Making a Pokemon Trainer

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Cedict
Shelled Plebeian

Making a Pokemon Trainer

Post by Cedict »

Not sure how this would be done, i have looked into Minion and that doesn't really translate right, companion would be closer, but that seems like it is more of a 1 critter thing. I know i could make it work with the Unique Ability but i would prefer not to use that if i could avoid it as it would be up to me as a GM.

Also, Companion makes the critter weaker than you which is not in the style of Pokemon at all where most of these critters could make mush of any human if they had the inclination.

I have thought of making a character sheet for the Pokemon my players capture, that way i can edit as i see fit.

Any suggestions guys?
Accept the things you cannot change. Have the courage to change the things you can; And, have the wisdom to know the difference.
R-90-2
Worthy Tortoise

Re: Making a Pokemon Trainer

Post by R-90-2 »

For having multiple monster friends, that would really depend on if you were able to convince the GM to let the Walking Arsenal ability apply to Companion.

As for the second concern, that really depends on 1.) How strong you've built the trainer himself (see Yuu), and secondly, normal humans aren't usually built as PCs, they're built as secondaries or Minions.
Cedict
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Cedict »

R-90-2 wrote:For having multiple monster friends, that would really depend on if you were able to convince the GM to let the Walking Arsenal ability apply to Companion.

As for the second concern, that really depends on 1.) How strong you've built the trainer himself (see Yuu), and secondly, normal humans aren't usually built as PCs, they're built as secondaries or Minions.
Well, i'll be GMing it and the Pokemon Trainer needs to modify the skill of his Pokemon, they still need to be characters. I could see a Pokeball as gear, levels 1-5 allowing for different Pokeballs

1 - Pokeball
2 - Premiere Ball
3 - Great Ball
4 - Ultra Ball
5 - Master Ball

This would give walking arsenal something to attach too, but even so i don't really like WA for this. However, i could also see the badges acting as gear to improve the trainer. Like in the original games where the badges not only had something to do with obedience, the boulder badge made Pokemon attacks hit a little harder.

all in all i was planning on using base 0, and saying no more than +10 in abilities for the trainers. the Pokemon are different species to species and i could use more or less points to make them as need demands.
Accept the things you cannot change. Have the courage to change the things you can; And, have the wisdom to know the difference.
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Post by sniffycrab »

Are you trying to do the game or the show? In the games Pokemon are treated like faceless minions and cannon fodder while in the show some of them get bigger roles.

Since you must burn through both 20 health and endurance, making them companions/secondary characters is probably a good idea for a base. Or else you will be spending a huge amount of time each on battle.

Now I admit OVA is more suited to Monster Rancher or Digimon, where you have a single monster. The biggest problem anyone faces when making a Pokemon tabletop rpg is stating out the 100+breeds of Pokemon and the huge amounts of book work that comes wit it. I'd suggest making an original game *like* Pokemon and saving yourself a huge headache.
cassius335
Worthy Tortoise

Post by cassius335 »

Cedict wrote:Not sure how this would be done, i have looked into Minion and that doesn't really translate right, companion would be closer, but that seems like it is more of a 1 critter thing. I know i could make it work with the Unique Ability but i would prefer not to use that if i could avoid it as it would be up to me as a GM.

Also, Companion makes the critter weaker than you which is not in the style of Pokemon at all where most of these critters could make mush of any human if they had the inclination.

I have thought of making a character sheet for the Pokemon my players capture, that way i can edit as i see fit.
It's an interesting test-anime for the OVA System, that's for certain.
sniffycrab wrote:Now I admit OVA is more suited to Monster Rancher or Digimon, where you have a single monster. The biggest problem anyone faces when making a Pokemon tabletop rpg is stating out the 100+breeds of Pokemon and the huge amounts of book work that comes wit it. I'd suggest making an original game *like* Pokemon and saving yourself a huge headache.
Or you just stat up the Pokémon you need & let other people pick up where you left off.

Though if you had to restrict yourself, sticking to the original 151 wouldn't be terrible.
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Post by sniffycrab »

I just had an idea. The Trainer could have "Pokeball Throw" as a finisher attack to use on wild Pokemon.
Cedict
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Cedict »

sniffycrab wrote:Are you trying to do the game or the show? In the games Pokemon are treated like faceless minions and cannon fodder while in the show some of them get bigger roles.

