MSGS: Chain-Linked Destinies Design Critique

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Sabersonic
Exalted Amphibian

MSGS: Chain-Linked Destinies Design Critique

Post by Sabersonic »

Greetings fellow Wise Turtle forum members, it's been a while since I ever posted, well, anything on here and especially in relation to OVA 2e (which, I got the Kickstarter PDF) and I figured that to exercise and increase my understanding of the character creation process of at least abilities then I should try to convert my BESM 3e designs for my "still in preproduction phase" into OVA 2e and then show what I got to the world or at least the forum what I got and see if there's any corrections or suggestions on them to refine my understanding.

Though, before I begin, I'd like to note that I have a particular combat system in mind when I designed these weapons and giant robots. One being that certain actions of the mecha cost energy, in this game engine being Endurance, to represent waste thermal energy that has been mentioned in the side materials of Gundam but rarely (if ever) mentioned in animation. The other being that, like contemporary armored vehicles, mobile suits, mobile armor, and spacecraft focus their armor densities towards the front of the vehicle with little armor towards the sides and barely any, if at all, towards the rear. This, in theory, encourages players into tactical maneuvering and thinking to get to the more vulnerable rear for the killing blow while being mindful of the amount of energy left that could be utilized to give a sense of urgency, drama, and suspense.

That and the amount of ammo one could carry upon a giant robot being finite, but I think that's a given personally.

Anyway, I figured that before I solidify the base design of mobile suits in my campaign setting under OVA 2e rules, I should first work on the weapons proper to get a feel of the baseline. After a few mental trials and corrections, I came up with a rough Damage Multiplier system:
  • DX 1 - Knife/Daggers, CIWS, Vulcans
  • DX 2 - Tomahawks, Machineguns
  • DX 3 - Heat Hawks, Submachine Cannons
  • DX 4 - High Density Swords, Shotcannon Shells, Assault Cannons
  • DX 5 - Heat Sabers, Heat Swords, Battle Cannons, Sniper Cannons
  • DX 6 - Bazooka, Beam Assault Cannons
  • DX 7 - Beam Battle Cannons, Beam Sniper Cannons
  • DX 8 - Beam Sabers, Grenades
Though feel free to correct me if the above doesn't make much gameplay sense.

Anyway, with the above in mind, I proceeded to create weapon profiles for mobile suits, first being the iconic melee weapons.
Type 5 Heat Hawk (2)
The primary melee weapon for Zeon mobile suits, it utilizes thermal energy produced from the onboard fusion reactor to produce an edge that can cut through most materials.
  • DX[END] - Attack
  • 4[5] - “Thermal Blade Edge” (Armor Piercing; Effective x2. Ammunition, 10x Rounds/Actions; Weapon)
Vibro Hawk (2)
The primary melee weapon for SRA mobile suits, it utilizes blades that vibrate at very high frequencies in order to cut through many types of armor.
  • DX[END] - Attack
  • 3[0] - “High Frequency Blade Edge” (Armor Piercing; Effective. Ammunition, 10x Rounds/Actions; Weapon)
Type 2 Heat Saber (4)
An optional melee weapon system for Zeon mobile suits, it utilizes thermal energy produced from the onboard fusion reactor to produce an edge that can cut through most materials.
  • DX[END] - Attack
  • 5[5] - “Thermal Blade Edge” (Armor Piercing x2; Effective. Ammunition, 8x Rounds/Actions; Weapon)
Maser Vibration Saber (4)
An optional melee weapon system typically reserved for elite pilots of the SRA, it produces a high vibration upon its cutting edge through the use of a maser catalyst.
  • DX[END] - Attack
  • 6[5] - “Maser Vibration Blade Edge” (Armor Piercing; Effective x2. Ammunition, 10x Rounds/Actions; Weapon)
Type-βIV Heat Sword (4)
An optional melee weapon system typically reserved for elite pilots of the Principality of Zeon, it utilizes thermal energy produced from the onboard fusion reactor to produce an edge that can cut through most materials.
  • DX[END] - Attack
  • 6[5] - “Thermal Blade Edge” (Armor Piercing x2; Effective x2. Ammunition, 8x Rounds/Actions; Weapon)
MA-M3 High Density Sword(4)
The standard melee weapon for ZAFT mobile suits, it utilizes high density materials to increase the mass behind the sword blade and by extension its inertia to allow it to smash through armor.
  • DX[END] - Attack
  • 4[0] - “High Density Blade Edge” (Armor Piercing. Weapon)
Beam Saber Rack (7)
An optional melee weapon system for UESFN mobile suit, it is often added as pairs though it is not unheard of for a Beam Saber rack to only have a single Beam Saber.
  • DX[END] - Attack
  • 8[5] - “Beam Saber” (Armor Piercing x3; Effective. Ammunition x2, 5x Rounds/Actions; Weapon)
So far, these profiles work, though I'm not sure if the Weapon Flaw is appropriate or not, but I'll leave it up to the more experienced members of the forum to decide.

Anyway, here is where I have a bit of a roadblock.
FAITH 75mm Sub-Machine Cannon

FAITH standardized weapon type for mobile suits of the Settlement Freedom League; it is a dual feed autocannon that fires two different rounds depending upon need. However, the operation differs between SRL member nations. For Zeon, they have opted for Electrochemical-Thermal ignition of their rounds. ZAFT holds a preference over Liquid-Propellant ignition technology which allows the onboard coordinator to adjust the amount of propellant utilized to alter the range and stopping power to a target. The SRA utilize solid propellant and electrical primer technology for their autocannons.

FACTION (6) - Free Republic of Noa, Space Revolutionary Army
  • DX[END] - Attack
  • 3[0] - Attack “75mm Penetration” (Overwhelming; Ranged. Ammunition; Inaccurate x2; Weapon)
  • 3[0] - Attack “75mm High Explosive” (Overwhelming; Ranged. Ammunition; Inaccurate x2; Low Penetration; Weapon)
FACTION (8) - Principality of Zeon
  • DX[END] - Attack
  • 4[0] - Attack “75mm Penetration” (Armor Piercing; Overwhelming; Ranged. Ammunition; Inaccurate; Weapon)
  • 4[0] - Attack “75mm High Explosive” (Overwhelming; Ranged. Ammunition; Inaccurate; Weapon)
FACTION (18) - People’s Liberation Acting Nation of Technology, Zarn Alliance of Freedom Treaty
  • DX[END] - Attack
  • 4[0] - Attack “75mm Penetration, Boosted Liquid-Propellant Velocity” (Impairing; Overwhelming; Ranged. Activation; Ammunition x2; Inaccurate; Requirement x2 – Selective Devicer, Coordinator or Extended; Weapon)
  • 4[0] - Attack “75mm High Explosive, Boosted Liquid-Propellant Velocity” (Impairing; Overwhelming; Ranged. Activation; Ammunition x2; Inaccurate; Low Penetration; Requirement x2 – Selective Devicer, Coordinator or Extended; Weapon)
  • 3[0] - Attack “75mm Penetration, Standard Liquid-Propellant Velocity” (Overwhelming; Ranged. Ammunition; Inaccurate x2; Weapon)
  • 3[0] - Attack “75mm High Explosive, Standard Liquid-Propellant Velocity” (Overwhelming; Ranged. Ammunition; Inaccurate x2; Low Penetration; Weapon)
  • 2[0] - Attack “75mm Penetration, Subsonic Liquid-Propellant Velocity” (Overwhelming; Ranged. Activation; Ammunition; Delayed; Inaccurate x3; Low Penetration; Requirement x2 – Selective Devicer, Coordinator or Extended; Weapon)
  • 2[0] - Attack “75mm High Explosive, Subsonic Liquid-Propellant Velocity” (Overwhelming; Ranged. Activation; Ammunition; Delayed; Inaccurate x2; Low Penetration x2; Requirement x2 – Selective Devicer, Coordinator or Extended; Weapon)
As one can see, the first two faction entries are rather short and simple. The third one, ZAFT, is rather long with numerous attacks just to simulate the ability for the onboard pilot to select the amount of propellant needed to project a round down range for a variety of velocities. I'm not sure if there is a way for OVA 2e to simulate this at a low enough cost without falling into house rules so I'll leave this particular inquiry for those more experienced then I.

And speaking of inquiries, I assume that using the Perceptive Ability would be ideal to simulate extrasensory detection such as radar and infrared?

Oh, and before I forget. Thanks for any aid rendered.
Get your Portable ID!

Though he may have his flaws and faults, he was a husband and a father without equal. May the Angels welcome and accept him with open arms.

Rest in Peace, Dad
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Re: MSGS: Chain-Linked Destinies Design Critique

Post by Clay »

As long as everyone has access to the same weaponry, I don’t think you really have to worry about upsetting the balance much. However, it seems like your battles will go by really quickly. If you stick to OVA’s suggestion that mecha cannot use Endurance as Health, and you give most of the weapons Armor Piercing multiple times, it’s very feasible for these attacks to cripple, or even destroy mecha in a single blow.

I would recommend capping the DX at 5 (instead of eight), and only have a few exceptions above that—exceptions burdened with a lot of flaws!

But again, if everyone has access to DX 8 weapons, then I don’t think you’ll find it one-sided. It’s just that they’ll go by quickly...too quickly for the Ammunition/Endurance shortfalls to really come into effect.
Sabersonic
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Sabersonic »

Thanks for the game balance advise Clay, it'll both be useful to allow such dramatic duals to take place and to make purchase of such weapons for their mobile suits just a bit more economical.

Granted, in-universe the beam weapons are suppose to one-shoot other mecha, but I think I'll leave that to the cannon fodder grunts as such.

