Standard Issue Sidearm

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Re: Standard Issue Sidearm

Post by sniffycrab »

Chris Brady wrote:The Ammunition flaw is NOT actually supposed to be used for ammo in a weapon. Honestly, I have no clue as to what it's for, but it's not for weapons outside of big starship weapons, or some such, which should not have stats in the first place, because they're plot devices, not actual levels of gear.

Ammunition is for those items that are powerful but limited. Like a rocket launcher or charged magic item. You have to refill it between fights and can't use it all the time. It should not be applied to a personal firearm in my opinion.

Clay gave Captain Jiro the ammunition flaw, but I assumed that is because he carries around a hand cannon and no box of bullets in his back pocket.
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

sniffycrab wrote:
Chris Brady wrote:The Ammunition flaw is NOT actually supposed to be used for ammo in a weapon. Honestly, I have no clue as to what it's for, but it's not for weapons outside of big starship weapons, or some such, which should not have stats in the first place, because they're plot devices, not actual levels of gear.

Ammunition is for those items that are powerful but limited. Like a rocket launcher or charged magic item. You have to refill it between fights and can't use it all the time. It should not be applied to a personal firearm in my opinion.

Clay gave Captain Jiro the ammunition flaw, but I assumed that is because he carries around a hand cannon and no box of bullets in his back pocket.
The flaw states it takes a full day to reload, or extensive down time. Jiro's character sheet tells me even Clay has no idea what to do with the flaw. Also, a .357 or .44 revolver is a hand cannon and holds six shots, which is more than the flaw allows. If you want to nitpick.
"And now my friends, a Dragon's Toast! To life's little blessings; wars, plagues and all forms of evil. Their presence keeps us alert-- And their absence keeps us grateful!" - T.A. Barron
R-90-2
Worthy Tortoise

Post by R-90-2 »

Chris Brady wrote: The flaw states it takes a full day to reload, or extensive down time. Jiro's character sheet tells me even Clay has no idea what to do with the flaw. Also, a .357 or .44 revolver is a hand cannon and holds six shots, which is more than the flaw allows. If you want to nitpick.
If Jiro is really out of his mind, he could be packing an S&W .500, which only holds five.

I only tend to use Ammo for certain vehicle equipment, things that require really big batteries or specialized ammo, like Battletech's backpack flamethrowers and particle cannons, or other special circumstance weapons, like a ninja who only carries a few firebombs on his person at any given time, so has to make new ones as part of the morning routine. Or those fighting techniques that you can't use too often, or they will destroy you.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

If I recall, the rules say “around five times.” There’s fudging room for making that a six-shooter. This is taking the flaw too literally anyway. While Jiro can only make 5 Attack Rolls, one could just as easily flavor that as five bursts of bullets, or even five times completely emptying the chamber, followed up by Jiro spitting out replacement rounds from between his teeth in vengeful fury to reload before his next attack.

It’s just a pacing/cinematic thing. When he runs out of bullets, it’s less to say Jiro COULDN’T go back to the police department and get some more, and more “At this point in the story, Jiro tosses the gun aside and gets ready to introduce the opposition to Mr. Left Jab and Dr. Right Hook.”

And finally, the rules only suggest 24 hours and leave the exact reload method/time up to the GM.

Again, if you want bullets to be a momentary nuisance, choose Activation or maybe even Requirement (Must spend an action to reload every few attacks.)
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Wow, looked up the .500. That’s a BIG GUN. ...and seems totally appropriate for Jiro!
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

Clay wrote:If I recall, the rules say “around five times.” There’s fudging room for making that a six-shooter. This is taking the flaw too literally anyway. While Jiro can only make 5 Attack Rolls, one could just as easily flavor that as five bursts of bullets, or even five times completely emptying the chamber, followed up by Jiro spitting out replacement rounds from between his teeth in vengeful fury to reload before his next attack.

It’s just a pacing/cinematic thing. When he runs out of bullets, it’s less to say Jiro COULDN’T go back to the police department and get some more, and more “At this point in the story, Jiro tosses the gun aside and gets ready to introduce the opposition to Mr. Left Jab and Dr. Right Hook.”

And finally, the rules only suggest 24 hours and leave the exact reload method/time up to the GM.

Again, if you want bullets to be a momentary nuisance, choose Activation or maybe even Requirement (Must spend an action to reload every few attacks.)
Personally, if that's the case, it should cost more than 5 points.
"And now my friends, a Dragon's Toast! To life's little blessings; wars, plagues and all forms of evil. Their presence keeps us alert-- And their absence keeps us grateful!" - T.A. Barron
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

You can up the cost if you like. For me, it’s not very limiting to have only five shots of an attack. Certainly not when compared with other -10s.
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Post by sniffycrab »

Gear Idea.

Spare clip. Each Die/level lets you reload your ammunition attack between fights and use it again before having to Wait a day, go back to base, ect. When you get more ammo the normal way the spare clip is reloaded as well.