The Adventures of Aurunox! The school boy.

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

The Adventures of Aurunox! The school boy.

Post by Chris Brady »

So this pretty much cemented my character in my head, and I have to admit, the amount of giggling that it ensued from me was no mean feat, I have to say. I had fun altering this to read better than a bunch if IRC lines, and I hope others enjoy it too.

Without further ado, this is the middle of the first week of the adventures of the newly named Arisawa Hayato. (My fellow players/GM want me to transcribe Auren and Fukiko's antics as well. I said, 'We'll see.')

“Hey, Haya-Kun!” One of his classmates calls him over, and grinning as usual, the stocky 'punk' saunters over. Himura Takeshi, Matsunaga Seiichi, Seto Nori and Toma Akihiko are the newest friends he's made. Well, not really friends, but their interests align. Which is to say, girls! He's not yet fitting in, and frankly, large groups make him uncomfortable. But for the ladies or a chance to spy on them can get him to override that.

“What's up?” After school is mostly boring, with many other students going home of going to their clubs. He doesn't have one, yet. But Hayato isn't sure he wants to go to one. Not to mention that he's helping his new family with their little grocery store, every other day. And then the homework, dear heavens, the amount they give out! He never knew humans could be so full information!

“The girl's swim team's practice is over, the guys and I were going to go and peep on them,” Takeshi, the erstwhile leader and tallest of them all, whispers excitedly, “You in?”

“Sure!” Is the enthusiastic reply, and all five boys exit the class and escape via the 'secret route'. Which is to say the set of stairs next to the science labs, which is at the back end and the long way round, but less chance of being found out. Soon they have arrived and are staring through the five or so 'holes', damaged parts of the smoked glass that allows light into the underground room.

They quietly watch the variously pretty, slim and athletic girls at various stages of disrobing, until a feminine throat clearing startles most of the boys. Hayato's reflexes sensed her coming a minute at least, besides rubber rubbing against the ground makes a rather unique sound.

The next thing he hears is the scampering of feet, but he just waves the girl dismissively, “Shh, go away.”

To which a splash of water hits him in the side of the head. A sigh, as he suddenly stands up, taller than she is, but not as tall as his classmate the greatly desired Auren. Whose probably being pestered by Fukiko, by now. She's a cutie, but way too young for his tastes.

Pretty wet from the soaking and noting that the girls have vacated their locker rooms, not to mention his cadre of fellow peepers have ditched him, Hayato turns to face the girl and sighs, "Aw, you chased them away."

"I... what?" The team captain snarls at the boldness, and hits him with another barrage of water to the face from the hose, "Pervert!"

"Well, yes," The school boy brushes the strands of wet fire coloured hair from his face, her friends giggle nervously at the admission, but he's never been one to hide from the truth.  His blunt confidence and honesty a tad unnerving to most Japanese it seems. Finally getting a good look at her, eying the sleek, somewhat short but still leggy girl in the school issue bathing suit, "Hey, you're cute!  Wanna go for a beef bowl, after you change?"

Practically sputtering, and turning absolutely red under her rich, short cut brown hair with both anger and at the audacity, the third year twists the nozzle and cuts loose with a veritable blast of water at him, shrieking out a howling, "PERVERT!"

Now totally drenched from head to sneakers -thankfully this school doesn't include footwear into their dress code- the still smiling Hayato raises a finger, "A 'no' would have sufficed."

She hmphs derisively about to turn away, when he begins to disrobe, starting with his jacket and white shirt.  One of her friends goggles, "What are you doing?"

"Well, I'm not going to stay in these wet clothes, I'll catch a cold!" The athletic teen looks genuinely confused, but doesn't stop, tossing the top onto the nearby fencing, and displaying a rather muscular, with a couple scars, torso. The equally short, bespectacled girl to her right in the school uniform makes an odd purring sound and simply stares. The shape changed Dragon flicks his gaze towards and winks at her quickly, eliciting a blush.