Still, it makes for a slightly smaller, yet still crowded, DX hierarchy:
  • DX 1 - Knife/Daggers, CIWS, Vulcans, Machineguns, Submachine Cannons
  • DX 2 - Tomahawks, Heat Hawks, Shotcannon Shells, Assault Cannons
  • DX 3 - High Density Swords, Heat Sabers, Heat Swords
  • DX 4 - Beam Sabers, Grenades, Bazooka, Battle Cannons, Sniper Cannons, Beam Assault Cannons
  • DX 5 - Beam Battle Cannons, Beam Sniper Cannons
Though I also assume that Perception for sensors such as Radar, Infrared, and LIDAR is adequate a use as well?

And speaking of abilities, while Gaigaia's list makes it faster and easier to see what ability, weakness, perk and flaw can do, it just showcases my campaign's needs to have certain houserules if I am to have the style of combat I've had in mind for the mobile suits. That and make that Core Block System somehow work into the design and gameplay.

Granted, the following are pretty rough, but it's a start and someone has to start somewhere:
Aided Use – One of your Abilities required the assistance of others whether they are close friends and relatives, an entire team of professionals or the like. Whatever the reason or purpose, their presence at least is necessary in order for the ability to function. At Level 1, it is but a single individual and thus easy to manage, and in certain cases easier to conceal. At Level 2, a small group is required for the use of the ability to be guaranteed, though this makes it harder to gather and organized and even more so when concealment is a priority. At Level 3, a large group is required which makes assembling and leading such numbers to the activation of the ability even more problematic and concealment of such a group activity is almost impossible.
Periodical Maintenance – They say that one’s body is a machine, and it applies to you in spades as yours require regular maintenance just to ensure that everything works properly. Whether it is bionic parts, you being a sapient machine, alien biology and everything in between, your body simply cannot regulate itself without outside intervention. At Level 1, your body is robust enough to only need a regular check-up once every Adventure just to stay one step ahead of the internal issues that are no doubt building up inside and generally avoiding Murphy’s Law. At Level 2, your body does need more frequent check-up to see if everything is working properly, typically once per Act but it can be more or less frequent depending upon GM fiat. At Level 3, you need to get your body looked at after every combat-related scene regardless of the outcome just to make sure that nothing popped loose.

If you go longer than the recommended period between check-ups, you’ll get a penalty equal to your level until you get back into the shop. As if that weren’t bad enough, this penalty translates to the poor technician who has to now work with your now problem-prone body, regardless if it’s a single person or an entire team.
Prompt Use – One of your Abilities takes time to activate before it can be utilized at all. It can be the gathering of mana or focusing concentration to unlock the potential, reloading or correcting any problems that may arise or had arisen from its previous use, or whatever is deemed appropriate, all that matters is that it takes time to utilize the Ability so it would be wise to do so. This flaw may be taken multiple times to represent the amount of time needed to activate the ability.
Reduced Use – One of your Abilities is not at full strength under certain circumstances or conditions, in fact it’s barely half its typical effectiveness when such an event occurs. As such, you would generally go out of your way to ensure that such events do not occur when you’re in a tight spot. At Level 1, the circumstances that reduce your ability’s effectiveness are so extremely rare or extremely specific, that you have almost absolute confidence that your ability will work when you need to so long as no one enacts Murphy’s Law. At Level 2, the circumstances occur infrequently but will have to be accounted for in nearly all possible encounters when you’ll need to use your gifts. At Level 3, the limiting circumstances are so broad, generic, or easily encountered that you’ll actively avoid them or at best expect it to occur and plan accordingly.
Granted, there's always the Unique avenue but I figured that one should try to engineer new abilities/weaknesses/perks/flaws for campaigns in which the current list is too limiting. No offense Clay.

Anyway, thanks for the advise.
Get your Portable ID!

Though he may have his flaws and faults, he was a husband and a father without equal. May the Angels welcome and accept him with open arms.

Rest in Peace, Dad
Sabersonic
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Sabersonic »

Well I guess I should give some substance to my above mentioned design issue with the following mecha. Though before I begin, I should make note that I kinda forgot another custom weakness for my MSGS Campaign/Setting.
Prerequisite – You require a certain item in order to function normally. If you are deprived of it for any period of time, then you cannot participate at all. Instead, you are comatose and completely vulnerable to the malicious actions of others whether they are foe or friend. At Level 1, the item is easy to find or replace if lost or you can go without the item for a noticeably lengthy period of time. At Level 2, the item is noticeably rare and difficult to replace or you can go without the item for a rather brief period of time. At Level 3, the item is extremely rare and almost impossible to replace or you cannot realistically be without the item for any period of time longer than a moment.
The above was what I used in a previous RPG engine, but with slightly different wording, to solve the little issue of the Core Block System that was recommended by a forum acquaintance of mine from said engine. It really comes to play when Radiators and Skeleton Crew come in for larger spacecraft.

The next one is for abilities that require certain Gear/Items/Etc in order to function, or in this case, the needs of a Mobile Suit Hangar Bay. Again, utilized in a previous RPG engine with different wording:
Precondition Use - One of your Abilities, mostly but not always due to its technological basis, requires a set of equipment in order to be utilized properly and to its fullest. At Level 1, the equipment is quite portable such as a suitcase. Level 2 equates to a large, awkward item such as a podium. Level 3 cannot be moved, or at least by yourself so easily, and is largely static such as a laboratory or workshop. Thus you are tied to the location and cannot go very far without it.
Anyway, onto the mecha profiles, starting with the iconic mobile suits of the Settlement Freedom League Nations.
MS-05B Zaku I (16)
The MS-05 Zaku was the first Zeon mobile suit to be deployed into combat service and feature many of the technologies that would be standard upon all Zeon mobile suits regardless of service branch after the Zeonic Company won the bid against the Zimnad Company. Yet almost immediately it was replaced by the MS-06 Zaku II upon the eve of the Great Earth Sphere War that would be the mainstay of the Principality of Zeon due to the latter’s higher electrical output of its onboard reactor. Instead, the surplus number of Zaku I would be utilized in auxiliary support of the main forces of the Principality of Zeon in addition to new mobile suit units that could not be adequately supplied with the best of equipment. The Zaku I was even regulated to training battalions of future mobile suit pilots of Zeon and construction, among other more mundane tasks. Originally conceived as an orbital mechanics superiority fighter, under the United Maintenance Plan it has become a modular adaptation machine that can allow the machine to operate in a particular combat environment with a team of technicians performing an overhaul of a single week to convert.

Like many mobile suits of the Settlement Freedom League, the design of the MS-06F Zaku II was based upon the research of the excavated and smuggled remains of the Human Reform League’s Tactical Armor Mechanoid Manoeuvre Vehicles or “Tammvees” of the Pre-Tartarus Age: the MSJ-04 Fanton, MSJ-06II-E Tieren Space Type, and MSJ-06II-ET Tieren Space Commander Type. The Tammvees were long thought to be myth and legends until their discovery and the Settlement Freedom League had attempted to recreate the combat properties of the staple combat vehicle: More armored than a Main Battle Tank, more maneuverable than an Air Superiority Jet Fighter, and have more firepower than a naval battleship. The Zaku line of mobile suits were Zeon’s solution to that emulation of the Pre-Tartarus Tammvees and are radically different in engineering compared to the other mobile suits of the Settlement Freedom League despite the attempt to follow the UMP of the Settlement Freedom League’s Fast Acting Integral Tactical Headquarters or FAITH.

At its core, the MS-06F is powered by the then radically new Minovsky Ultracompact Fusion Reactors to supply electricity to the unorthodox humanoid space fighter, granting the design unprecedented level of acceleration and DeltaV efficiency from thermonuclear rocket motors. The reactor is also used in the rather Zeon method of actuators: Fluid Pulse System. The energy-induced pressure of the Ultracompact Fusion Reactor that accelerates a specially engineered yet inert fluid through pipes with diameters smaller than a human hair towards the rotary joints in which movement of a mechanical limb is produced. For its weapon systems, the Lagrangian Engineers of Zeon took advantage of the energy production of the Ultracompact Fusion Reactors and utilize them in their Thermal Edged close quarter melee weaponry and Electrochemical-Thermal ignition technology for their sub-machine cannons and autocannons.

However, the Minovsky Ultracompact Fusion Reactor produces high amounts of waste thermal energy that severely limits the MS-06F’s operation time that otherwise provided excellent orbital mechanics. Though this problem was delayed through the use of the entire machine’s body as a heat sink and the use of helium gas to deliver waste thermal energy, it still required the use of specialized thermal regulation equipment onboard any dedicated mothercraft created by the Space Attack Force and Mobile Assault Force of Zeon. Additionally, since even the miraculous Minovsky Ultracompact Fusion Reactor requires a large source of electricity to catalyze the fusion reactor within a twenty-four hour period, zeon mobile suits under combat alert have their reactors on idle and provide additional electrical output to the mothercraft.

Customization Notes: May only have one Environmental Configuration and two Tactical Packages at one time.

