Weaknesses stating "one or more"

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

S'drolion
Shelled Plebeian

Weaknesses stating "one or more"

Post by S'drolion »

Another noob question--

Certain weaknesses, such as "Suppressed Power" and "Trigger," state that they apply to "one or more of your Abilities." However, their level is not determined by the number of abilities affected like that of "Focus," but by other elements.

I was wondering if anyone had any guidance on using these. Should a character ever have more than one Suppressed Power weakness or Trigger weakness, for instance? As an example...what if there were a character who was powered by, say, the cycle of day and night, and wanted to have some abilities stronger in the daytime and some at night? Could he take Suppressed Power (Day) for one set and Suppressed Power (Night) for another?

Sorry--best example I could come up with. :-P

Or could it go even more widespread than that? I assume from the wording that these shouldn't be taken once per ability affected, but would it be considered valid as far as the intent of the system to allow a second or third "instance" of these if the character story and design seemed to support it?
S'drolion
Shelled Plebeian

Re: Weaknesses stating "one or more"

Post by S'drolion »

Just as an update to this...I've since done some character building with my group and thus far I've found that allowing multiple instances of these weaknesses (or other ones like Sensitivity) doesn't feel "off" to me as long as the effects both seem likely to come up over the course of the game and be significant to the character when they do. I wouldn't allow a separate Suppressed Power weakness for each of 17 abilities, I don't think, but allowing a character to have a couple seems okay as long as their effects are notable.

Any other opinions on this? I'm still kind of torn.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

“One or more” was a leftover from the old version of the game and was corrected in an update to the Revised PDF. You can make sure you have the latest copy by going to DTRPG and clicking “My Library.”

In any case, this makes your one Suppressed Power per Ability the correct choice. :) Like you said, I wouldn’t allow it for 15 different Abilities...if you had that many changes, it would be better to get a full blown Transformation for your fully-powered form.
S'drolion
Shelled Plebeian

Post by S'drolion »

Thanks--I got the update but missed that change. :-) Thank you and have a Happy New Year!
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

You, too!