But when he starts working on the belt, the elder girl with the hose drops it, yelling, "Stop!"

"What?"  Hayato freezes.  Her raven haired friend looks mildly disappointed. While the other one looks about ready to faint or something.

"The boy's locker room..." She puts both hands onto his back and starts to get him to move.

"..Is too far away, it's on the other side of this building!" He doesn't actually resist the pushing, "At least give me a towel!"

From out of nowhere one is thrown and hits him in the face! A muffled, “Thank you!” is given and soon he is directed to the boy's side of the change room. Finally alone, he strips the rest of the clothes off and begins to dry them.

Sadly for the passing by students it's the only way to and from the girl's side, and the door has long been busted, needing a push to fully close. And so they get a full display of Arisawa Hayato, clad in nothing but a small, pink girl's towel around the hips, leaning on one of the washing/drying machines usually used for the swim gear, listening and humming genuinely well along to the tunes on the smartphone that his adopted mother gave him to keep in case of emergency.

I've also decided that Aurunox is also very much into music, and has an excellent singing voice with a wide range of vocalization. But no training which means no bonus or Passion dice. Yet. Once we decide to get/give XP, maybe.
"And now my friends, a Dragon's Toast! To life's little blessings; wars, plagues and all forms of evil. Their presence keeps us alert-- And their absence keeps us grateful!" - T.A. Barron
Rawle Nyanzi
Worthy Tortoise

Re: The Adventures of Aurunox! The school boy.

Post by Rawle Nyanzi »

Ah, zany highschool antics -- very much like a typical anime. Hope it goes well for you. :)
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

Rawle Nyanzi wrote:Ah, zany highschool antics -- very much like a typical anime. Hope it goes well for you. :)
It's been silly fun so far.

We've been going mostly the 'other side' of most Magical Girls. You know playing the Tuxedo Masks to the GM's Sailor Moon, which happens to be Fukiko.

But that was the one scene that nailed Hayato for me. The disregard for most of Japanese decency laws, the straight up perverted behaviour, the blunt honesty, without having to raid for panties and the like. Simply because he doens't actually see the point of them. He's going to cause so much trouble!
"And now my friends, a Dragon's Toast! To life's little blessings; wars, plagues and all forms of evil. Their presence keeps us alert-- And their absence keeps us grateful!" - T.A. Barron
Rawle Nyanzi
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Rawle Nyanzi »

Chris Brady wrote:
Rawle Nyanzi wrote:Ah, zany highschool antics -- very much like a typical anime. Hope it goes well for you. :)
It's been silly fun so far.

We've been going mostly the 'other side' of most Magical Girls. You know playing the Tuxedo Masks to the GM's Sailor Moon, which happens to be Fukiko.
I could never do GM-owned player characters in my campaigns. Since I'm my group's designated GM, I have inside knowledge which would give me too many advantages. It just wouldn't be the same as playing a non-GM character, since they have to go off of limited knowledge and dodge the obstacles the GM throws at them.
Chris Brady wrote:But that was the one scene that nailed Hayato for me. The disregard for most of Japanese decency laws, the straight up perverted behaviour, the blunt honesty, without having to raid for panties and the like. Simply because he doens't actually see the point of them. He's going to cause so much trouble!
Interesting concept! It's always a good idea to make one small change, then explore the domino effect from it. You could get so much mileage out of it.

Plus, I like your scenario -- sounds like a blast.
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

Rawle Nyanzi wrote:I could never do GM-owned player characters in my campaigns. Since I'm my group's designated GM, I have inside knowledge which would give me too many advantages. It just wouldn't be the same as playing a non-GM character, since they have to go off of limited knowledge and dodge the obstacles the GM throws at them.
It's more... If you've ever watched Sailor Moon, in the early seasons, Tuxedo Mask would come up from time to time, say something inspiring and dash off. But the show was all about Sailor Moon, so it would focus on that. The way the GM is running it, the game focuses entirely on Auren and Aurunox (AKA Arisawa Hayato), whenever Fukiko is in trouble we show up and help her out, and do most of the heavy lifting, as she's just 12 years old, at the moment, and brand new to this Magical Girl Crime Fighting thing. But for the most part we just do our thing.

