Clay, any personal favorites when coming up with characters?

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Rawle Nyanzi
Worthy Tortoise

Clay, any personal favorites when coming up with characters?

Post by Rawle Nyanzi »

Clay,

I got the full PDF when you e-mailed it, and even printed it up and put it in a binder so that I have a nice, convenient hard copy. Yay for double-sided printing!

Anyway, did you have any favorites when designing the characters? I get a strong sense that you liked Karis the most, since she is featured prominently in a lot of the promotional art and even the beach photo. She even seems to have the most developed backstory.

Not knocking it, though. When we create stories, we all have favorites.

Secondly, am I correct in assuming the following?

Raine is based on Himura Kenshin from Rurouni Kenshin; his effeminate appearance is an exaggeration of Kenshin's.

Shou is based on various characters from Fushigi Yuugi or Inuyasha. I can easily see him slinging Fukiko over his shoulder* and unleashing a spell as he makes his escape, like Tasuki does to Miaka at one point.

Karis is a good-guy version of Nagi from Tenchi Universe. More broadly, she is based on characters like Gene Starwind from Outlaw Star.

Miho is a MUCH lighter-and-softer version of the robot girl from Saikano. She even has the wings! Braun is likewise a lighter-and-softer version of the male lead from that show.

Natsuki is based on Akiko Natsume from Nuku-Nuku.

Fukiko, while most similar to Ichigo from Tokyo Mew Mew, is simply a representative of all magical girl leads.

Auren is based on either Orphen from Sorcerous Stabber Orphen or Van from Escaflowne.

I'm not sure about Ai.

Yuu is obviously based on Ash Ketchum from Pokemon, down to the electricity-wielding companion animal. More broadly, he is based on all leads from "pet monster" anime like Digimon or Monster Rancher.

Daisuke is based on the guys from Fruits Basket, who turn into animals whenever a female touches them. This trait is combined with the overt lechery of anime characters such as Brock from Pokemon or Master Roshi from Dragon Ball Z.

Cora is based on Zatanna. They even have similar outfits.

* Such a scene would be 100x funnier if Natsuki was Shou's unfortunate victim.

EDIT: Added bold tag to Auren's name.
Last edited by Rawle Nyanzi on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Re: Clay, any personal favorites when coming up with charact

Post by Chris Brady »

Rawle Nyanzi wrote:Secondly, am I correct in assuming the following?
Not Clay, but I can see some inspirations, but I disagree on several of your choices. And as always, this is just opinion.
Rawle Nyanzi wrote:Raine is based on Himura Kenshin from Rurouni Kenshin; his effeminate appearance is an exaggeration of Kenshin's.[/quote[

Yes, he's almost ever 'Bishonen' swordsman archetype I've ever seen.
Rawle Nyanzi wrote:Shou is based on various characters from Fushigi Yuugi or Inuyasha. I can easily see him slinging Fukiko over his shoulder* and unleashing a spell as he makes his escape, like Tasuki does to Miaka at one point.
No, he's clearly the 'Rival'. And frankly, he's not even likeable. And Tasuki was an enjoyable character. Despite my aversion to Fuushigi Yuugi. Not sure why he's a PC.
Rawle Nyanzi wrote:Karis is a good-guy version of Nagi from Tenchi Universe. More broadly, she is based on characters like Gene Starwind from Outlaw Star.
She's more closely to Iria, of the Zeiram Animation redo, as well as the original 4 OVA episodes, actually. Except in Karis' case, she lost her adored father to the big bad, not her adored big brother. Both had a big, very powerful, bad they have/had to struggle against.
Rawle Nyanzi wrote:Miho is a MUCH lighter-and-softer version of the robot girl from Saikano. She even has the wings! Braun is likewise a lighter-and-softer version of the male lead from that show.
Cat Girl Nuku, I'd say, but I can agree here, as well.
Rawle Nyanzi wrote:Natsuki is based on Akiko Natsume from Nuku-Nuku.
This one is every female man-hating villain from any anime that features such. Akiko didn't actually hate her husband, and she adored her son, in fact, if her ex-husband wasn't so damn 'flighty', they'd still be married!

