New to OVA, in need of some clarification on Attacks and DX

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

SnowLily
Shelled Plebeian

New to OVA, in need of some clarification on Attacks and DX

Post by SnowLily »

Hello, I recently bought the new OVA PDF and I'm working towards running my first ever role play as a GM.

I'm having some trouble however regarding the ability Passion.

Lets say a character attacks using a bow and arrow,
how will something like, Passion (archery) have an affect on the characters attack dice and or damage multiplier?

Currently I have a player who's character is a hunter that uses a bow and arrow, and is trying to use Passion (hunting) to add to his attack dice.

Thank you for any help, I'm really happy and excited to be role playing with this system.
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Re: New to OVA, in need of some clarification on Attacks and

Post by Chris Brady »

Attack dice. The results of the roll is multiplied by the Dx.

Hope this helps.
"And now my friends, a Dragon's Toast! To life's little blessings; wars, plagues and all forms of evil. Their presence keeps us alert-- And their absence keeps us grateful!" - T.A. Barron
Edsel
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Edsel »

SnowLily wrote: how will something like, Passion (archery) have an affect on the characters attack dice and or damage multiplier?
In my opinion this would either add to the attack dice or the DX, one or the other. It is up to you which you think is more appropriate.
SnowLily wrote: Currently I have a player who's character is a hunter that uses a bow and arrow, and is trying to use Passion (hunting) to add to his attack dice.
I would say that this would add bonus dice on things like tracking game, knowing where to find game, building blinds and such. Perhaps it could give a bonus to attack dice or DX when used against game animals.

Passion is a very subjective skill. The GM and the player need to be in agreement about what it ought and ought not to do ahead of time. Then just have fun. Remember the system is supposed to be Open Versatile Anime.
"I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me. That is all." ~Suzumiya Haruhi
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

By the rules, Passion adds to your roll, not your DX.

However, in the case of Passion (Archery) you may want to take it as a Knowledge instead. I mean, it’s possible the character REALLY IS SUPER EXCITED AND EMPOWERED BY THE HISTORY AND MAJESTY OF ARCHERY....but if your Player is just trying to pump up their rolls, Knowledge will achieve the same purpose.

On the other hand, if we consider Passion (Hunting) instead, this could convey a very specific thing. The thrill of the hunt, the excitement of the chase, man vs. nature! If a character is trying to shoot a switch, or just defend himself in combat, his passion really shouldn’t apply. Shooting another guy isn’t quite the same thing as hunting the guy, after all.