2014-09-02

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Atmo
Exalted Amphibian

2014-09-02

Post by Atmo »

Drivethru said that was an update on 2014-09-02, what was it?
Edsel
Worthy Tortoise

Re: 2014-09-02

Post by Edsel »

There was a revision, if I remember correctly, just a few weeks ago to the backer PDFs. Of course since the finalized version is now out this may be a moot point.
"I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me. That is all." ~Suzumiya Haruhi
gishzida
Shelled Plebeian

Post by gishzida »

Actually the question is still pertinent.

I show an update posted on 8-4-2014 in my DriveThruRPG library. There is no indication as to what the update included but I can tell you the PDF is not identified as version 2.0... In fact, the PDF does not even indicate that this is a "Version 1.0 revised" nor has any of the "publication information" on the copyright page in the PDF changed. So what was updated?

EDIT: The only difference I can tell is that the original version I have is named "OVA-WT1001.pdf" and the revised version is named "OVA_-_Open_Versatile_Anime_Role-Playing_Game_(1509131).pdf"

In addition, the "1.0" version product page has been removed at DriveThruRPG... I suppose that it has been replaced by the version 2.0 page

I can't seem to find a list of the errata for version 1.0 nor one which actually identifies what the differences are between version 1.0 and version 2.0.

I am assuming that there is no free upgrade to the new version so what are the new features in Version 2.0 which would make me want to buy it?

regards,
cassius335
Worthy Tortoise

Post by cassius335 »

gishzida wrote:I am assuming that there is no free upgrade to the new version so what are the new features in Version 2.0 which would make me want to buy it?
What are you talking about? If it's in your DriveThru library, just redownload it and boom... you should have the latest version.
Edsel
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Edsel »

And of course this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12361 shows specifically what was revised for the final release.
"I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me. That is all." ~Suzumiya Haruhi
gishzida
Shelled Plebeian

Post by gishzida »

Now I really am terribly confused.

Here is a cut and paste from the "revised version" dated 08-04-2014 in my DriveThruRPG library account:

Copyright © 2005 Wise Turtle Publishing
All rights reserved under international law. This book may not be reproduced, in whole or in part, without expressed consent from the publisher, except for copies of the Character Record for personal use, or quotes for use in reviews.
Wise Turtle Publishing
www.wiseturtle.com

There is no mention of 2.0 on the front page.

OTOH -- The SAMPLE file for version 2.0 posted on DRiveThruRPG has the following copyright info:

WISE TURTLE
www.wiseturtle.com
OVA
© 2014 Wise Turtle. All rights reserved.

So either the update posted on 08-04-2014 is strictly for version 1.0 or somehow DriveThruRPG has things confused [They keep messing with the library download interface and breaking features]. I lean toward the former simply because I would not think Clay would "give away" the new version to some one that bought version 1.0 three years ago.

I did not even find out there was a "Kickstarter" until I saw the new version in the store.

Thanks for trying to answer the question tho'...

regards,
cassius335
Worthy Tortoise

Post by cassius335 »

Yeah, 2005 would be the old OVA, not the current OVA Revised. Have you tried to download your current update to see which version you get?
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

As you’ve surmised, the revised OVA is an entirely separate product. When you check your library, you should look for “OVA: The Anime Role-Playing Game” not “OVA - Open Versatile Anime Role-Playing Game.”

The “update” you saw for the old game contains nothing of interest. I just reuploaded the file while preparing for the new edition of the game. Sorry for any confusion.

As for why you should invest in the new edition, the rules have been expanded, clarified, and made in general much better than the first edition, and likewise the art and layout have been entirely redone. Whether this is enough to consider buying the new game is up to you, but if you’d like a sample of what to expect, you can read through the free Player Book: http://www.wiseturtle.com/OVAPlayerBook-Miho.pdf
gishzida
Shelled Plebeian

Post by gishzida »

Thanks Clay for the clarification. It is much appreciated.

EDIT: and no, the new version does not appear in my library at all... only the old version

regards!