Frankly, I'm still confused as to why she's considered a playable character. She has no redeeming features, nothing about her is 'nice'. She's a pure villain with a clearly sexist hatred agenda to push.

In fact, I'd say swap her with Inspector Jiro. He's actually a decent man, if a little high strung. I can totally see him as a Player.
Rawle Nyanzi wrote:Fukiko, while most similar to Ichigo from Tokyo Mew Mew, is simply a representative of all magical girl leads.
She seems more similar to Nurse Angle Ririka, actually. But Tokyo Mew Mew, I also agree with. With some shades of Sailor Moon, namely Azyrus. What she doesn't have, is a Tuxedo Mask, or some boy she likes. Which is a common trope.
Rawle Nyanzi wrote:Auren is based on either Orphen from Sorcerous Stabber Orphen or Van from Escaflowne.
Both of these characters you mention are actually more Fighters than Magic Users (to use D&D-isms.) Although Auren could be used as Fukiko's almost love interests. (As creepy as that sounds now, bear in mind, Sailor Moon was about 12 when the original series stared, and the Tuxedo Mask was already at least 18.) But he's more the reverse of the 'Stranger in a Strange Land' trope. Instead of the boy (Like say, Monster Rancher's leads) being sent to a Fantasy Land, Auren got sent to a future.
Rawle Nyanzi wrote:I'm not sure about Ai.
Combination Serial Experiments Lain, Akira and the more recent Ergo Proxy. I can see the similarity between all these stories in Ai.
Rawle Nyanzi wrote:Yuu is obviously based on Ash Ketchum from Pokemon, down to the electricity-wielding companion animal. More broadly, he is based on all leads from "pet monster" anime like Digimon or Monster Rancher.
Yeah, the influences are rather obvious, can't argue that.
Rawle Nyanzi wrote:Daisuke is based on the guys from Fruits Basket, who turn into animals whenever a female touches them. This trait is combined with the overt lechery of anime characters such as Brock from Pokemon or Master Roshi from Dragon Ball Z.
This more of a Ranma reference. Where someone is 'cursed' to change shape when a certain event happens. Ranma was cold or hot water. Daisuke is an affectionate woman's touch.
Rawle Nyanzi wrote:Cora is based on Zatanna. They even have similar outfits.
You know, that was the first reference I got, but... That's not Anime. Although, I could accept an argument for the Young Justice cartoon that was recently cancelled.

Again, my opinions, based on the Anime I grew up watching, and some I still do.
"And now my friends, a Dragon's Toast! To life's little blessings; wars, plagues and all forms of evil. Their presence keeps us alert-- And their absence keeps us grateful!" - T.A. Barron
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

I know it’s such a copout answer, but I love all the characters. Karis does have a long history, though...She started out as my avatar in Phantasy Star Online for the Dreamcast. (Talk about history...)

All of the Sample Characters play on tropes and cliches common to anime, though I wouldn’t go so far as to say any one of them is based specifically on any one particular character. But in any case, I’ll point out a few of my inspirations below.

Raine: To be fair, Chris, the “bishounen swordsman” archetype was probably pioneered by Kenshin. :)

Shou doesn’t really have any explicit inspirations, besides, as pointed out, various anime with Asian-Fantasy inspired characters. That said, I think he can be a very fun character. Of all the cast, he’s probably the easiest to play with reckless abandon. (See the Sample of Play.)

Karis also has a touch of Lina Inverse, despite the genre jump.

Miho does draw inspiration from Saikano and Nuku-Nuku, but also from Chobits, Mahoromatic and numerous other “exotic girlfriend” stories.

Braun is likewise inspired by the countless male protagonists from those shows, along with a heavy helping of Washuu’s mad science.

Natsuki: Yes, Akiko, and I think a dash of a certain Ranma character whose name is eluding me at this point. While she is probably the hardest character to integrate with other players, it’s by no means impossible. I mean, VEGETA of all people became a “good” guy in Dragon Ball, so I think players are capable of making very interesting dynamics with her.