During the first session of the game, we begrudgingly (in character) compared notes, and realized that we were likely called for the same reason. He, via his oracle, Hayato via the Rune Blades transporting him into the future. So we fight the Forces of Darkness.

Which is actually kinda literal. See, the badguys are actually human dreams, nightmares, given flesh by the magic that flows around the earth, called Akumu (Literally Japanese for Nightmare) and they possess people. The more powerful ones,the Nightmare Lords have been around for hundreds of years.

And because the Akumu are human dreams, that means that they'll never go away. Azyrus, himself, is both a Dream and the last remnant of Auren's Order (A former wizard's familiar, not that Azy believes that. Auren is very sure, however.) As such, Azy needs to find a champion, or champions, to help fight this evil every so often. The only way to truly stop these Akumu would be to kill humanity off, but no one knows that they exist, past the odd occurrences and strange phenomenon.

As for Magic, well, despite not many people knowing about it, it's just as strong as it was during Auren and Aurunox's time. Which is what the spells and the toys still function.

Anywho, that's the set up. Fukiko only shows up as either Auren's love interest (we gave him that extra flaw of Unwanted Love Interest, because the Art says so) or when she's in waaaay over her head. So far, that's meant about half the 10 sessions, and of those 5 (I'd like to say), 3 of them were out of 'costume'.
cassius335
Worthy Tortoise

Post by cassius335 »

Can we see Aurunox's character sheet?
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

cassius335 wrote:Can we see Aurunox's character sheet?
I've posted it three times! :mrgreen: But sure:

[Edited for clarity and minor grammar corrections]

Aurunox the Mighty is/was a dragon, one of the greater Noble ones. During the Age of Magical Might he amused himself by terrorizing various kingdoms and villages around the mountain he called home. And by around, that was close to a thousand miles in all directions.

The Order of The Fallen Star and various other Magical orders spent decades trying to stop him, but to no avail. Until one day, a human warrior from a far off kingdom known only as 'Dragonslayer' came to his mountain and challenged him. Aurunox accepted and they fought.

Dragonslayer had been given that name because until Aurunox he had slain over a dozen dragons albeit of the Common variety. But even though Aurunox was one of the greatest of even the more powerful Noble Dragons, the human knight was willing and proved capable of dealing with any of the beasts.

The fight lasted almost a week of constant battle, both equally matched. And the longer the fight went on, the greater Aurunox's respect for Dragonslayer grew, until a point where he grew loathed to kill the human. And in his heart of hearts, he wondered if he even could.

On the last day, when both nearing their end of endurance, Dragonslayer bested him! And as the final blow was about to land, Aurunox did the one thing that neither expected.

Shifting to his human form (of which he had several, he was a powerful magical creature after all) dropped to one knee, bowed his head in a manner similar to Dragonslayer's fellow knights and uttered two words: I yield.

The human warrior actually stayed his swords. For he had remembered that in all of tales of the Dragon's fearsome feats, Aurunox only ever killed in self-defense and never actually ate a human. In fact it was well known that the beast liked his beef and he liked it well done, even to the point of being willing to be bribed with a cow, or a simple steak meal.

And so began one of the oddest and perhaps greatest friendships to ever grace that time. In the decade that passed, both of them had many an adventure. Aurunox was having a grand old time of it as well. Doing good deeds actually netted him the very same gold and magic rewards he used to raid and steal! And even better some of it was given freely, in thanks!

Then on a summer's day, before one of their 'hunting trips', Aurunox came to the secret human sized entrance of his mountain lair and found his best friend's two Rune Blades crossed into the rocky surface. They stood there in an X as if waiting for him. And the mighty dragon was confused. Dragonslayer had died? How? He wasn't that old, not even past his mid thirties. Aurunox made sure he knew of such things, because that's what friends do. Who had killed his friend, his first true friend? And why had the magical swords delivered themselves to him? They're bane to his kind.