DEFENSE: 9
HEALTH: 40
ENDURANCE: 50
TV: 64
DX[END] - Attack
  • 2[0] - “Shoulder Bash” (Affinity, Piloting. Delay; Low Penetration)
  • 2[0] - “Unarmed Melee” (Affinity, Piloting. Low-Penetration)
Level - Ability
  • +4 - Armored “Super Hard Steel Alloy”
  • +2 - Barrier “Shoulder Shield”
  • +6 - Gear “Environmental Configuration”
  • +16 - Gear “Optional Armaments”
  • +28 - Gear “Tactical Package”
  • +1 - Heightened Senses
  • +1 - Perceptive “LADAR”
  • +1 - Strong “Fluid Pulse System, Boosted”
  • +1 - Quick
  • +1 - Vigorous “Minovsky Ultracompact Fusion Reactor”
Level - Weakness
  • -2 - Aided Use “Environmental Configuration”
  • -2 - Aided Use “Optional Armaments”
  • -2 - Aided Use “Tactical Package”
  • -2 - Compulsion “Proper Cool-Down”
  • -1 - Dependency “External Power Jumpstart” (86.4 Kiloseconds required to initiate nuclear fusion reaction self-sufficiency)
  • -1 - Endurance Use “Fluid Pulse System, Boosted”
  • -3 - Precondition Use “Environmental Configuration” (Hangar Bay)
  • -3 - Precondition Use “Optional Armaments” (Hangar Bay)
  • -3 - Precondition Use “Tactical Package” (Hangar Bay)
  • -3 - Periodical Maintenance
  • -10 - Prompt Use “Environmental Configuration” (Refitting, 1x Month)
  • -10 - Prompt Use “Tactical Package” (Refitting, 1x Month)
  • -3 - Reduced Use “Super Hard Steel Alloy”
  • -2 - Restricted Freedom
  • -2 - Servitude
ZGMF-1017 GINN (4)
The first combat worthy humanoid space fighter deployed for front line combat of the People’s Liberation Acting Nation of Technology military arm the Zarn Alliance of Freedom Treaty, the ZGMF-1017 GINN is a general purpose mobile suit that can be deployed in many combat environments with modifications that will take a team of technicians a week to completely overhaul the machine. However, it was primarily designed as an orbital fighter and thus excels in that arena. Thus, even if it was intelligently designed to be an environmental “jack of all trades”, it still requires the creation of environmental specific mobile suit models such as the TMF/A-1 GINN, TMF/S-3 GINN OCHER, and UWMF/S-1 GINN WASP amongst other models, though their designs all ultimately derive from the ZGMF-1017 GINN.

Like many mobile suits of the Settlement Freedom League, the design of the ZGMF-1017 GINN was based upon the research of the excavated and smuggled remains of the Human Reform League’s Tactical Armor Mechanoid Manoeuvre Vehicles or “Tammvees” of the Pre-Tartarus Age: the MSJ-04 Fanton, MSJ-06II-E Tieren Space Type, and MSJ-06II-ET Tieren Space Commander Type. The Tammvees were long thought to be myth and legends until their discovery and the Settlement Freedom League had attempted to recreate the combat properties of the staple combat vehicle: More armored than a Main Battle Tank, more maneuverable than an Air Superiority Jet Fighter, and have more firepower than a naval battleship. The GINN line of mobile suits were PLANT’s solution to that emulation of the Pre-Tartarus Tammvees and are radically different in engineering compared to the other mobile suits of the Settlement Freedom League despite the attempt to follow the United Maintenance Plan of the Settlement Freedom League’s Fast Acting Integral Tactical Headquarters or FAITH.

Unlike the mobile suits of both the Principality of Zeon and Space Revolutionary Army dominated Free Republic of Noa, mobile suits of PLANT’s ZAFT military arm such as the ZGMF-1017 GINN were not equipped with the Ultracombat Fusion Reactor. Instead, the coordinator engineers decided upon the more mature and highly reliable Microcompact High-Energy Batteries and High Efficiency Hydrogen Fuel Cells found upon many orbital construction vehicles as the core of their power generation systems. These power generation systems were arranged into a system to which the High Efficiency Hydrogen Fuel Cells forms the core of an electrical network that provides power to high energy-consuming systems with Microcompact High-Energy Batteries to power low energy-consuming systems in addition to store additional energy produced by the High Efficiency Hydrogen Fuel Cells for later use. Though this solves the thermal waste heat problem and increased their safety envelope, ZAFT mobile suits such as the iconic ZGMF-1017 GINN were limited in their total operation time that is marginally superior to the equivalent Zeon mobile suits. As part of a regular maintenance due to high performance combat, ZAFT mobile suits must either recharge or replace the Microcompact High-Energy Batteries with specialized equipment onboard the mothercraft in addition to refueling the High Efficiency Hydrogen Fuel Cells. This arrangement has also given the option of providing a secondary source of power for the mothercraft when not under Condition Two state of readiness.

Due to such electrical concerns, ZAFT have opted to use the then radically new Muscle Cylinder Actuators and its Polymer Ringer Solution due to its low electrical input requirements compared to other actuator designs. The only design flaw, apart from its highly flammable nature, was that the Polymer Ringer Solution required frequent and periodical filtration procedures that limited their operational envelope even more. None the less, the mobile suit engineers of PLANT strive to create a compact Polymer Ringer Filtration System that could be mounted upon mobile suits. Even the chosen weapon systems of ZAFT Mobile Suits center around High Density close quarter melee weaponry and highly mature Liquid-Propellant ignition for their sub-machine cannons and autocannons due to their low electrical energy requirements as a consequence to the chosen power generation of their mobile suits. The method of propulsion for ZAFT Mobile Suits is a dual-motor system: Electrochemical-Thermal Rockets and Conventional Rockets, with the former for high performance combat and the latter for high efficiency cruises. Both types allow for barely acceptable delta-v budgets even though they can operate while under the hybrid Microcompact High-Energy Battery and High Efficiency Hydrogen Fuel Cell power generation network.

Customization Notes: May only have one Environmental Configuration and two Tactical Packages at one time.

DEFENSE: 12
HEALTH: 70
ENDURANCE: 30
TV: 59
DX[END] - Attack
Level - Ability
  • +3 - Agile
  • +4 - Armored “Super Hard Steel Alloy”
  • +2 - Evasive
  • +22 - Gear “Optional Armaments”
  • +11 - Gear “Tactical Package”
  • +2 - Heightened Senses
  • +2 - Perceptive “LADAR”
  • +2 - Quick
  • +3 - Tough
Level - Weakness
  • -3 - Dependency “Selective Devicer” (Coordinator or Extended)
  • -1 - Languid “High Efficiency Hydrogen Fuel Cells”, “Microcompact High-Energy Batteries”
  • -2 - Servitude
  • -1 - Unique “Weak Points” (Joints)
  • -2 - Unique “Volatile” (1d Check vs. DN 4 for Explosion when 0 HP or lower. Character suffers 30m Area Attack damage of 60+45)
  • -1 - Vulnerability “Polymer Ringer Solution” (Fire/Igniting Attacks)
  • -1 - Weak “Muscle Cylinder Actuators”
RMS-006 Jenice(10)
The RMS-006 Jenice is the general multi-purpose mobile suit of the Space Revolutionary Army, the de-facto political power of the Free Republic of Noa. Though mostly designed as a space superiority orbital fighter, with proper retooling it can operate in a multitude of combat environment in which will take a team of technichians a week to completely overhaul the machine to better conform to the combat environment in hand, though at reduced efficiency due to its orbital mechanics envelope.

Thus necessitated the creation of environmental specific models such as the RMS-009G Septem Ground Type that trace their design to the RMS-06 Jenice. Even so, the RMS-006 is the most mast produced model of the Space Revolutionary Army and has become iconic of the organization.

Like many mobile suits of the Settlement Freedom League, the design of the RMS-006 Jenice was based upon the research of the excavated and smuggled remains of the Human Reform League’s Tactical Armor Mechanoid Manoeuvre Vehicles or “Tammvees” of the Pre-Tartarus Age: the MSJ-04 Fanton, MSJ-06II-E Tieren Space Type, and MSJ-06II-ET Tieren Space Commander Type. The Tammvees were long thought to be myth and legends until their discovery and the Settlement Freedom League had attempted to recreate the combat properties of the staple combat vehicle: More armored than a Main Battle Tank, more maneuverable than an Air Superiority Jet Fighter, and have more firepower than a naval battleship. The Jenice line of mobile suits were SRA Noa’s solution to that emulation of the Pre-Tartarus Tammvees and are radically different in engineering compared to the other mobile suits of the Settlement Freedom League despite the attempt to follow the United Maintenance Plan of the Settlement Freedom League’s Fast Acting Integral Tactical Headquarters or FAITH.

The core design of the RMS-006 Jenice and all other subsequent Space Revolutionary Army mobile suits could be best described as a hybrid between Zeon and PLANT design philosophies. For simplified nuclear mechanics and maintenance, a lower powered yet more economical Minovsky Ultracompact Nuclear Fusion Reactor is used to continually power and recharge a network of Nanocompact High-Energy Batteries with High Efficiency Hydrogen Fuel Cells as emergency backup power generation in addition to provide independent electricity to critical mobile suit systems. This hybrid power generation also solves the waste thermal energy problem by allowing a more robust helium gas-based coolant and heat exchange system to such a degree that they outlast their Zeon and ZAFT counterparts, though ultimately they must return to their mothercraft for helium remass and munitions replenishment. SRA mobile suits also utilize thermonuclear rocket motors like Zeon designs, though they are not nearly as powerful and deltaV efficient as their Zeonic counterparts due to a lower thermal output of the more economical Minovsky Ultracompact Nuclear Fusion Reactor. And like their Zeon and ZAFT counterparts, SRA mobile suits can be utilized as a secondary source of power for their mothercrafts, though unsuprisingly they do not offer as much surplus energy when idle.

For the actuators, the Noa Engineers of the SRA utilize logistic and maintenance friendly systems: Myomer Packages and Electromagnetic Linear Motors. The mature and ultimately reliable technology of Linear Motors were straightforward enough and utilized the properties of electromagnetism to drive a piston which causes the limbs of the mobile suit to move, yet were only adequate for brute force applications and must be married to another actuator system. The Myomer Packages, based upon Electroactive Polymer Strands, allowed for finesse manipulation and movement but were extensive in maintenance in order to keep the performance at acceptable levels. These Myomer Packages were dubbed as such since the entire system is modular for ease of replacement.