Auren is an amalgam of several fantasy anime tropes combined with, as you say, a play on the usual “normal guy in a fantasy world” shtick we’ve seen time and again. And yes, a bit of Tuxedo Mask, too, while we’re at it.

Ai is extremely and absurdly loosely inspired by Serial Experiments Lain. When I think back on Lain, I can’t think of anything that is actually relevant to Ai’s background, but a lot of the feelings of isolation were channeled into her character.

Yuu: Yep. Pokemon. And Digimon. And a lot of other -mons. I tried to give him a bit more character and plot than is usually granted these characters, but he’s still a Pokemon Trainer at heart.

Daisuke is inspired by Ranma ½ and its countless curses, but also Ataru from Urusei Yatsura (another Rumiko Takahashi story), and various J-Pop and Rock singers.

Cora is intentionally a little outside the box. While I remember Zatanna fondly from episodes of Batman: The Animated Series, I think similarities in costume are more due to the fact that Zatanna, you know, is a stage magician. These things look a certain way, right? :) Also a big dose of film noir, and any series that delved into mystical shinto beliefs. I think most recently is Dennou Coil, which brilliantly combines shinto tropes into a near future augmented reality.
Rawle Nyanzi
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Rawle Nyanzi »

Thanks, Clay and Chris Brady. Very enlightening.

I'll make a few tweaks to Natsuki's background and character to make her playable in my planned campaign while still keeping what makes her unique. Among them will be making her a high-ranking politician (not a head of state) and making her claw and its enhanced strength come from magic rather than super-science. I'll replace the man-hatred with extreme nationalism, so she flies off the handle against foreigners of either sex instead of at men. She would still be abrasive and grating and get on everyone's nerves, but she would be able to interact with a team a little better.
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

Clay wrote:Raine: To be fair, Chris, the “bishounen swordsman” archetype was probably pioneered by Kenshin. :)
You know, I'm trying to think of one before, and I'm pretty sure there is, but I keep looping back to Kenshin. Although, technically he's not the original, classical definition of a Bishonen. He's not tall, he's not androgynously pretty. But yes, he did (at least to my memory) create the trend.
Clay wrote:Shou doesn’t really have any explicit inspirations, besides, as pointed out, various anime with Asian-Fantasy inspired characters. That said, I think he can be a very fun character. Of all the cast, he’s probably the easiest to play with reckless abandon. (See the Sample of Play.)
The issue with Shou is the lack of empathy he tends to generate from players. There's nothing 'nice' about him that you can nurture into character growth. But at least, he's not Natsuki. (Yes, I am bitter about that. :) )
Clay wrote:Karis also has a touch of Lina Inverse, despite the genre jump.
Like I said, I can see more Iria (Or rather the player in that incredibly long campaign of ours we have and is on hold for the moment) than Lina. I mean, other than her chest sensitivity, which is not unique to any one anime series.
Clay wrote:Miho does draw inspiration from Saikano and Nuku-Nuku, but also from Chobits, Mahoromatic and numerous other “exotic girlfriend” stories.
A genre that has recently died a quiet death, sadly.
Clay wrote:Braun is likewise inspired by the countless male protagonists from those shows, along with a heavy helping of Washuu’s mad science.
He's more broad in his archetype, though. He can be used in just about any 'hapless male' lead in the Comedy genre of anime, as I see it.
Clay wrote:Natsuki: Yes, Akiko, and I think a dash of a certain Ranma character whose name is eluding me at this point. While she is probably the hardest character to integrate with other players, it’s by no means impossible. I mean, VEGETA of all people became a “good” guy in Dragon Ball, so I think players are capable of making very interesting dynamics with her.
In Vegeta's defense, he had several in universe YEARS to mellow out, and it did still disgust him that he did. Not to mention that he had a rival, a man that he had been trying to beat all his earthly life, and still doesn't manage to, instead accepting it at the end.