However, the thought of some coward having taken the life of Dragonslayer filled him with such righteous rage for vengeance and justice that he braved the touch of the hilts.

The show of lights and power knocked him to one knee, but he did not release the brands. When it was over, everything had changed. He was no longer in the rocky lands he calls home, it was a field near an odd looking shrine one of a design he never encountered. Even the air didn't 'smell' right. And it was night, when he had just awoken an hour before, making it noon. Worse the only thing he had were his dear friend's blades, his Dragon magic was gone! He was stuck as a human! At least the Dragonslayer Blades still functioned and were still able to merge into their Greatsword form at will and back again.

However, if there was one thing that Aurunox had that other dragons did not, it was his adaptability. Wandering down into the city below the hillside shrine, he raided the tailor shops for appropriate clothing and spare money for food. His days playing 'adventurer' aided immensely. Then he found an Internet cafe, and guessing luckily, found a store of information he could use to learn about this new land.

Using his natural charm, he beguiled the admittedly bored young lady into showing him how to use a computer and the internet. Then spent nearly half of his money and nearly twelve hours reading up on the world. Disturbingly enough, he never found mention of his friend, nor much about his era, but decided that something or someone, wanted him here. If the Rune Blades allowed his touch, then they must see whatever threat ahead to be greater than even he. A thought that rankled, sure, but so it seemed.

Mentally hoping that Dragonslayer had a good long life, if he had still lived, and giving his friend permission to loot his lost hoard as needed, he sought out what threat summoned him.

And promptly ran into a truancy officer. What Aurunox did not know, or paid less attention to was that he now looked like a stocky, human boy of about sixteen! And so a whirlwind of activity ensued, which amused and confused him. It was determined that he was a runaway orphan, (he feigned amnesia to cover his lack of practical knowledge and newness to this world, which actually helped them as much as it did him!) and then quickly placed in a foster home, finally enrolled into the local high school. Which after learning what that was, he secretly approved of. Knowledge is a resource, after all.

Even though this was new, and he did miss his time, it really didn't seem so bad. Until he found out he was in the same class as Auren.

Personality: Aurunox finds everything interesting, which tends to get him in trouble as coupled with his reckless tendency to dive into every situation with both feet. It made life interesting, to say the least, when he was with Dragonslayer. Now, he's slightly more cautious, but he loves everything he sees, as it's all new, and he's always been the curious sort. But one thing he can't stand, especially since he had been one before he'd 'settled down' is bullies. His naturally boisterous and blunt nature also gets him in trouble in modern Japan, his lack of caring also causes embarrassment. Although he's brash, loud, overconfident and likes brawling and chasing skirts a little too much, he's very much one of the nicest guys you'll meet.

He still has his flashes of dragon but he is learning and underneath it all, he's taken to liking humans. Especially the girls. Even if they pile ungodly amounts of school work on him.

TVTrope: Chivalrous Pervert, Good is Not Soft.

The Rune Blades: These pair of swords are, of course, magical. Aurunox mistakenly believes that they are designed to slay dragons, but are in reality, designed to slay 'evil'. They are granted by some unseen will to a champion of an era, driving them to seek out companions to root out some great threat.

They have two forms, a pair of large blades that are faster to use, but do less damage, and a single two handed weapon, that's slower but hits much harder. Both forms they are razor sharp and can cut through anything with the right amount of strength. They can also mask their presence if needed to, like they do in Aurunox's current world. They may also have powers that he doesn't know about yet. They currently cannot harm any 'non-Evil' creature, which includes most humans.