For weapon systems, the SRA mobile suits utilize High Frequency Blade technology that is the predecessor of Thermal Edged weaponry for close quarter melee combat though a few select models utilize Maser-catalyzed High Vibration Blade Technology. The various munitions of sub-machine cannons and autocannons for SRA mobile suits utilize solid propellant and electrical primer technology.

DEFENSE: 9
ENDURANCE: 40
TV: 59
DX[END] - Attack
  • 2[0] - “Linked Chest Autocannon” (Overwhelming; Ranged. Ammunition x2; Inaccurate x3)
  • 1[0] - “Linked Chest Machinegun” (Area Effect x2; Ranged. Ammunition; Inaccurate x3; Low Penetration)
  • 2[0] - “Shoulder Bash” (Affinity, Piloting. Delay; Low Penetration)
Level - Ability
  • +5 - Armored “Super Hard Steel Alloy”
  • +16 - Gear “Optional Armaments”
  • +21 - Gear “Tactical Package”
  • +1 - Heightened Senses
  • +1 - Quick
Level - Weakness
  • -1 - Dependency “External Power Jumpstart” (86.4 Kiloseconds required to initiate nuclear fusion reaction self-sufficiency)
  • -2 - Servitude
For those of you who are wondering about the rather LARGE value for the Prompt Use Weakness, well I wasn't really sure of the timeframe usage for the original OVA 2e version which was the Activation Flaw so I fell back to the timescale of the previous RPG engine to which Level 10 was about a Month. Thus, I'm open to any correction to that time scale and value along with both the Threat Value and Defense numbers to which I most assuredly have not done correctly.

And while we're on this particular track of inquiry, I'm not really sure how to work out this guy:

In particular, how the above image is actually the transformed state of what is actually a Striker Pack:

Now considering that said transformation abilities doesn't translate to the mobile suit in question, I've opted to borrow (again) from the previous RPG engine with the following Weakness:
Non-Transferable Use – One of the Abilities of a certain piece of gear cannot be taken advantage by the user through the gear’s normal use. That is to say that the ability in question can only be used by the user through the object itself rather than used to supplement or substitute the user’s own abilities. This ranges from Level 1 to which the ability is extremely useful to the user to Level 3 to which the ability is not so useful to the user.
Of course, I am open to suggestions. Speaking of which, how does one resize an image on this forum via the BBCode?

Once more, thanks for any and all rendered advise, fellow forum members.
Last edited by Sabersonic on Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get your Portable ID!

Rest in Peace, Dad
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Lots of great ideas! I also like how you made Weakness versions of several of the Ability Flaws.

You’ve probably noticed OVA has an entire note box encouraging you to make this kind of tinkering to the game to fit your desired setting. So no offense taken. :)
Sabersonic
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Sabersonic »

Clay wrote:Lots of great ideas! I also like how you made Weakness versions of several of the Ability Flaws.
Well I figured that if both the Limited Use Weakness and Ammo Flaw utilize virtually the same mechanic, why not do the same with the other Ability Flaws? It just seemed logical when one thought about it long enough.

And speaking of thinking about it long enough, after thinking it over I should add the words "One or more of your Abilities" instead of just "One of your Abilities" to my customized Weaknesses since the variable and values found in many of the weaknesses mentioned in my first entries into mechanized design via OVA2e are virtually the same. Not really sure how to note that beyond listing them like so:
"Something", "Something"
And since there's not a real set time value to measure the levels for the Prompt Use Weakness, well I figured that I should just use the three-level system that's most commonly used amongst nearly all of the Weaknesses. In this view, the lowest would be Level 3 that would suggest a very lengthy period of time in-game that would more than likely be at least once per session without use of time skips and Level 1 would be a time frame that would make it only available once per combat encounter at best. Not sure how I should describe Level 2.....

Though before I ramble on, the MS-05B Zaku I, ZGMF-1017 GINN, and RMS-006 Jenice profiles are valued at 42, 22, and 36 Attribute/Attribute Levels respectfully.

Now that I think about it, considering the wording for Endurance Reserve compared to both Vigorous and Languid, I'm not sure if I should instead of just labeling it as "Languid 'High Efficiency Hydrogen Fuel Cells', 'Microcompact High-Energy Batteries'", that I should make both a Weakness and an Ability with "Endurance Use 'Microcompact High-Energy Batteries'" to suggest that, though said machine has a reserve of energy, it's largely only useful as a supplement rather then as a booster to said mecha's own Endurance Pool. Probably have to think that over or until someone advises me otherwise.

Anyway, thanks for replying Clay.
Get your Portable ID!

Rest in Peace, Dad
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

You could word Level 2 as “You cannot use this Ability again until you have had an opportunity to regain full Endurance” perhaps? Or if that seems too short, you can make it a 3-4 hour rest, or some such, while Level 3 is a 24 hour period.

I probably wouldn’t bother with Endurance Reserve for mecha unless you are skipping the rule where Health and Endurance are not linked. One of Endurance Reserve’s main points is it cannot be used for Health in any fashion, and if your mecha are already not using their Endurance for Health, it’s sort of cheating in a way. Better to stick with renamed versions of Vigorous/Languid.
Sabersonic
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Sabersonic »

Clay wrote:You could word Level 2 as “You cannot use this Ability again until you have had an opportunity to regain full Endurance” perhaps? Or if that seems too short, you can make it a 3-4 hour rest, or some such, while Level 3 is a 24 hour period.
Personally, I think it would be best to make the period of time a bit vague at best to allow some creative freedom on part of the Players.

Though, with that in mind, I've made some changes to the Prompt Use entry as follows:
At Level 1, it can only be utilized once per combat-related scene at best and is often the “Finisher” move that puts down the enemy for good (usually). At Level 2, it takes a noticeably measurable amount of time, typically measured in hours or a day or two at most but nowhere close to a full Act, in order for the ability to function and is largely a matter of strategy rather than tactics. At Level 3, it takes a prohibitable amount of time to prepare and usually spans at least an entire Act to prepare but no more than an Adventure/Session (that’s a plot hook), though in-game time frame is largely up to the GM with some creative Player input, and typically is the last ditch effort that requires the entire group to protect you in order to utilize this dramatic game changer, or something as mundane as mechanical overhaul.
Figured that I might as well add-in some in-game elements as examples to fully illustrate the levels, though they might not be the best descriptive. I just work with what I got.
Clay wrote:I probably wouldn’t bother with Endurance Reserve for mecha unless you are skipping the rule where Health and Endurance are not linked. One of Endurance Reserve’s main points is it cannot be used for Health in any fashion, and if your mecha are already not using their Endurance for Health, it’s sort of cheating in a way. Better to stick with renamed versions of Vigorous/Languid.
Well, since I'm keeping the rule about unlinked Health and Endurance when it comes to vehicles (if only to give the poor groundpounder sap some leverage against humungous robots ala Titanfall), I guess I should drop the idea. When I read the entry on Endurance Reserve, it mentioned something about said Endurance Pool not being refreshed over a period of time and I got the brain fart of there being two different Endurance Pools: the standard which refreshes after a period of time (and obvious vulnerability), the other being a last ditch effort to power weapons, rockets, andwhatnots to survive an otherwise hopeless situation or at best a delaying tactic to reserve Endurance for when it is really needed the most with the catch being that it's finite and cannot be recovered until after a combat encounter and even then at one's home base/ship to recharge. But since the idea is countered by the above rule about unlinked Health and Endurance... *Boots Idea*

And to showcase the current design paradigm of the mobile suits, let's take a look at two iconic mobile suit designs: One classic and the other a more recent addition to the overall franchise.
GAT-X101 Gundam (36)
The first of the new GAT-X series of UESN Mobile Suits, the GAT-X101 Gundam featured many technologies that would be common place in its model successors such as the revolutionary Phase Shift Armor, the ability to support E-Cap Beam Weaponry such as Beam Rifles and Beam Saber and recharge both in the field if given enough time, and a Learning Computer to help increase the efficiency of combat and lower the mental strain upon the pilot, in addition standard armaments such as sensor suite turret mounted CIWS for anti-munitions and close quarter defense. The Gundam is also compatible with the Core Block System seen in both the CAT-X75 Guntank and CAT-X77 Guncannon, though is often omitted in later models due to the mechanical complexity and cost of maintenance to such a high performance platform.

The GAT-X101 Gundam is also the first of the GAT-X series, of which the initial weapons were codenamed “G-Weapons” after it and original CAT-X development team earned the moniker of “G Scientists”, featured an advanced Learning Computer after studying the operational limitations of the CAT-X78 Tallgeese. To boost the Learning Computer’s capabilities further compared to the Tallgeese due to the then primitive understanding of Metatron-based Quantum Computing, it was decided that the Metatron system would work in parallel to a biological CPU comprised of a Cloned Neural-Mass whose genetic donor was classified as “Top Secret”. This Biological CPU, in the minds of several individuals including the G-Scientists, made the Gundam and succeeding GAT-X models essentially giant cyborgs.

This Dual-Core Learning Computer would ultimately be used as the basis for the massed produced GAT series of mobile suits for the UESFN to allow ease of control for rookie pilots. The Gundam design itself would be refined for wartime mass production in the form of the GAT-101 GM.

