question of mechanics, special attack and perceptive

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

armadon70726
Shelled Plebeian

question of mechanics, special attack and perceptive

Post by armadon70726 »

hi all, i was wondering if special attacks still have a base endurance cost before perks and flaws are tallied because i can't find one in the preview. also when using a scoped weapon should perceptive apply? thank you for a great system Clay.
bushido11
Worthy Tortoise

Re: question of mechanics, special attack and perceptive

Post by bushido11 »

If you're talking about OVA Revised, all attacks have a base endurance cost of zero before perks and flaws are tallied.

As to whether or not perceptive should apply to scoped weapons, that's your call. If anything, declare that you're taking one round to aim your shot to then apply your Perceptive dice to your next attack roll, and should you be forced to make a Defense roll or be hit, you lose your aim and don't apply the bonus. Last but not least, you cannot roll more than seven dice when making attack or defense rolls, regardless of how many dice you can tally up from various abilities/weaknesses.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Regarding Perceptive, I would say it only applies if a character's vision/attentiveness specifically comes into play. Just firing a gun at a target and hitting is more about your skill with shooting than your ability to see. On the other hand, hitting a tiny target near the limits of your weapon's range could very well have Perceptive included.

Bushido also makes some great suggestions, though it's not accurate to say you can only roll 7 dice. What the rules actually state is it's suggested that you not create characters with attack rolls better than seven dice. If you increase it higher than that through a limited exception during play, you should go ahead and include all relevant dice.
armadon70726
Shelled Plebeian

Post by armadon70726 »

thanks ya'll, the DM was unsure about the endurance bit because of the previous iteration of the skill. The whole deal with perceptive was my wondering if i could argue it with my DM because someone else in the group is having a very streak of rolls when using her sniper rifle in game so I wanted to try to help. thanks again for the advice.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Yeah, Endurance used to work slightly differently. Now any attack does NOT use Endurance unless it explicitly takes enough Perks to cause it to do so. No Ability does...except Magic.