Aurunox “Arisawa Hayato”

Concept: Time Lost Polymorphed Dragon
Birthday: January 7th
Sex: Male
Height: 5' 7”
Weight: 152lbs. (Solid muscle. Besides, all that mass had to go somewhere, right?)
Hair: Punk-Orange with red tips
Eyes: Green
Association: None, so far.
Hobbies: Martial Arts/Brawling
Favourite food: Cooked beef (All kinds)
Allies: None
Enemies: Anyone who victimizes others

Abilities:
Attack: +4 (Rune Blades)
Combat Expert: +4
Evasive: +1
Intimidating: +1
Iron Will: +3
Perceptive: +1
Resistance: +2 (Fire)
Smart: +1
Strong: +2
Tough: +3

Weaknesses:
Ageism -1 (He actually is about 16-20 in Dragon Years)
Bizarre Appearance: Flame coloured 'punk' hair -1
Compulsion (Fighting) -1
Code of Conduct: Chivalry -2
Easily Distracted -1
Hatred: -2 (Bullies)
Impulsive -2
Lecherous -1
Loner -1
Overconfident -1
Secret -1 (Dragon)
Soft Spot -1 (Beef, all types but well cooked)

The 'Dragonslayer' Rune Blades

A pair of over sized one handed weapons with mysterious abilities, most heroes who've owned the have never unlocked every ability, in fact most don't know what are all the powers of these blades. What is known however are three main abilities.

First both blades can be combined into a larger two handed sword. Similar in appearance, with ancient runes along both sides, and red cloth wrapping loosely tied at the hilt.

The second is that naturally evil or supernatural creatures take more damage than other foes. Currently, though, they will not harm any non-Evil or non-supernatural creature, so unless they are Akumu, or are truly 'Evil' like serial murderers and the like, they literally cannot touch them.

Thirdly, the blade is razor sharp at a magical level, allowing it to cut anything with ease.

(Combining both into vague fighting styles.)

Dual blade technique

Dx4
Perks: Armour Piercing x1 (5), Multiple Targets x1 (10), Accurate x1 (5)
Flaws: Weapon (-5), Cancel (cannot affect non-Evil/supernatural targets, -10), Unwieldy (-5, it's more he's on full offense, leaving openings)

Greatsword Fighting

Dx5
Perks: Armour Piercing x1 (5), Area of Effect x1 (10), Defensive x1 (5), Effective x1
Flaws: Weapon (-5), Cancel (see above -10), Inaccurate x2 (-10)

We haven't quite figured out how to make sure everything works out, but then we're also pretty sure we're not doing the Magic system right either. But we're having a blast anyway, so...
cassius335
Worthy Tortoise

Post by cassius335 »

Chris Brady wrote:
cassius335 wrote:Can we see Aurunox's character sheet?
I've posted it three times! :mrgreen: But sure:

[Edited for clarity and minor grammar corrections]
Thank you.
Rawle Nyanzi
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Rawle Nyanzi »

Chris Brady wrote:
Rawle Nyanzi wrote:I could never do GM-owned player characters in my campaigns. Since I'm my group's designated GM, I have inside knowledge which would give me too many advantages. It just wouldn't be the same as playing a non-GM character, since they have to go off of limited knowledge and dodge the obstacles the GM throws at them.
It's more... If you've ever watched Sailor Moon, in the early seasons, Tuxedo Mask would come up from time to time, say something inspiring and dash off. But the show was all about Sailor Moon, so it would focus on that. The way the GM is running it, the game focuses entirely on Auren and Aurunox (AKA Arisawa Hayato), whenever Fukiko is in trouble we show up and help her out, and do most of the heavy lifting, as she's just 12 years old, at the moment, and brand new to this Magical Girl Crime Fighting thing. But for the most part we just do our thing.

During the first session of the game, we begrudgingly (in character) compared notes, and realized that we were likely called for the same reason. He, via his oracle, Hayato via the Rune Blades transporting him into the future. So we fight the Forces of Darkness.

