Are ones still not added up?

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

bushido11
Worthy Tortoise

Are ones still not added up?

Post by bushido11 »

In OVA Revised, if multiple ones show up (and it's not a Rolling All Ones scenario), can they still added together? Unlike the original OVA RPG, there is no "One is the Loneliest Number" rule (where ones don't get added up) or at least I didn't find it. Just wanted to know if that was still the case or not.
Edsel
Worthy Tortoise

Re: Are ones still not added up?

Post by Edsel »

Based on my reading of the rules: If you roll multiple ones you can add them together and use that total if it will give you the best results. However if you are rolling negative dice you never add multiples. And if you roll all ones in any test then it is an automatic failure, an instance of bad luck and the GM may give you a complication as well.
"I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me. That is all." ~Suzumiya Haruhi
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Re: Are ones still not added up?

Post by Clay »

Bushido,

I went back and forth on this for a bit, but decided to drop the “don’t add ones” rule from the first edition of the game. For one, this rule is now in an optional section, and I didn’t see any reason to make it more complicated than it needed to be. For two, the odds of your ones adding up beyond your other dice are really, really remote. Seemed a waste of time to make everyone intentionally avoid adding ones when you’ll almost never have a higher result if you do.

But, if you like skipping on the adding of ones like the first edition, by all means. I don’t think it’ll have a quantifiable effect on the game either way.