Since you must burn through both 20 health and endurance, making them companions/secondary characters is probably a good idea for a base. Or else you will be spending a huge amount of time each on battle.

Now I admit OVA is more suited to Monster Rancher or Digimon, where you have a single monster. The biggest problem anyone faces when making a Pokemon tabletop rpg is stating out the 100+breeds of Pokemon and the huge amounts of book work that comes wit it. I'd suggest making an original game *like* Pokemon and saving yourself a huge headache.
I was going to do a mix of the game and the show where there is a defined map and set of Pokemon you can find in any given area. More like in the show where with the right determination and skill a weaker Pokemon can overcome a more powerful one. I want my players to bond with their companions.
cassius335 wrote:Or you just stat up the Pokémon you need & let other people pick up where you left off.

Though if you had to restrict yourself, sticking to the original 151 wouldn't be terrible.
this is what i was thinking as well Cassius, as a way to overcome the massive amount of books work, i am planning on generating Pokemon as they come up. Or run some kinda generic stats except for plot-Pokemon. I played with the idea of making them like minions, but a Caterpie cant have the same endurance and hp as a Charizard, it just doesn't fit.
sniffycrab wrote:I just had an idea. The Trainer could have "Pokeball Throw" as a finisher attack to use on wild Pokemon.
I was thinking of making the trainer at 20 hp and 20 end and then have command abilities that can raise a Pokemons Roll, DX, Evasion ect. I do enjoy the idea of a capture final attack.

In the end, this is going to be a MASSIVE undertaking.
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Post by sniffycrab »

Cedict wrote: I was thinking of making the trainer at 20 hp and 20 end and then have command abilities that can raise a Pokemons Roll, DX, Evasion ect. I do enjoy the idea of a capture final attack.

In the end, this is going to be a MASSIVE undertaking.
The Player Character is always base 40 HP and 40 EP, no exceptions. Even Braun the wimpy inventor who can't fight his way out of a paper sack had this base. NPC Trainers can have secondary character stats, but Player Characters are the star of your game and get special treatment.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Honestly, I would probably just make a new Ability called Trainer which allowed the character to successfully control pokémon of a certain power. (Roughly analogous to the video games badges allowing you to control certain levels of pokémon.) So +1 might allow you to successfully command a rattata, while +5 would let you command a legendary pokémon. The pokémon themselves would be written up completely separate from the pokémon trainer. This also works well with how you suggested handling the various pokéballs.

This way your character can’t run out and collect a bunch of powerful pokémon without first learning the ropes and learning the power of friendship, etc., but at the same time you don’t have to shoehorn how to handle having a hundred pocket monster pals into the current rules, either.
cassius335
Worthy Tortoise

Post by cassius335 »

Clay wrote:Honestly, I would probably just make a new Ability called Trainer which allowed the character to successfully control pokémon of a certain power. (Roughly analogous to the video games badges allowing you to control certain levels of pokémon.) So +1 might allow you to successfully command a rattata, while +5 would let you command a legendary pokémon. The pokémon themselves would be written up completely separate from the pokémon trainer. This also works well with how you suggested handling the various pokéballs.

This way your character can’t run out and collect a bunch of powerful pokémon without first learning the ropes and learning the power of friendship, etc., but at the same time you don’t have to shoehorn how to handle having a hundred pocket monster pals into the current rules, either.
I like it. Could work well using Base Stats as a guide. And/Or do Trainer as a rank, with 1 being a starting trainer, 2 being experienced, 3 being Veteran Trainer, 4 being Elite 4 and 5 being reserved for Region Champions & the elusive Pokémon Master rank.
Joe_Mello
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Joe_Mello »

Clay wrote:Honestly, I would probably just make a new Ability called Trainer which allowed the character to successfully control pokémon of a certain power. (Roughly analogous to the video games badges allowing you to control certain levels of pokémon.) So +1 might allow you to successfully command a rattata, while +5 would let you command the top percentage of rattata.
Fixed that for you.

(Not Sorry)
Joe_Mello: Could you make a common sense roll, please, Ryu?
Ryushikaze: With Smart?
Joe_Mello: Sure
*Ryushikaze rolls*
Joe_Mello: SHE'S DEAD!