Which is actually kinda literal. See, the badguys are actually human dreams, nightmares, given flesh by the magic that flows around the earth, called Akumu (Literally Japanese for Nightmare) and they possess people. The more powerful ones,the Nightmare Lords have been around for hundreds of years.

And because the Akumu are human dreams, that means that they'll never go away. Azyrus, himself, is both a Dream and the last remnant of Auren's Order (A former wizard's familiar, not that Azy believes that. Auren is very sure, however.) As such, Azy needs to find a champion, or champions, to help fight this evil every so often. The only way to truly stop these Akumu would be to kill humanity off, but no one knows that they exist, past the odd occurrences and strange phenomenon.

As for Magic, well, despite not many people knowing about it, it's just as strong as it was during Auren and Aurunox's time. Which is what the spells and the toys still function.

Anywho, that's the set up. Fukiko only shows up as either Auren's love interest (we gave him that extra flaw of Unwanted Love Interest, because the Art says so) or when she's in waaaay over her head. So far, that's meant about half the 10 sessions, and of those 5 (I'd like to say), 3 of them were out of 'costume'.
Sounds reasonable. As GM, I have to play multiple characters, so I can't get too attached to one.

As for your villains, they sound just like typical magical girl show villains -- and I mean that in a good way. It's also good that the magical girl isn't super competent from the start, as it gives your characters a chance to shine.
Rawle Nyanzi
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Rawle Nyanzi »

Chris Brady wrote:We haven't quite figured out how to make sure everything works out, but then we're also pretty sure we're not doing the Magic system right either. But we're having a blast anyway, so...
I had a similar problem in my previous two campaigns, but we were having the time of our lives, so we didn't care. Our next campaign, though, will be more by-the-book, but I'll use my computer to help keep track of things.
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

Rawle Nyanzi wrote:Sounds reasonable. As GM, I have to play multiple characters, so I can't get too attached to one.

As for your villains, they sound just like typical magical girl show villains -- and I mean that in a good way. It's also good that the magical girl isn't super competent from the start, as it gives your characters a chance to shine.
Well, we tend to trade off GM'ing duties from time to time. We're also trying to work an one on one game with Karis, which is a continuation of another, older 1e campaign. And we're doing it online, so we can keep the paperwork handy and not have to worry in the heat of the moment, we'll forget stuff.
Rawle Nyanzi wrote:I had a similar problem in my previous two campaigns, but we were having the time of our lives, so we didn't care. Our next campaign, though, will be more by-the-book, but I'll use my computer to help keep track of things.
I'm more of a physical book type. I begrudgingly use an iPad, simply because there's no physical copy for some of the games I've been trying out of late. But I can't read off a PC screen, no matter how good the resolution is. It's mostly the up down scrolling that's alien to my brain.
Rawle Nyanzi
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Rawle Nyanzi »

Chris Brady wrote:
Rawle Nyanzi wrote:I had a similar problem in my previous two campaigns, but we were having the time of our lives, so we didn't care. Our next campaign, though, will be more by-the-book, but I'll use my computer to help keep track of things.
I'm more of a physical book type. I begrudgingly use an iPad, simply because there's no physical copy for some of the games I've been trying out of late. But I can't read off a PC screen, no matter how good the resolution is. It's mostly the up down scrolling that's alien to my brain.
When I said I'd use the computer, I wasn't referring to the rulebook -- I have a printout of that in a binder. Rather, I'd use the computer to keep track of stats like HP, Endurance, and Experience, as well as the large number of character sheets that I prepared.

I even made an Excel spreadsheet that automatically reads character sheets (made in Excel) and calculates damage as well as number of dice to roll. It even has areas where you can put in the actual rolls to get the final damage, as well as areas where you can adjust the totals up or down (such as when a character has to decide what ability to use -- can't automate player choices, after all.)

I still need to use it in an actual game before I release it publicly, though.
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

I just realized, Hayato/Aurunox only has two attacks! I need to make more for him!
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

So this adventure I think put an end to the game for a while...

