Ideas for Regeneration ability and Recover Roll

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Gaigaia
Worthy Tortoise

Ideas for Regeneration ability and Recover Roll

Post by Gaigaia »

So, about recovering 10 Endurance during combat if you do nothing but recuperate, why did that change from 5 to 10 during the revised edition? Was 5 not too much?

Nevertheless, I'm the kind of person who likes seeing people rolling dice wherever they do an action - even actions that are pretty mundane, I like having them to roll and see how 'well' they did. With that said, what do you guys thinking about a recover roll?

Instead of regaining 10 automatically, you would roll 2d6 + Vitality + Tough and that would be your recover. It would be less to normal and less resilient characters, but characters whose abilities reflect a very sturdy and vigorous person could recuperate more than 10. It adds a layer of randonmness that might be interesting.

Adding to that, there could also be the ability 'regeneration', which would not only add to the recover roll, but would allow you to split the total rolled between Health and Endurance. So, rolling 14 total, you could put 8 to Health and 6 to endurance. If you are defeated in combat, you would not be able to use regeneration to 'never lose', or else that would be a very broken ability.

This possibilitates the creation of a kind of character that I find very interesting for a villain, that is the 'living wall'. A character that basically does not attack and has high defense and regeneration, and causes damage through inaction. Like, a giant sentient wall of fire who impedes the progress of the heroes, having Armor, Regeneration and Barrier (attack).

Well, what do you guys think of Recover Rolls and Regeneration?
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Re: Ideas for Regeneration ability and Recover Roll

Post by Clay »

The main reason for the change is that a character can only recover ONCE in a given combat now. This was not the case in the original game (where, given enough time, you could recover ad infinitum.)

But using Vigorous dice is an interesting thought. It would make recovering Endurance consistent with the way recovering Health works now. I think I might go with that!

Regen, as you describe it, is basically Heal with the Self Only Flaw. If you really wanted to recover Endurance, you could create a special Perk for that (or reword Fatiguing to include restoring damage to Endurance.) But Endurance recovering Abilities are as a whole less useful since it’s basically so easy to get Endurance back.
Gaigaia
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Gaigaia »

Hum, the thing with recovering Endurance during battle is that it makes possible to use more Techniques, since they ocasionally cost Endurance. Having an ability that allows for recovering Endurance instead of health would be good for that. So, if Regeneration heals Endurance, you could, theoretically, don't worry about having no endurance. Of course, if you are out of Health and Endurance, you would not be able to regenerate normally, or you would just be immortal.

That is the idea I present with the recover roll. It is also something kind of common in shonen anime/manga, with 'powering up', where the warriors 'charge' their ki (dragon ball z style). Instead of using a turn to 'attack', you would use it to 'attack yourself' but to heal up and have more 'ki' to blast with powers.

If those ideas were of any help, I'm glad. ^^
Gaigaia
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Gaigaia »

As I just looked into the preview pdf, I see that Heal takes basically all actions you can make in a round - not giving space even to defense rolls.

So, the Regeneration ability would be different from Heal. It would only work on yourself, but you would be able to heal and defend at the same turn, while, if you tried to use Heal, you would only be able to do so if you did not defend nor received damage.

So, it might be a good idea for a different power.