Magic, Arcane question.

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Alderaan Crumbs
Shelled Plebeian

Magic, Arcane question.

Post by Alderaan Crumbs »

I was wondering about Magic, Arcane and if it stacks with permanent abilities. For example, if I have a +2 "Strong" and cast a spell for a +3 does that give me a total of +5, or does the spell rating replace my natural rating for the duration of the spell? Thanks in advance!
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Re: Magic, Arcane question.

Post by sniffycrab »

I would think it stacks, but wouldn't allow a boost to go above +5. When you cast +3 strong you are spending the same endurance no matter you are helping wimpy Will or buff Bob. So it should have the same impact on Either. Just my two cents.
Alderaan Crumbs
Shelled Plebeian

I agree that it shouldn't push Abilities past +5; that would be too much. The reason I feel it should stack is the bonus from Abilities such as Transformation do, so why not Magic, Arcane? The committed Endurance balances it, me thinks.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

They stack. Otherwise you’d be in a situation where casting a spell could make someone weaker (Strong +1 replacing Strong +2), or one where magic has no effect at all (Strong +2 remains Strong +2). Neither is terribly heroic.

That said, if these sort of limitations gel better with how you picture magic in your setting, there’s no reason Arcane Magic can’t behave this way. Though you may want to adjust the Endurance costs to reflect its reduced utility.

In any case, if you are worried that Players will abuse this stacking, the +5 cap isn’t a bad idea.
Alderaan Crumbs
Shelled Plebeian

Thanks! The +5 cap just makes sense or else you can get to silly amounts of dice.