We started as Auren and Aurunox went into a portal in a park, after discovering that the 'realm' of the Queen of Nightmares was there. And she used to be a great evil, often kidnapping good looking young men. Although she hadn't done this in a while. But the threat was always there, and frankly she caused a lot of harm and dead boys whenever there were no Magical Girls around. However, no one had ever destroyed her. Just defeated and she'd vanish only to reappear a decade or so.

And so we entered her Realm, a zone based off Gothic horror, dark forests, werewolves and vampires, abandoned stone villages, all leading to an impossibly thin keep on a cliff overlooking her domain.

Unfortunately for the game, we got really lucky on the die rolls and more or less easily slaughtered about a hundred minions (the poor GM kept throwing them in by the handful.) Between the twin blades or the great sword swipes and the magical spells, we were taking them out faster than we thought possible.

So we all came up with a narrative, spearheaded by Auren's player (credit where credit's due) and this is how we more or less said it panned out. It was decided (not by me, actually. I'm just not that quick on the uptake as a player, sadly) that it would Aurunox who would... Well, this is what we decided happened:

The doors smash open and the two boys enter the massive chamber. The beautiful woman stands from her chair, clutching a staff. With a snarl she slashes out a blast that get the two swordsmen jump aside behind pillars as the explosive throws rocks and stones.

Auren whispers a spell and thrusts out his hand, sending his favourite spell out at their foe. She easily swats the fireball away, nullifying it with a single gesture.  The she returns fire with a lightning bolt that scores, scars and shatters the floor.  Hayato frowns from his gothically ornate column, is Auren right? Something hasn't been right. It all just feels off.

He sticks his flame mop head out and checks on their foe.  Another blast of violet is sent his way. But the erratic path veers it too far to be anything than frightening.  Suddenly fusing both rune blades into their larger two handed form and steps out from behind his cover.  Another streak races by but misses him barely.

Auren has to shout over the crash and rumble, "What are ye doing ye fool?"

Eyes narrowing as a shard of stone cuts his hair and his cheek, "Testing your theory."

"What?  Are ye daft?" Auren blinks.

"No, she's not going to hurt me," The shape cursed Dragon slowly, calmly walks towards the purple skinned woman, "Are you?"

She just shrieks in frustration and sends a series of violet bolts at him, cutting his skin through his shirt but nothing lethal.  He just keeps moving casually, "You're tired, aren't you?  You've been doing this for a long time and you're done. This, all this, is a show for us. You want us to defeat you."

"What do you know?"  But lowers her elegant and long gloved hand, panting, the batwings unfurling from her shoulders.  But instead of raised menacingly, they seem cautiously open.  Auren also comes out of hiding, but for whatever reason let's Hayato speak.

"Nothing, but I think I can guess.  He spurned you, didn't he.  He had the most beautiful woman in the world and threw her affections away.  Or worse used them, and then tossed her aside, the idiot," His tone is gentle, caring, his sword held down, as she flinches, looking away angrily.  Auren realizes that his companion guessed something right, "And you were angry, oh so angry at him, the world, everything.  Then you found this power and lashed out with it, over and over.  Until you realized that it brought you nothing.  There's nothing for you here is there. You just want it to end."

About to lift her hand, she suddenly drops to her knees, "I wanted to give him everything.  I would have but no, my stupid, spiteful sister stole him away.  And in the end, I was no better than she.  It was so easy to believe that I was better, and yet...  How did you know?"

"I didn't but my friend here is a powerful wizard, but he said that we both couldn't compare to your full power. Let's face it, he is the most powerful wizard of his age, and I? I'm a Dragon, I am magic, I should have been able to break my curse here, like I've done before. But you've known we were coming the moment we stepped into this realm and you probably could have stopped us at any time,” Hayato smiles softly, motioning around himself, “And yet, here we are, inside your keep, all of your minions defeated and dispersed. He sensed you were holding back for a reason and I decided to take a guess."

