Lasting Abilities with Endurance cost

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

S'drolion
Shelled Plebeian

Lasting Abilities with Endurance cost

Post by S'drolion »

Hi, guys--

Had a rules question. It seems possible in the OVA rules, using Perks, to end up with an ability that would normally be thought of as a lasting effect (say, Invisibility) which have an endurance cost. In those cases, is the endurance cost taken any time the ability is used in a roll (like if it were an Attack), just once when the effect is first activated, or with some sort of periodic recurrence?

As a hypothetical situation, for instance, you might in theory set up Invisibility with Area Effect or Multiple Targets to allow you to make yourself and some allies invisible.

Similarly, if such an ability pays for the Endurance cost by taking, say, Activation, Concentration, or Buildup, how frequently do those apply? Does the person take the one-round activation cost, activate the ability on the next round, and then just go with it? Or does the ability only work for one round and then deactivate, having to pay activation a second time?
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Re: Lasting Abilities with Endurance cost

Post by Clay »

I would treat them like magic spells. It costs Endurance to gain the Ability but not to keep it in effect. However you cannot restore Endurance until the effect is relinquished.

Some of the Flaws you mention are a little tricky, since they require the “Round” economy that’s more useful in combat than elsewhere. Generally I’d say for Flaws like Activation and Buildup, you’d do similarly to what you suggested, forcing the Ability to be “recast” each Round (or after so many Rounds.) For “Concentration” it’s probably fair to let the Ability to remain in effect indefinitely as I described above.
S'drolion
Shelled Plebeian

Re: Lasting Abilities with Endurance cost

Post by S'drolion »

Thanks, Clay--I hadn't considered the Magic, Arcane model for that. :-) That sounds like a great option.