert both add to your attack rolls.
that is Golden! i'd +1 you if i could.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Likewise. I couldn’t have put Agile’s “place” in the Attack Roll better myself. :)