Finally in front of her, and barely cresting her extravagantly long blue haired head as she rises once more, Hayato still keeps his stance nonthreatening, “As for the boy... Well, I was told that your attacks always targeted men, mainly handsome ones, over the years. It was all a guess though.”

"I see," And just watches him kneel like a European knight bestowing fealty to her.  He seems to be waiting, and the grey eyed sorcerer debates blasting her, but holds again.  She almost shyly places an affectionate hand on the swordsman's head, "So what now?"

"I can, in theory, get rid of the Akumu possessing you," Hayato keeps his fire head bowed, "This weapon is the Blade of Evil's Bane."

"Really? You can stop the voice?" She sounds eager, startling Auren.

"If you're not truly evil, it'll disperse and cleanse you of the taint.  If you are, it will destroy you utterly," The teenager says truthfully.  She looks thoughtful as if considering it, the wizard can't sense any malice, but it's not going to be that easy?  Is it?

"So what would I need to do?  Let you stab me with it?" The sardonic tone is clear in what she believes is a trick.  But Hayato simply shakes his head, "I could, but all you need to do is cut yourself with it.  A finger is all it needs to work."

Then taking the sword flat in both hands and offers it to her, "I give you the choice."

Hesitatingly, the slim hand reaches for the edge.  A pause then she grips it tight.  It's clearly cutting her, but no blood, no screaming, just silence and light as the the purple skin tone peels away, her shimmering skintight dress is slowly being replaced by an old style school uniform, older than anything than the girls' wear at the boys' school. She looks at herself with a smile, the black haired schoolgirl replaced the mature Queen of Nightmares. Then she stumbles, and Hayato catches her, the sword clattering to the stone floor.

“Oh dear, I'm sorry,” She says as he holds her in his arms. He shakes his head, “You're just tired.”

“Yes, I am, so very tired,” Her hair turns grey in streaks, her body thinning out, skin wrinkling slowly. The Dragon turned boy kisses her forheard, “It's all right, it's over, you can sleep now.”

“My name is Yamamura Manami,” Her voice softens, although older.

“I'm Arisawa Hayato, and my friend is Auren,” He returns the favour.

Another smile, and her eyes close, “I wish I had met you both sooner.”

“So do I, Manami-chan,” The young swords man replies, as she exhales for one last time. He lays her down on the carpet that led to her throne reverently, and putting her hands into a traditional resting pose. Then picks up his sword and places it onto his back, and it adheres magically as it always does.

The familiar rumble of fading Akumu power shakes the castle and snaps Auren out of his reverie, Hayato helps by sighing, “We need to leave.”

A solemn nod, and the portal spell finally works, as most of the arcane forces blocking it have left and with one last silent glance back, they exit the the crumbling castle.

Once outside, back in the park, both of them stand there, unsure what to do or say. Silence reigns despite the bright sunlight cheerfully unaware of their mood.

“Hey, guys!” Fukiko suddenly appears from nowhere and practically pounces on Auren. Who suddenly looks incredibly angry, but Hayato simply says, “She doesn't know.”

Which calms him, and gets her to release him confused, “What happened?”

“Not now, Kitten, not today. We have things we need to deal with,” Hayato gives her an odd, sad smile that's so unlike him gets her looking worried. He pulls out his phone and plugs in his headphones and selects a playlist that fits his current melancholy mood.

“Um, OK,” Her blue eyes tracking both of them, as Azyrus hops up onto one of the nearby seesaws and shrewdly asks, “What about the Queen of Nightmares?”

Auren sticks his hands into his uniform pockets as is his habit, kicking the school bag to an upright position, “She... Won't be bothering anyone anymore.”

“I see,” And thankfully the winged familiar leaves it as that. All three stand awkwardly, until Hayato slips on his earphones and smiles at them all, “I'll see you at school.”

Then all three nod and walk their separate ways for today, as the Saturday continues as if nothing had ever happened. And to the outside world, at least for today, it did.

I might write some of the other adventures we had, but for now...