About Weapon arsenal and how to use it.

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Griswald
Shelled Plebeian

About Weapon arsenal and how to use it.

Post by Griswald »

Hi

Since recently i've bougth the PDF!
Wonderfull job on the layout and rules!
But i have a question, i'm triyng to create a character:

Ezra Scarlet (Fairy Tail). But i'm sort of stuck on how it works.

I thought Weapon arsenal (gear should be how she would function)
But can somebody give me an example how to use the Weapon arsenal abillity?
(or how gear fuctions, i don't really get it)

Can i take the abillity and then add abilletys to certain attacks?
Like if she takes an armor , she get + armor + attack or something?

Or should she function trough transformation? And is their a possibillety to have more then 1 transformation? that's why i thought it should be with Weapon arsenal.

I hope i made myself understandable (not a native english speaker/writer)

ps:

I was thinking of giving her 4 armor options to use as an attack:
Not nececeraly all useable at the start of the character , as she needs to grow!

I hope you can help me!

Grtz
Griswald
Edsel
Worthy Tortoise

Re: About Weapon arsenal and how to use it.

Post by Edsel »

I believe you understand it correctly.

I would buy the sword and the armor as two different Gears. It is legal to have multiple instances of the same Ability.

Buying Walking Arsenal allows you to change the Perks and Flaws associated with the Ability at will.

This could be costly though. For instance if you want Gear (Armor) and Gear (Attack) both at level 3, you would then need Walking Arsenal at level 3 twice. That's 12 levels of Abilities before you buy anything else. It might be more cost effective to get Magic, Arcane at a high level and get an Endurance Reserve to go with it. That would allow you a lot more flexibility with the sorts of Abilities you could manifest. You can always choose to limit your spells to things appropriate to the character.
"I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me. That is all." ~Suzumiya Haruhi
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Post by sniffycrab »

Why would you even buy Armor or weapons as gear? The sorcerer guy wears medieval armor with just Armored and his sword is covered by the weapon flaw on his attacks.
Edsel
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Edsel »

Ezra Scarlet's armor and weapon are manifestations of her magic. Depending on the suite of abilities she plans to use her armor and sword change their appearance. In a sense it is a series of Transformations, but she has so many forms that it'd be far to costly to buy a dozen, or so, Transforms.

Frankly I think the Magic, Arcane route would work best.
"I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me. That is all." ~Suzumiya Haruhi
Griswald
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Griswald »

Thanks for your replies!

Firstly it is true that the Magic route would be an easier way to go. But She then loses a turn for each suit she puts on.

I was first thinking of Weapon arsenal 3+ (gear 3+ (Armor set (including weapon that goes with it)
So this would cost 6. wich is some bit.
but i think now i can take for example
a Thunder suit that makes her +1 agile,+1 armor,+1attack? and give the suite extra perks and flaws. Or isn't this the way it works.
(she could lose her armors if they are stolen. With magic they can't realy be stolen.

The magic route she should cast a spel. (wich is consistent with the series) And then whait a turn to use it to attack.
But how do you write this down for magic? Like the Sample PC Auren?

And it shouldn't realy cost endurance to put on a set does it ? It should cost if she wanted to do a bigger attack.

i might try to make both. and see what the difference is!

--->After reading magic arcane again, i do consider this as the best way to go. But could you give me an example how to write this down correctly ? <---

:mrgreen:
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

I’m not familiar enough with Fairy Tail to speak authoritatively about the best way to handle Ezra, but did you consider Transformation and Walking Arsenal? This would allow you to create various equipment sets without buying a bunch of individual Abilities + Walking Arsenals.