DEFENSE: 15
HEALTH: 60
ENDURANCE: 70
TV: 62
DX[END] - Attack
  • 4[5] - “ES01 Beam Saber” (Armor Piercing x4; Effective. Ammunition x2, 5x Rounds/Actions; Requirement x2, Liquid/Humidity Free Environment; Weapon)
  • 2[0] - “50mm Autocannon” (Overwhelming; Ranged. Ammunition x2; Inaccurate x3)
  • 1[0] - “Igelstellung 40mm CIWS” (Area Effect; Overwhelming; Ranged. Ammunition x2; Low Penetration)
Level - Ability
  • +4 - Agile
  • +4 - Armored “Luna Titanium Alloy”
  • +2 - Armored “Luna Titanium-Composite Ceramic Phase Shift Armor System”
  • +2 - Evasive
  • +7 - Gear “Environmental Configuration”
  • +4 - Gear “Optional Armaments”
  • +1 - Heightened Senses
  • +1 - Smart “Dual Use Cloned Neural-Mass and Metatron-based Learning Computer”
  • +1 - Strong “Field Motors, Boosted”
  • +2 - Tough
  • +2 - Quick
  • +2 - Quick “Field Motors, Boosted”
  • +3 - Vigorous “Minovsky Ultracompact Fusion Reactor” , “Gas Turbine Sub Generator”
Level - Weakness
  • -2 - Aided Use “Environmental Configuration”, “Optional Armaments”, “Tactical Package”
  • -1 - Endurance Use “Field Motors, Boosted”, “Lunar Titanium-Composite Ceramic Phase Shift Armor System”
  • -3 - Prerequisite “Core Fighter”
  • -3 - Precondition Use “Environmental Configuration”, “Optional Armaments”, “Tactical Package” (Hangar Bay)
  • -3 - Prompt Use “Environmental Configuration”, “Tactical Package” (Refitting, 1x Month)
  • -3 - Reduced Use “Luna Titanium Alloy”, “Luna Titanium-Composite Ceramic Phase Shift Armor System” (Half Level on Sides and Rear)
  • -2 - Reduced Use “LADAR” (Refraction-Heavy Conditions)
  • -2 - Servitude
GAT-X105 Strike (54)
A general purpose mobile suit, the GAT-X105 Strike is noticeably unremarkable at first glance compared to other G-Weapon model designs and is also noticeably lighter armed compared to even the Duel with the beam sabers replaced with a pair of Armor Schneide Combat Knives. However, this is an intentional design flaw in that its concept demands a high level of battlefield versatility in the form of the Striker Pack System. The Striker Packs allows the Strike to tactically adapt to any possible mission parameters and even allows for limited weapons and armor upgrades without major maintenance and overhaul by the hangar crew and technicians or even limited use Striker Pack designs to counter a specific threat.

Customization Notes: May only have one Environmental Configuration, two Tactical Packages, and one Striker Pack at one time.

DEFENSE: 18
HEALTH: 60
ENDURANCE: 70
TV: 76
DX[END] - Attack
  • 1[0] - “Igelstellung 40mm CIWS” (Area Effect; Overwhelming; Ranged. Ammunition x2; Low Penetration)
  • 1[0] - Armor Schneide Combat Knife” (Weapon)
Level - Ability
  • +3 - Agile
  • +3 - Armored “Luna Titanium Alloy”
  • +2 - Armored “Luna Titanium-Composite Ceramic Phase Shift Armor System”
  • +3 - Evasive
  • +7 - Gear “Environmental Configuration”
  • +4 - Gear “Optional Armaments”
  • +17 - Gear “Striker Pack System”
  • +1 - Heightened Senses
  • +1 - Smart “Dual Use Cloned Neural-Mass and Metatron-based Learning Computer”
  • +1 - Strong “Field Motors, Boosted”
  • +2 - Tough
  • +3 - Quick
  • +2 - Quick “Field Motors, Boosted”
  • +3 - Vigorous “Minovsky Ultracompact Fusion Reactor” , “Gas Turbine Sub Generator”
Level - Weakness
  • -2 - Aided Use “Environmental Configuration”, “Optional Armaments”, “Tactical Package”
  • -1 - Endurance Use “Field Motors, Boosted”, “Lunar Titanium-Composite Ceramic Phase Shift Armor System”
  • -3 - Precondition Use “Environmental Configuration”, “Optional Armaments”, “Tactical Package” (Hangar Bay)
  • -3 - Prompt Use “Environmental Configuration”, “Tactical Package” (Refitting, 1x Month)
  • -3 - Reduced Use “Luna Titanium Alloy”, “Luna Titanium-Composite Ceramic Phase Shift Armor System” (Half Level on Sides and Rear)
  • -2 - Reduced Use “LADAR” (Refraction-Heavy Conditions)
  • -2 - Servitude
Though I'm sure there are a few members who are curious about the whole "Customization Notes" in both the current and previous mobile suit profiles by now. Well, it was largely a hangover from the BESM 3e designs to which largely because there was no equivalent gear ability that would have allowed the addition of optional weapons without it feeling like it was a munchkin tactic (so far, I haven't recieved any objections to it), so they were considered a separate cost to which, along with the Tactical Packages, were limited so that the design in question could only ferry so much and place heavy emphasis on tactical customizations.

Later on in said process, I added a little note stating that with the exclusion of one or both optional weapons, the mobile suit could ferry an extra magazine/E-Pac/whatever nomenclature of reload per extra weapon that is exempted from the process. This gives the player the option to decide if they prefer combat adaptability or longevity when it came to small arms. Now, with the addition of the Gear Ability to fulfill that function (again, no objections so far), I'm not really sure how to word it since the Environmental Packages and the Striker Pack System of the above profile have an Ability Limit which would have prohibited more than one such item being mounted upon the design. The Tactical Packages and Optional Armaments, not so much.

Still, it does leave the possibly inquiry of how I can translate the previously mentioned ammunition exchange since there's really no equal cost amongst the weapons I have generated to suggest that X amount of Gear Abilities equals 1x Reload. So far, my brain only farted the idea of 5/10x Levels not used in Gear to be replaced as Magazines/E-Pacs. Of course, I am open to suggestions.

And speaking of suggestions, I would like a few for the following templates. Note that I attempted to keep true to the Combined Effectiveness and to keep the costs of these templates below 10. Keyword being "attempted"
Lagrangian (8)

The Lagrangians are the space colonists who were relocated to the Sides by the United Earth Sphere Federation of Nations that orbited the Earth-Lunar Lagrange Points, hence their preferred name. Many Lagrangians have familiar roots of at least a generation long living in the various styles of Lagrange Space Settlements from the O’Niel “Open Type” to the Vivarian “Close Type” and the Glenn “PLANT Type” with a vast majority of them having a family history which occurred during the Migration Wars between the UESFN Armed Forces and the Anti-Relocation Cells.

Each type of Lagrange Space Settlement is an attempt at recreating the environment of the Earth before the Impact of Tartarus and the Ice Age it had spawned with varying degrees of success, even up to the generation of gravity via centrifugal force. However, only the oldest of O’Neil Lagrange Space Settlements residing Side 1 or Mua have a rotational rate which produces a gravity of 9.81 meters per second squared as seen upon the Earth. All others, save for a few ceremonial settlements, have a rotation rate to generate an even ten meters per second square. As a result of this and the corolis effect due to rotationally generated gravity of the Lagrange Space Settlement, the Lagrangian decedents have grown and developed a higher G-tolerance and sharper sense of balance than even their Earther counterparts which makes them ideal Spacers, Combat Pilots, and Espaciers in the UESFN Armed Forces.

As a culture raised in space and centered around its operations, many young Lagrangians were tutored, trained, and educated in high technology in preparation for occupations in relation to supporting a space-based infrastructure related to the orbital settlements or spacecraft. These fields of education range from electronics and computers, to spacecraft mechanics and engineering in addition to life support system studies essential to allow a human presence in space no matter the location. However, it is because of the relatively closed eco-system of the Lagrange Space Settlements and self-reliance do the Lagrangians gain a sense of national pride as a frontier society operating at the very fringes of civilized space to such a degree that they wholly embrace the idea that each Side should be recognized as a Member Nation of the UESFN and even warm up to the radical idea of universal suffrage regardless of whether or not they served in the Federal Service.

It is due to this radical political thinking that has earned the Lagrangians the ire of many of the Edenite Earthers of the UESFN, especially those in power or at least in debt to their corporate “sponsors” for such a station, who refer to them by the derogatory term of “Spacenoids”. It is also worth noting that the Lagrangians are also one of the few groups of people who embrace the term “Ender” as a badge of honor, to show that they were able to survive such extremes and thrive into a true culture.

Level - Ability
  • +1 - Agile
  • +1 - Knowledge “Computers”
  • +1 - Knowledge “Electronics”
  • +1 - Knowledge “Engineering”
  • +1 - Knowledge “Mathematics”
  • +1 - Knowledge “Navigation, Space”
  • +1 - Knowledge “Physics”
  • +1 - Pilot “Spacecraft”
  • +2 - Resistance “G-Forces”
  • +1 - Tough
Level - Weakness
  • -3 - Outcast “Spacenoid”
Selenite (0)

Selenites are the space colonists who were relocated to settlements upon the Moon by the United Earth Sphere Federation of Nations as part of the labor force to mine the natural satellite’s resources for the construction effort of the Lagrangian Space Settlements. As a result, their bodies grew physically weak due to the Moon’s lower gravity compared to the Earth. The limitation of anti-radiation protection of these settlements has also affected the average Selenite’s overall health and made it extremely difficult for such individuals to adapt and survive in any environment that is not carefully controlled and sterilized.

Yet despite these drawbacks, the Selenites are a proud culture who see themselves as just as much a pioneer society as any other “Ender” though they take much offense to the term, even much more so than the Edenite derived derogatory term of “Lunarians”. The Selenites also have strong national pride around their respective lunar settlements and largely put the wellbeing of their settlement above all other concerns, especially in the realm of business in that they would enter into agreements with many different types of organizations beyond their community to such a degree that much of the Earth Sphere regards Selenites as shifty, mercenary people who would play both sides to any conflict to their own benefit. However, this stereotype is largely incorrect due to the ignorance of how well diverse Selenite society and culture is grouped despite the focus on the settlement community as a whole. In fact, it is only the Cosmopolitan Selenites whom occupy the various Lunar City Settlements have effective control over the lunar mass drivers whom have regular contact with those beyond the Moon’s gravity well. All other Selenite culture groups, the Pioneer, Lunatic, Outcasts, and Raiders generally occupy themselves with their own domestic concerns and rarely interact with non-Selenites even for business.

