Converting 5e to OVA?

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Atmo
Exalted Amphibian

Converting 5e to OVA?

Post by Atmo »

How would one translate an Ogre of D&D 5e to OVA? Does it only needs some Armored, Stunning Attack and high Health to be equally dangerous (for low level characters)?

Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Re: Converting 5e to OVA?

Post by Chris Brady »

Drop the concept of 'levels' first off. Secondly, an Ogre is pretty much a big strong creature with some basic combat skill, but the real question is "How hard should this target be for the PCs?"

That question should define what you want to do with the game.

Also, watch Fantasy Anime. :wink: 8)
"And now my friends, a Dragon's Toast! To life's little blessings; wars, plagues and all forms of evil. Their presence keeps us alert-- And their absence keeps us grateful!" - T.A. Barron
Atmo
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Atmo »

Chris Brady wrote:Drop the concept of 'levels' first off. Secondly, an Ogre is pretty much a big strong creature with some basic combat skill, but the real question is "How hard should this target be for the PCs?"

That question should define what you want to do with the game.
I'm used in measuring player character's strength by checking their Attacks and the overall combat ability of the enemies, like the oficial rule says. An ogre, in 5e, is a huge threat for a lone level 4 character (I double tested it), and the only conclusion I came is adding Tough, Awkward Size, Strong, Weak-Willed, Minions (Soft Goblins), and probably Attack.
Chris Brady wrote:Also, watch Fantasy Anime. :wink: 8)
My Anime List is on my signature, you can find what I watched these months.
Hint: Vanadis, Chaika, Legend of Legendary Heroes, Afro Samurai (hue), Akame ga Kill (why, Mine, why?!), Druaga no Tou, Dragon Pink, Ixion Saga and others.
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

It also depends on the various power levels that you want to mimic. If you want to make the Ogre a boss type encounter, with flash anime leaps from the lithe heroes, while he fends them off like he's a tree in the wind. I.E. he stands just there and cracks earth and rocks with his swings and counters.

Then yes, what you got is fine. In fact, that's exactly how I'd make an Ogre Boss type.
"And now my friends, a Dragon's Toast! To life's little blessings; wars, plagues and all forms of evil. Their presence keeps us alert-- And their absence keeps us grateful!" - T.A. Barron
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Interestingly, I think the Ability Score modifiers work pretty well translated directly to OVA. +4 STR would be +4 Strong, +3 CON = +3 Tough, -3 INT = -3 Dense, and so on.
Atmo
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Atmo »

Clay wrote:Interestingly, I think the Ability Score modifiers work pretty well translated directly to OVA. +4 STR would be +4 Strong, +3 CON = +3 Tough, -3 INT = -3 Dense, and so on.
That's a very dumb ogre, I liked it.
Chris Brady wrote:It also depends on the various power levels that you want to mimic. If you want to make the Ogre a boss type encounter, with flash anime leaps from the lithe heroes, while he fends them off like he's a tree in the wind. I.E. he stands just there and cracks earth and rocks with his swings and counters.

Then yes, what you got is fine. In fact, that's exactly how I'd make an Ogre Boss type.
Already did that on a tale I wrote trying to use 5e to explain character's abilities, but I don't have the interest in GMing 5e so soon. OVA was a better bet as I can make really "buffed" characters through illustrations I like.
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

Clay wrote:Interestingly, I think the Ability Score modifiers work pretty well translated directly to OVA. +4 STR would be +4 Strong, +3 CON = +3 Tough, -3 INT = -3 Dense, and so on.
Bear in mind, that for example, you look at the strength chart in 5e, you'd see that a +2 hero(ine) is PRETTY durned strong. You can carry on your back 210lbs. And you can deadlift (as in lift off the ground for a few inches and hold it there) 420. That's a 14 (which is a +2 bonus)

So you're going to be pretty buff, even if you're not human/Enter Race Here peak.

For example, my last OVA character in the Magical Girl Side Stories game, my character with a Strong +2 was pretty beefy.
Atmo
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Atmo »

Chris Brady wrote:Bear in mind, that for example, you look at the strength chart in 5e, you'd see that a +2 hero(ine) is PRETTY durned strong. You can carry on your back 210lbs. And you can deadlift (as in lift off the ground for a few inches and hold it there) 420. That's a 14 (which is a +2 bonus)

So you're going to be pretty buff, even if you're not human/Enter Race Here peak.

For example, my last OVA character in the Magical Girl Side Stories game, my character with a Strong +2 was pretty beefy.
If you want your characters like that, ok by me.
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

5e Core rules, you multiply your current strength by 15 for carrying capacity, by 30 for max. Page 176. And if we want to map (in this case) Strength to OVA, as per Clay's suggestion, that means Strong +2 is equivalent to 14-15.