Or if she’s able to switch magical equipment at will (instead of sticking with one set per fight as Transformation would imply), use Gear + Walking Arsenal. This would be far more economical than individually purchasing Walking Arsenal for Armored, Attack, etc.
Yalborap
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Yalborap »

Clay, could you elaborate on how you'd do that sort of thing, mechanically? I believe we've talked about how Walking Arsenal works in a thread before, but some clarification, especially for using it with a point-modifier like Transformation would help, I think.
Griswald
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Griswald »

Well I'm still stuck on her.
Bu think its good to go with transformation + walking arsenal
Since i just started i'm not very familliar how to put it on paper/use it.
NoblePrime
Shelled Plebeian

Post by NoblePrime »

I love the Fairy Tail series and also new to OVA but I really like how streamline it is. As to Ezra and you are trying to stay true to the character then you really want to try to find a way to change armor and weapon and still attack.

A little background regarding Erza magic. In the Fairy Tail world Erza's magically ability is called Requip. Others have this ability as well but she is the only one that can change Armor and Weapon as a set. She is also renown for being the fastest as using requip, changing various time per battle. She has an unknown number of outfits.

I have read the rule book a couple of times and I am not sure how to go about this effectively. At first glance I would say transformation however the way it reads, it is only a single transformation. I looked at Arcane Magic which could work if there was a way to remove the action use. I thought a perk might do it but there wasn't one and from what I can tell are more for attacks than transformations. So Walking Arsenal is a good choice since you can adjust each weapon drawn. If this could be linked in some way to Armour ability that would be a solid choice but not sure how you would do that.

So I get Perks and Flaws but what is Affinities? Not sure if this could be used to help in this situation.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

There’s several ways to go about this.

Walking Arsenal + Gear: This allows you to define a bunch of different equipment sets. Just create a bunch of Gear Abilities and list them together for easy finding. They can be used at any time without penalty and interchangeably, but you don’t get the same power “boost” as you get with Transformation.

Walking Arsenal + Transformation: Transformation gives you a lot more bang for your buck, but by its nature you can only use it once or twice per adventure. If you want your character to summon equipment a lot, you should probably go for the previous combination instead.

Arcane Magic: This achieves a similar purpose to the previous combos, but you don’t have to buy two Abilities to get it to work. Just create spells that create Gear or even Transformation Abilities. However, you’re going to get slapped with an Endurance cost every time you summon the equipment. But if its magical in nature and this summoning does drain a character’s energy to use, this might be the most appropriate choice.

If you do use Walking Arsenal, you should probably buy it and its linked Ability at the same Level. Otherwise your alternate equipment will be capped at a weaker number.
Chaosmancer
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Chaosmancer »

Another time when this thread seems to be the closest to my own questions, for reference, I'm new and haven't played the game yet. I typically GM though so I want to solidify my understanding of certain rules.

For Weapon Arsenal, it seems tailor made for abilities like Vehicle (Mech) or Gear [reread rules to formulate question and saw it specifically says that d'oh], and if I understand it correctly basically allows you to reconfigure the abilities from something like Gear.

For example, because examples make things easier to line up, if I took Gear +3 and Weapon Arsenal +3 I could create a series of magic gems. Any number of them I wanted, as long as the abilities they each individually had did not exceed a total of +3. So a Healing Gem with the +3 Healing ability and a Barrier Gem with +3 Barrier and an Illusionist's Gem with +3 Illusion. And I could switch between them as a free action whenever I felt like (as long as they were all on my person)

While incredibly cool, if it does work this way it makes me nervous of abuse. For the cost of 6 points someone could simply switch in any ability they want, with the downsides of it possibly being stolen and not always being on (which for things like invisibility or incorporeality is less of a problem I'd think)
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

While it’s true that abuse of Walking Arsenal is a potential pitfall, it’s hardly the only place that can be munchkined. For 5 points (one less than the six) you could max out Magic instead, which offers the same benefits, and you can even go up to +5 if you don’t mind an Endurance cost and can freely apply it to other characters.

In the end, OVA is more about telling stories than perfectly balanced gameplay, and there are places in the rules where that’s more obvious than others. But if you find players taking advantage of the rules for personal gain instead of good narrative, take advantage of the fact that Walking Arsenal most often accounts for physical objects. A person can only carry so many things at a time, and situations may arise where they’re simply inaccessible. Of course, Players can tack on Dimensional Pocket, but then you’re looking at another 2-3 points...9 points for a single trick is kind of expensive!