Precognition

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Edsel
Worthy Tortoise

Precognition

Post by Edsel »

I'm converting a character from another RPG. I notice that there is no Precognition Ability in the OVA book so I am thinking I need to make it a Unique Ability. Has anyone else done anything with prescient abilities? Just looking for ideas or input before I take a crack at creating it.
"I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me. That is all." ~Suzumiya Haruhi
CursedEmbrace
Worthy Tortoise

Re: Precognition

Post by CursedEmbrace »

Edsel wrote:I'm converting a character from another RPG. I notice that there is no Precognition Ability in the OVA book so I am thinking I need to make it a Unique Ability. Has anyone else done anything with prescient abilities? Just looking for ideas or input before I take a crack at creating it.
If it's framed in a particular way I could see 'Sixth Sense' doubling as a pre-cog kind of skill if the player wanted it, unless you want an ability with the scope of looking into the less than immediate future.
Edsel
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Edsel »

I had actually put some thought into this. Assigning Difficulty Numbers based on how far into the future the character was attempting to see. For Example.

DN2 = A few seconds into the Future
DN4 = A few minutes into the Future
DN6 = A few hours into the Future
DN8 = About a day into the Future
DN10 = A few days into the Future
DN12 = About a week into the Future
DN15 = About a month into the Future

Of course the caveat would have to be that the character can simply see a possible future. Their actions can alter that future. By merely acting differently, based on their knowledge of the future, they might change that future. In short "difficult to see. always in motion is the future."

However the player in question has now decided against playing a precog and she is instead interested in Psychic and Telekinesis, so I doubt I will do much work on this for now.
"I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me. That is all." ~Suzumiya Haruhi
Joe_Mello
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Joe_Mello »

Edsel wrote:DN4 = Twenty minutes into the Future
Fixed that for you :P

(Glub help me if no one gets this reference)
Joe_Mello: Could you make a common sense roll, please, Ryu?
Ryushikaze: With Smart?
Joe_Mello: Sure
*Ryushikaze rolls*
Joe_Mello: SHE'S DEAD!
Edsel
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Edsel »

I'm ancient enough to know 1980s television. :wink:
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

...Is that a Max Headroom reference???
"And now my friends, a Dragon's Toast! To life's little blessings; wars, plagues and all forms of evil. Their presence keeps us alert-- And their absence keeps us grateful!" - T.A. Barron
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

I left out precognition because it usually tends to either A) be of the vague omen variety and Sixth Sense works just fine or B) be problematic since it basically forces specific events to happen. This can put the Game Master on the spot...and it’s possibly even worse if the Player defines the contents of the future-reading, since the Game Master is now bound to it without having options to think it out.

Of course, if you have a bunch of really creative players and a Game Master who just LOVES flying by the seat of his pants, then such a thing could be amazingly fun. I just felt like it could trip up casual gamers and the like.

But if you are going to use an actual Precognition ability, I do like framing it as a roll. It certainly works with how most stories present precognition, as an unreliable thing that gets harder the further you look into the future. I’d probably nix a level somewhere and introduce “years into the future” as the ultimate difficulty, but it all depends on what you want to accomplish with it.