Combat stat equations, and a power question.

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Trailblazer57
Worthy Tortoise

Combat stat equations, and a power question.

Post by Trailblazer57 »

being from the d20 side of rp's im still having a hard tim understanding this system
1: i dont see why not just use d20 and add your advantage bonus to the roll. (player bias i know XP)
2: but more importantly i'd like a proper list of what adds to ATK roll. and DEF roll
ex: "ATK Roll=2d6+attack+quick+etc"
but without the "ETC". like a full list of what pertains so i dont have to look through every advantage to see if it stacks there. (im hoping this makes some sorta sense).

And finnally a question on a unique ability im trying to make.
my electric based character can charge or recharge once a day, If the power source is sufficient it triggers a "transformation" giving her electric based attacks a boost (+3 for now). how would i go about this "power set?"

Sorry for any typos i missed, im using my backup keyboard and the keys feel so different.
as usual any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Re: Combat stat equations, and a power question.

Post by Chris Brady »

First off, welcome. It's nice that you're willing to look at other games. :)

Now, the reason this system isn't going for a single die (of any type) is that for example, the D20 is linear. It doesn't do averages very well, it bounces all over the place creating wide variances in competance. Where as multiple D6 (in the case of OVA) you'll likely hit a bell curve where 3's and 4's will happen, and because we add the multiples of the same number, means a more reliable average of about 6-7 on two dice, 9-12 on three dice and so on.

Secondly, this system, for good or ill, tends to allow the GM or players to define what some of the abilities do. But usually it's just Agile, Combat Expertise or Knowledge: (Name of combat style) is what adds to attack, whereas Quick and Evasive are used primarily for defense.

That being said, some other abilities can also be used: If you're in a Giant Mecha game, or even a racing one, Pilot could be used for offense or defense as the case may be. Teleport may also be used Defensively. And finally, Lucky might be able to be finagled into a situation.

Going to need more on the Electrokinetic power you're trying to explain, sorry.
"And now my friends, a Dragon's Toast! To life's little blessings; wars, plagues and all forms of evil. Their presence keeps us alert-- And their absence keeps us grateful!" - T.A. Barron
Trailblazer57
Worthy Tortoise

Re: Combat stat equations, and a power question.

Post by Trailblazer57 »

Chris Brady wrote:First off, welcome. It's nice that you're willing to look at other games. :)

Going to need more on the Electrokinetic power you're trying to explain, sorry.
Thank you!

well after talking it out with the main GM, we decided that it would be a transformation triggered by access to high voltage power sources, EX: power transformers, being struck by lightning and the like. (Trigger -2). and she gets a +4 trans.

but conversly her unique weakness is pretty hardcore.

Unique Weakness-3 (Water immersion Saps Her power. A large enough body of water could completely drain her of charge ((Endurance reduced to 1))
since she's a 10 yr old a standard sized pool is enough.