The Pioneer Selenites is largely populated by union miners and industrial laborers that are fairly self-reliant and “live off the land” not unlike explorers and scientific researchers of the earliest settlement period of the moon during the ages before the Advent of Tartarus, hence their preferred moniker. Lunatic Selenites are effectively cult-like community of boarders whom occupy the old and decrepit remains of first-generation lunar settlements of the Pre-Tartarus age largely to follow their individual social and political beliefs in peace and without interference with the Earth Sphere at large. The Outcasts are effectively the criminal underworld of Selenite society that are unique in that they are able to inhabit and make the lunar landscape their home as easily as they can in any Lunar Settlement though they primarily operate within the Lunar City Settlements due to the higher percentage of profit and anonymity compared to the smaller frontier lunar settlements. The Raider Selenites are effectively rogue communities that effectively plunder other settlements for their life-sustaining resources, striking out against those who are non-Raiders and communities not strong enough to oppose them from cleverly disguised hideouts that blend well with the surrounding landscape.

As a result, the education of the Selenite youth varies from the different Selenite cultures and even from lunar settlement to lunar settlement and only the Cosmopolitan Selenites have regular public education. All other culture groups hand down such knowledge from parent to child and from mentor to apprentice in large part to their isolationist policies.

Level - Ability
  • +1 - Knowledge “Domestic Arts”
  • +1 - Knowledge “Local, Lunar Settlement/Urban Sector”
  • +1 - Knowledge “Mechanics”
  • +1 - Knowledge “Power Lifting”
  • +1 - Pilot “Automobile/Lunar Rover”
Level - Weakness
  • -2 - Frail
  • -3 - Outcast “Lunarian”
  • -1 - Vulnerability “Diseases”
  • -1 - Vulnerability “G-Forces”
  • -2 - Weak
Coordinator, Ultimate (20)

Coordinators as a whole have a dirty little secret: Despite the claims of complete genetic control over the traits a child gains, there is no complete control over which traits are inherited and which are suppressed or removed altogether. This is mainly caused by the fetus’ ability to ward off the immunity system of its mother and especially the uterus among other environmental variables of the organ which causes enough distortion that would radically alter any attempts at exact genetic engineering.

As a result of the chaotic uterus of the mother, the concept of the Ultimate Coordinator was created. Despite the misleading name, Ultimate Coordinators are just Coordinators whom are born with the exact traits they were engineered to gain and such a task is performed with an artificial uterus for the zygote and fetus develop until “birth”. From this, genetic material normally mutated as a result of self-defense against the mother’s immunity system is instead used to improve upon the fetus’ development and have made them noticeably more capable mentally and physically. Even the few failed Ultimate Coordinators are noticeably more superior to their more “mundane” Coordinator counterparts in such fields. However, the process to create an Ultimate Coordinator was a well hidden secret and only a few would have even heard of the attempt to create the desired Coordinator.

Lv-DX[END] - Attack
  • 4-2[0] - Heal (Effective. Self-Only)
Level - Ability
  • +2 - Agile
  • +2 - Evasive
  • +2 - Heightened Sense “Hearing”, “Sight”
  • +2 - Perceptive
  • +2 - Quick
  • +2 - Resistance “Diseases”, “G-Forces”, “Poisons”
  • +3 - Smart
  • +2 - Strong
  • +2 - Tough
  • +2 - Vigorous
Level - Weakness
  • -3 - Outcast “Coordinator”
Newtype (8)

The prophesized mutative adaptation of space by Zeon Zum Daikun, individuals known as newtypes have abnormally developed brains due to the fact that 30% of their mass and brain-activity produces a non-electromagnetic energy dubbed “Psycho-Waves”. These Psycho-Waves allow a mental resonance with human beings akin to telepathy or empathy across an appreciative distance from transmitter to receiver and vice versa, which also allows a soldier or combat pilot to sense hostile intent of adversaries and able to act accordingly, often with disastrous results to the attacker. However, though it allows for more “primal” sense of communication it does not always lead to mutual understanding and friendship. In fact, it has an equal chance of intensifying rivalries between Newtypes and other individuals who are able to utilize Quantum Brainwaves of at least C-class.

Level - Ability
  • +4 - Evasive
  • +1 - Iron-willed
  • +2 - Perceptive “Spacial Sense”
  • +2 - Psychic “Psycho-Wave Resonance”
  • +1 - Sixth Sense “Psycho-Wave Resonance”
  • +1 - Quick
Level - Weakness
  • -3 - Outcast “Newtype”
The inquiry would be mostly "Would racial templates need a base Knowledge base?" in terms of the Knowledge Ability. Said Knowledge is largely a minimum requirement for said character to be a productive member of their respective environments. Largely due to how I made these characters, and also note that I didn't really use either the Base Zero nor the Power Ceiling and even the Combined Effectiveness is suspect largely to get a feel on how these two characters are built via OVA 2e:
Amuro Ray (46)

TEMPLATES: Lagrangian, Newtype
DEFENSE: 5
HEALTH: 50
TV: 51
DX[END] - Attack
  • 2[0] - “Handgun” (Effective; Ranged. Weapon)
Level - Ability
  • +1 - Agile
  • +4 - Evasive
  • +5 - Gear “Deviser Suit”
  • +4 - Inventor
  • +1 - Iron-willed
  • +2 - Knowledge “Computers”
  • +2 - Knowledge “Electronics”
  • +1 - Knowledge “Engineering”
  • +1 - Knowledge “Mathematics”
  • +2 - Knowledge “Mechanics, Robot”
  • +1 - Knowledge “Navigation, Space”
  • +1 - Knowledge “Physics”
  • +2 - Passion “Electronics”, “Computers”
  • +1 - Perceptive “Spacial Sense”
  • +1 - Psychic “Psycho-Wave Resonance”
  • +1 - Quick
  • +2 - Resistance “G-Forces”
  • +1 - Sixth Sense “Psycho-Wave Resonance”
  • +2 - Smart
  • +1 - Tough
  • +18 - Vehicle “GAT-X101 Gundam” (Mecha)
  • +7 - Vehicle “FF-X7 Core Fighter” (Mecha)
Level - Weakness
  • -1 - Absent Minded
  • -1 - Ageism
  • -1 - Crybaby
  • -1 - Easily Distracted “Electronics”, “Computers”
  • -1 - Loner
  • -1 - Nosebleeder
  • -3 - Outcast “Newtype”
  • -3 - Outcast “Spacenoid”
  • -1 - Overconfident
  • -3 - Rival “Char Azable”
  • -1 - Rude
  • -2 - Stubborn
  • -1 - Weak
It should be noted that both the Gear "Devicer Suit" and Vehicle “FF-X7 Core Fighter” have yet to be constructed. Rather, their values were largely approximated from the ratio of the Mobile Suit cost compared to their own from the previous engine build.
Kira Yamato (70)

TEMPLATES: Ultimate Coordinator, Selenite, SEED Bearer
DEFENSE: 5
TV: 60
Lv-DX[END] - Attack
  • 2[0] - “Handgun” (Effective; Ranged. Weapon)
  • 4-2[0] - Heal (Effective. Self-Only)
Level - Ability
  • +2 - Agile
  • +2 - Beautiful
  • +3 - Charismatic “SEED Burst”
  • +2 - Combat Expert “SEED Burst”
  • +6 - Companion “Birdie”
  • +2 - Evasive
  • +5 - Gear “Deviser Suit”
  • +2 - Heightened Sense “Hearing”, “Sight”
  • +2 - Intuitive “SEED Burst”
  • +2 - Intuitive
  • +2 - Knowledge “Computers, Programming”
  • +2 - Knowledge “Domestic Arts”
  • +1 - Knowledge “Mechanics”
  • +1 - Knowledge “Power Lifting”
  • +2 - Perceptive “SEED Burst”
  • +3 - Perceptive
  • +1 - Pilot “Automobile”
  • +2 - Quick
  • +2 - Resistance “Poisons”
  • +3 - Smart
  • +2 - Time Freeze “SEED Burst”
  • +27 - Vehicle “GAT-X105 Strike” (Mecha)
  • +4 - Vigorous
Level - Weakness
  • -1 - Ageism
  • -2 - Endurance Use “SEED Burst”
  • -1 - Kind-Hearted
  • -1 - Naïve
  • -1 - Nosebleeder
  • -3 - Outcast “Coordinator”
  • -3 - Outcast “Lunarian”
  • -1 - Pacifist
  • -3 - Rival “Athrun Zala”
  • -1 - Trigger “SEED Burst” (Emotional, later on Determination)
As above, the Gear "Deviser Suit" and Companion "Birdie" were not constructed under OVA 2e rules, with the latter but a simple addition of Flight and Spaceflight abilities.

Anyway, the costs of each character is rather steep and I'm not really sure how to trim them down to more manageable sizes or even postulate a possible Power Ceiling for these characters if Players would construct them via the Templates that I have made examples of earlier.

And speaking of templates, due to a lack of proper abilities and weaknesses for certain templates that I have constructed, I had to create two customized ability/weakness.