He didn't actively hate any one race or sex or species or nationality, it was more than they were, originally, beneath him. He wasn't out to destroy Earth, just Kakarot. Whereas Natsuki is a pure man-hating b!*#$, with no redeeming features.
Clay wrote:Auren is an amalgam of several fantasy anime tropes combined with, as you say, a play on the usual “normal guy in a fantasy world” shtick we’ve seen time and again. And yes, a bit of Tuxedo Mask, too, while we’re at it.
So he's supposed to be Fukiko's 'love interest', or rather can fit that role if necessary much more easily than say, Daisuke?
Clay wrote:Ai is extremely and absurdly loosely inspired by Serial Experiments Lain. When I think back on Lain, I can’t think of anything that is actually relevant to Ai’s background, but a lot of the feelings of isolation were channeled into her character.
Like I said, Clay, if you open it up to Akira (for the psychic powers, and 'evil' organization) and Ergo Proxy (For the 'Evil' Corporation and the specialized robots/monsters aspect) you could make a case for Ai to be more than just loosely based. :)
Clay wrote:Yuu: Yep. Pokemon. And Digimon. And a lot of other -mons. I tried to give him a bit more character and plot than is usually granted these characters, but he’s still a Pokemon Trainer at heart.
Honestly, I have a hard time fitting him in with any of the other characters, including Ai's which is odd seeing as the artist seemed to pair them together a lot.
Clay wrote:Daisuke is inspired by Ranma ½ and its countless curses, but also Ataru from Urusei Yatsura (another Rumiko Takahashi story), and various J-Pop and Rock singers.
Another personally problematic character as he doesn't actually have any obvious redeeming features, but at least his is a gag than has been used for decades.
Clay wrote:Cora is intentionally a little outside the box. While I remember Zatanna fondly from episodes of Batman: The Animated Series, I think similarities in costume are more due to the fact that Zatanna, you know, is a stage magician. These things look a certain way, right? :) Also a big dose of film noir, and any series that delved into mystical shinto beliefs. I think most recently is Dennou Coil, which brilliantly combines shinto tropes into a near future augmented reality.
I'll have to look into that series.

And before I forget, I have to say, I agree with Rawle Nyanzi, Karis does have a LOT more story than any of the other characters. I think that may be one one of the players in the group has latched on to her so hard.

(Once we figure out what we want to, character-wise with her and mine, we'll put an update version of her on my Campaign thread. My friend is still grousing over the change of ears. Heh.)
"And now my friends, a Dragon's Toast! To life's little blessings; wars, plagues and all forms of evil. Their presence keeps us alert-- And their absence keeps us grateful!" - T.A. Barron
cassius335
Worthy Tortoise

Post by cassius335 »

Chris Brady wrote:
Clay wrote:
Clay wrote:Yuu: Yep. Pokemon. And Digimon. And a lot of other -mons. I tried to give him a bit more character and plot than is usually granted these characters, but he’s still a Pokemon Trainer at heart.
Honestly, I have a hard time fitting him in with any of the other characters, including Ai's which is odd seeing as the artist seemed to pair them together a lot.
Yes, apparently Yuu's search was not a long one! :p

You could alway pair Yuu with Fukkio, as per one of the pictures. At the very least it gives each of them a friend about the same age.
Joe_Mello
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Joe_Mello »

Clay wrote:Natsuki: Yes, Akiko, and I think a dash of a certain Ranma character whose name is eluding me at this point.
Nabiki. :3
Joe_Mello: Could you make a common sense roll, please, Ryu?
Ryushikaze: With Smart?
Joe_Mello: Sure
*Ryushikaze rolls*
Joe_Mello: SHE'S DEAD!
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

Hey, Clay? What 'Race' is Karis anyway? Did you ever come up with a name?
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Joe Mello: Ah yes, Nabiki. Thanks.

Chris Brady: Well, since she hails from Andaros, Andarosian seems appropriate! :)
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

Does it say so in her bio? I can't believe I missed that...