1e House Rule: Clashes and Struggles

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

AdamThePony
Shelled Plebeian

1e House Rule: Clashes and Struggles

Post by AdamThePony »

Though this might technically be covered by the Counter rule in the First Edition book, I figured that I might add rules to invoke a classic trope of Shounen works:

The Struggle.

You've seen it countless times. Two Kamehameha Waves crashing against each other, the swords of two fencers locked against one another, or simply two characters locked in a tight grapple. Neither side's willing to budge, but only one can come out unscathed.

The rules for a Struggle are simple: Much like the Counter, the two opponents make a contested attack roll. Should the results come dead even, a Struggle ensues. The two then make a series of contested rolls "best of 3/5/7" fashion, depending on how high the reuslting number was. The first to win the required number of rounds wins the struggle, and the sum of the winning numbers is compared to a defense roll of zero.

Ideally, this should be more likely to occur with stronger characters, as the chance of rolling matching numbers makes such a contest to be very climactic.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Re: 1e House Rule: Clashes and Struggles

Post by Clay »

That's a pretty cool addition! I could see that being a very dramatic ending (or beginning!) to a fight.

In a game with multiple players though, I could see it monopolizing screen time and leaving other players a bit restless as you play out this single attack. But in a one-on-one game? I'd definitely see the appeal.