First off is a weakness for the Extended.
Berserker Rage – You have a certain psychological trigger, either conditioned or through some sort of trauma, that when met causes you to go into a state of unbridled rage so complete that you immediately attack not only enemies, but friends alike in equal measure regardless of the consequences to yourself or others and will continue to move from “threat” to “threat” until you are calmed down by another trigger. At Level 1, said trigger is difficult to encounter and you are easily calmed down. At Level 2, coming up and down from such rage is equally possible with the same amount of difficulty in between. At Level 3, your trigger is easily encountered and you’re extremely difficult to calm down.
Next is an ability for the Inovades.
Reincarnation – You are just too stubborn to die. No matter how well your enemies think they have destroyed you, there is just a part of you that will be left and that is all that is needed to bring you back to life. Weather that is the essence of your soul, a backup of your memories, an offspring that was born upon your death, the fact of the matter is that you’ll be back and usually with a vengeance against those that have wronged. Add your Reincarnation dice to any dice roll to see if you return to the land of the living, barring any issue that might prevent that of course which is typically through some issue the GM has declared either as background or weaknesses to your character inherit to the form of reincarnation that you have either been blessed, or cursed.
I figured that I might as well put them up to see if they past mustard.

Anyway, thanks for any and all aid rendered.
Last edited by Sabersonic on Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get your Portable ID!

Rest in Peace, Dad
Sabersonic
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Sabersonic »

Well this brainfart hit me like a ton of bricks when I read the Ammunition Flaw topic, and particularly when I read Clay's reply to the initial inquiry:
Clay wrote:You may want to consider Activation instead, or Requirement “requires an action to reload every 2/3 turns.” This might be closer to what you’re aiming for (no pun intended.)
It didn't really hit me until some time afterwards after I was reminded of the 24-hour period for the Ammunition Flaw to be refreshed and the brain fart worms gave me the idea that instead of counting the number of shots, or attacks as it were, the Ammunition Flaw should instead refer to the number of magazines made available before that weapon is out of rounds for further attack. Add in the Requirement note that Clay had mentioned and it should be a rough approximation of the amount of munitions a mobile suit can ferry at any one time.

Here's a weapon profile to serve as an example:
FAITH 90mm Assault Cannon

FAITH standardized weapon type for mobile suits of the Settlement Freedom League; it is a dual feed autocannon that fires two different rounds depending upon need in addition to an underslung grenade launcher. However, the operation differs between SRL member nations. For Zeon, they have opted for Electrochemical-Thermal ignition of their rounds. ZAFT holds a preference over Liquid-Propellant ignition technology which allows the onboard coordinator to adjust the amount of propellant utilized to alter the range and stopping power to a target. The SRA utilize solid propellant and electrical primer technology for their autocannons.

FACTION (8) - Free Republic of Noa, Space Revolutionary Army
  • DX[END] - Attack
  • 2[0] - Attack “90mm Penetration” (Affinity, Aiming; Area Effect; Overwhelming; Ranged. Ammunition x3, 1x Magazine; Inaccurate x2; Requirement, An Action to Reload every 3x Attacks/Turns; Weapon)
  • 2[0] - Attack “90mm High Explosive” (Affinity, Aiming; Area Effect; Overwhelming; Ranged. Ammunition x3, 1x Magazine; Inaccurate x2; Low Penetration; Requirement, An Action to Reload every 3x Attacks/Turns; Weapon)
  • 4[0] - “180mm Attached Grenade Launcher” (Affinity, Aiming; Area Effect x2; Ranged; Stunning. Activation; Ammunition x2; Inaccurate; Weapon)
FACTION (10) - Principality of Zeon
  • DX[END] - Attack
  • 3[0] - Attack “90mm Penetration” (Affinity, Aiming; Area Effect; Armor Piercing; Overwhelming; Ranged. Ammunition x3, 1x Magazine; Inaccurate; Requirement, An Action to Reload every 3x Attacks/Turns; Weapon)
  • 3[0] - Attack “90mm High Explosive” (Affinity, Aiming; Area Effect; Overwhelming; Ranged. Ammunition x3, 1x Magazine; Inaccurate; Requirement, An Action to Reload every 3x Attacks/Turns; Weapon)
  • 4[0] - “180mm Attached Grenade Launcher” (Affinity, Aiming; Area Effect x2; Ranged; Stunning. Activation; Ammunition x2; Inaccurate; Weapon)
FACTION (14) - People’s Liberation Acting Nation of Technology, Zarn Alliance of Freedom Treaty
  • DX[END] - Attack
  • 3[0] - Attack “90mm Penetration, Boosted Liquid-Propellant Velocity” (Affinity, Aiming; Area Effect; Impairing; Overwhelming; Ranged. Activation; Ammunition x2; Inaccurate; Requirement, An Action to Reload every 3x Attacks/Turns; Requirement x2 – Selective Devicer, Coordinator or Extended; Weapon)
  • 3[0] - Attack “90mm High Explosive, Boosted Liquid-Propellant Velocity” (Affinity, Aiming; Area Effect; Impairing; Overwhelming; Ranged. Activation; Ammunition x2; Inaccurate; Low Penetration; Requirement, An Action to Reload every 3x Attacks/Turns; Requirement x2 – Selective Devicer, Coordinator or Extended; Weapon)
  • 2[0] - Attack “90mm Penetration, Standard Liquid-Propellant Velocity” (Affinity, Aiming; Area Effect; Overwhelming; Ranged. Ammunition x3, 1x Magazine; Inaccurate x2; Requirement, An Action to Reload every 3x Attacks/Turns; Weapon)
  • 2[0] - Attack “90mm High Explosive, Standard Liquid-Propellant Velocity” (Affinity, Aiming; Area Effect; Overwhelming; Ranged. Ammunition x3, 1x Magazine; Inaccurate x2; Low Penetration; Requirement, An Action to Reload every 3x Attacks/Turns; Weapon)
  • 1[0] - Attack “90mm Penetration, Subsonic Liquid-Propellant Velocity” (Affinity, Aiming; Area Effect; Overwhelming; Ranged. Activation; Ammunition; Delayed; Inaccurate x3; Low Penetration; Requirement, An Action to Reload every 3x Attacks/Turns; Requirement, An Action to Reload every 3x Attacks/Turns; Requirement x2 – Selective Devicer, Coordinator or Extended; Weapon)
  • 1[0] - Attack “90mm High Explosive, Subsonic Liquid-Propellant Velocity” (Affinity, Aiming; Area Effect; Overwhelming; Ranged. Activation; Ammunition; Delayed; Inaccurate x2; Low Penetration x2; Requirement, An Action to Reload every 3x Attacks/Turns; Requirement x2 – Selective Devicer, Coordinator or Extended; Weapon)
Granted, it doesn't change the overall cost of the weapon themselves, but it does dramatically decrease the Endurance Cost of a design that can allow it to have numerous other effects onto a target and make it a more tactical choice in what attack a player should use upon an enemy and other such considerations that'll make combat all the more interesting.

Still, I'm not sure if I should go with the 5 Equipment Levels or 10 for extra Magazines/E-Pacs, but the above does give it a certain justification. So then, will the above idea sink or swim?
Get your Portable ID!

Rest in Peace, Dad
Sabersonic
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Sabersonic »

From the lack of response to my previous inquiry, I'd say that there's no opposition in my use of the Ammunition Flaw to refer to the Magazines rather than the number of shots so it could go either way.

Also, I've slimmed the Racial templates so Lagrangian and Selenite are 2 and -7 respectfully through the exclusion of Knowledge Abilities. Same thing with Ultimate Coordinator and Newtype at 10 and 8 respectfully, which brings both Amuro and Kira just under the 50 cost mark. It's not much, but it's a start and something a bit more easier to manage in the long run.

Anyway, let's move on to arguably the last portion of my giant robot construction paradigm (unless one wishes to take a look at my interpretation of the Striker Packs) with the Environmental Packages.
Orbital Mechanics Superiority Configuration (6, 8 )

As per the United Maintenance Plan of the Settlement Freedom League’s Fast Acting Integral Tactical Headquarters or FAITH, this environmental adaptation package can be placed upon any SRL mobile suit of their respective nations with enough personnel to commit an entire week’s worth of installation and overhaul. The primary focus of the environmental adaptation package is superior orbital mechanics, enhanced sensors to compliment long distance combat due to the ranges of space and protection of the pilot from the hazards of space.

Zeon and SRA Mobile Suits utilize thermonuclear rocket motors for propulsion, with the latter not as powerful as the former, while ZAFT Mobile Suits utilize Electrochemical-Thermal and Conventional Dual-Rocket Motors.

Gameplay Notes: Luck Dice Check against Thermal Shutdown to Base Target Number 18 for MS with Thermoluclear Fusion or Matter-Antimatter Reactors.

STANDARD MODELS (6)
Level - Ability
  • +1 - Agile “Active Mass Balance Auto-Control”
  • +2 - Evasive “Active Mass Balance Auto-Control”
  • +2 - Life Support (Space)
  • +2 - Perception “Infrared”
  • +2 - Spaceflight “Thermonuclear Fusion Rockets”
  • +1 - Vigorous
Level - Weakness
  • -3 - Prerequisite “Heat Radiators” (2x Radiator Panels)
  • -1 - Endurance Use “Thermonuclear Fusion Rockets”
MS-09 DOM, RMS-09 SEPTEM, MS-14 GELGOOG MODELS (8)
Level - Ability
  • +1 - Agile “Active Mass Balance Auto-Control”
  • +2 - Evasive “Active Mass Balance Auto-Control”
  • +2 - Life Support (Space)
  • +2 - Perception “Infrared”
  • +2 - Spaceflight “Thermonuclear Fusion Rockets”
  • +2 - Vigorous
Level - Weakness
  • -3 - Prerequisite “Heat Radiators” (2x Radiator Panels)
Spaceflight - Whether it be by rocket drives, gravity waves, magic or whatnots, you have the marvelous ability to fly through space. While spaceflight itself is not such a noteworthy ability to you, the level you have in spaceflight can be used when racing opponents, performing stunts, or similar testing of your skill in space.
I know, it's basically the Flight Ability but reworded. It works all the same anyway.
Ground Combat Configuration (5, 7)

As per the United Maintenance Plan of the Settlement Freedom League’s Fast Acting Integral Tactical Headquarters or FAITH, this environmental adaptation package can be placed upon any SRL mobile suit of their respective nations with enough personnel to commit an entire week’s worth of installation and overhaul. The primary focus of the environmental adaptation package is surface gravity upon a planet, mainly earth, and able to operate in numerous terrestrial environments.

Gameplay Notes: Luck Dice Check against Thermal Shutdown to Base Target Number 18 for MS with Thermoluclear Fusion or Matter-Antimatter Reactors.

STANDARD MODELS (5)
Level - Ability
  • +2 - Jumping “Jump Rockets”
  • +2 - Life Support (Land)
  • +2 - Perception “Ground Sonar”
  • +1 - Perception “Infrared”
Level - Weakness
  • -2 - Limited Use “Jump Rockets”
MS-09 DOM, RMS-09 SEPTEM, MS-14 GELGOOG MODELS (7)
Level - Ability
  • +2 - Jumping “Jump Rockets”
  • +2 - Life Support (Land)
  • +2 - Perception “Ground Sonar”
  • +3 - Quick “Thermonuclear Fusion Ground Effect Jet Engines”
Level - Weakness
  • -1 - Endurance Use “Thermonuclear Fusion Ground Effect Jet Engines”
Jumping - You can really jump! And you can jump high and/or far in a single bound to such an extend that it feels like you're flying. Unlike flight, however, you can't control your path of "flight" and must plan where you land up to the moment you commit yourself to the jump and are largely vulnerable (unless you have agility of course!) to hostile fire. Add your Jumping dice (as well as other abilities that may apply) to any dice roll to see if you land where you wanted to land. Typically the farther or difficult the jump is, the tricker it is to hit that imaginary bull's eye.

Complexity - DN
  • Beyond Normal (Basketball Court) - 2
  • Heroic (Open Field, Meadow) - 4
  • Superhuman (Skyscraper) - 6
  • Awesome (Mountain) - 8
  • Extraordinary (Regional) - 10
  • Legendary (Reach the sky, Go Orbital) - 12

Well I figured that Jumping would be more of a challenge to succeed compared to flight. Not sure of the wording and examples though. I'm open to any suggestion.
Amphibious Combat Configuration (5, 9)

As per the United Maintenance Plan of the Settlement Freedom League’s Fast Acting Integral Tactical Headquarters or FAITH, this environmental adaptation package can be placed upon any SRL mobile suit of their respective nations with enough personnel to commit an entire week’s worth of installation and overhaul. The primary focus of the environmental adaptation package is amphibious and submersible combat within and in close proximity to bodies of waters that cover much of the earth’s surface. However, it cannot submerse as deeply as dedicated amphibious and submersible mobile suits and mobile armor, nor can it travel as fast.

STANDARD MODELS (5)
Level - Ability
  • +1 - Jumping “Jump Rockets”
  • +3 - Life Support (Underwater, Land)
  • +2 - Perception “Sonar”
  • +1 - Swimming
Level - Weakness
MS-09 DOM, RMS-09 SEPTEM, MS-14 GELGOOG MODELS (9)
Level - Ability
  • +1 - Jumping “Jump Rockets”
  • +3 - Life Support (Underwater, Land)
  • +2 - Perception “Sonar”
  • +3 - Quick “Thermonuclear Fusion Ground Effect Jet Engines”
  • +2 - Swimming “Thermonuclear Fusion Hydrojet Engines”
Level - Weakness
  • -1 - Endurance Use “Thermonuclear Fusion Hydrojet Jet Engines”
  • -1 - Endurance Use “Thermonuclear Fusion Ground Effect Jet Engines”
Swimming - Whatever the means, either by a fish tail, magic, some form of super science, the heart of the matter is that you can swim and you can swim fast! While swimming itself is not such a noteworthy ability to you, the level you have in swimming can be used when racing opponents, performing stunts, or similar testing of your skill in the water.
And like Spaceflight, Swimming is just Flight but reworded. The only real difference is the medium to which said ability can occur. Air with Flight, Space with, well, Spaceflight, and Water with Swimming.

Anyway, that should be a good enough example of what I have in mind for the design and customization of these mobile suits along with new Abilities. So then, comments?
Get your Portable ID!

Rest in Peace, Dad
Sabersonic
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Sabersonic »

I've been meaning to ask this query for quite a while now, but I've been kept delayed, distracted, and all that good stuff. It's largely an uncertainty, under OVA2e rules, if a character is able to utilize certain attributes that is "translated" to a mecha. For example, if a character has telekinesis then would it be possible for their mecha to have telekinesis as well the moment they step into the cockpit (aka no changes aside) and still be at the same level but different scale? Different level on different scale? Through some collection of associated weaknesses to keep balance? Or is it largely GM fiat?

I ask this because in a succeeding adventure, a party of PCs (who are highly unlikely to be the same PCs of the campaign mentioned in previous entries) would encounter the Death Army like the following:

But a chief difference is that while in G Gundam it was more mechanical, this variant is.....well.... more squishy....

I only ask because I have created a template "character" for these particular NPCs and they are effectively mecha that can basically transform other mecha into the above mentioned monstrosities either via close contact or through physical-based weaponry such as swords or bullets. And considering the list of mobile suits I have ready for conversion, I REALLY don't wanna do two versions of said suits to cover the whole "This giant robot is a techno-organic zombie that'll absorb you" aspect. I can figure that the Transformation would require the Focus Weakness being the Mobile Suit itself, Targeted Use to show that it's only used on other people i.e. victims, and some other Weaknesses to show that it can also be used at range via the mobile suit's weapons, abet in a slower fashion.

So then, does anyone wish to offer some advise on this conundrum of mine?
Get your Portable ID!

Rest in Peace, Dad
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Post by sniffycrab »

The PILOT ability does apply to Mecha. I think Armuro Ray should have it higher. The rating for the Vehicle ability is how useful it is in the setting compared to everyone's else vehicle. You could probably drop the Ratings for his Mecha to 6 and 5 respectively and free up some points.
Sabersonic
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Sabersonic »

sniffycrab wrote:The PILOT ability does apply to Mecha. I think Armuro Ray should have it higher. The rating for the Vehicle ability is how useful it is in the setting compared to everyone's else vehicle. You could probably drop the Ratings for his Mecha to 6 and 5 respectively and free up some points.
So basically it's a "no" when it comes to character abilities and scale when it comes to mecha then? Guess that whole Focus and Targeted Use Weaknesses would largely cover that portion then.

As for the Vehicle (Mecha) thing, as useful and economical the "abstract" version of said Ability, I'm not really sure it's advisable game balance wise since such values can change over the course of a single campaign where more improved and advanced models come out that just might (theoretically) decrease said Ratings and not be overall fair to any potential players. And considering that I got 29 Zeon suits, 24 ZAFT suits, 5 SRA suits, and 47 Earth Federation suits to convert to OVA 2e, it just might be slightly easier for me to just do the "Double Level to Rating Value" and ensure some kind of consistent value (outside of XP or the equivalent) rather then to just try and guestimate the abstract "usefulness" of any singular mobile suit design over the course of a single adventure.

And while we're on the subject at hand, is there something I missed during the Attack Design phase of character creation? When I submitted my interpretation of one Segata Sanshiro, it was originally a 15 point character. Yet, sniffycrab said that I was over the Base Zero rule by 4 points. This naturally made me do a double take, and especially when looking at the written maximum value (both positive and negative) written in the book. Then I performed a later calculation which showed that the original 15 point cost was due to my inclusion of the Attack Level of each separate Attack. So then, are these designed attacks with all their ability perks and flaws even counted towards a character's total point value? It left me confused.
Get your Portable ID!

Rest in Peace, Dad
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Post by sniffycrab »

Sabersonic wrote: And while we're on the subject at hand, is there something I missed during the Attack Design phase of character creation? When I submitted my interpretation of one Segata Sanshiro, it was originally a 15 point character. Yet, sniffycrab said that I was over the Base Zero rule by 4 points. This naturally made me do a double take, and especially when looking at the written maximum value (both positive and negative) written in the book. Then I performed a later calculation which showed that the original 15 point cost was due to my inclusion of the Attack Level of each separate Attack. So then, are these designed attacks with all their ability perks and flaws even counted towards a character's total point value? It left me confused.
Rule Zero has nothing to do with 15 points. It means you Have the same amount of Abilities as you do Flaws within an error of 5. It's called rule Zero because when you ad the Positives (Abilities) to the Negatives (Flaws) it comes out at 0. That is the rules all the sample characters used for generation. That method is not good for every game or character.

Example of Base 0 from OVA on page 21.

Bob the grand Has 20 points in abilities and -18 points in Flaws. After adding those together the Result is 2 and he falls within Base Zero.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Regarding Telekinesis, I think that depends on the kind of world you’re creating. If Telekinesis is the pilot’s signature, and they're not that great at other mecha skills, then I think it’s perfectly feasible to translate it over. Perhaps give the Mecha a +2 Unique Ability (Telekinetic Amplification). This way, the character’s mecha is also unique...and perhaps they can’t use these powers just jumping into ANY old mecha.

If your characters are assigned mecha by the government/army, and it’s not actually their own possession, it may be easier to leave the Vehicle Ability off the character sheet altogether. This is doubly true if you make a habit of assigning different mecha to different characters as time goes on.

As for Attack, you only count it “once.” Attack +3 is Attack +3 (and worth 3 points) regardless of how many variations you make. Even if you have 10 different Attack moves, it will still only cost whatever your Level in the Attack Ability is.