Pick a character!

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

PnPgamer
Shelled Plebeian

Pick a character!

Post by PnPgamer »

hey, ever since I got to known to this OVA game, I've been always wondering about almost every character how they would be made into this, whether it is from games, movies or books.

So here I suggest to you, pick a character from... anywhere, and fit him/her/it into the rules of OVA and post it here. Remember to give details where the character is from :D
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Re: Pick a character!

Post by Clay »

I think this is a great idea. It's something I always plan to do...perhaps if I ever get more time!

Did you have any ideas for someone to recreate in OVA, PnPgamer?
Gobbo
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Gobbo »

I would love to see some of the cast of Cowboy Bebop...
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

The cast of Tenchi Muyo (Or any of the spin off series for that matter.)

The cast of Bakemonogatari.

Iria, The Last Zeiram Animation (Both OVA and movie.)

I'd do 'em, but I've not seen either enough of them, or it's been so long since I have.
"And now my friends, a Dragon's Toast! To life's little blessings; wars, plagues and all forms of evil. Their presence keeps us alert-- And their absence keeps us grateful!" - T.A. Barron
Cloud
Savior of Turtles

Post by Cloud »

I had made megaman and protoman in the past. I was going to make a new thread to share my write ups for Chrono, Lucca and Marle from Chrono Trigger but I used the backer preview so I am not 100% sure I can post them yet...
Watch this and all will become clear...http://tinyurl.com/m7qr3rq
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Feel free to post away, Cloud! Considering the Player Books feature most of the new Abilities/Weaknesses/Perks/Flaws anyway, I think all is just fine unless you want to paste whole swaths of text from the Preview itself.

Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite games of all time, so I'd be interested to see how they convert over to OVA.
Cloud
Savior of Turtles

Post by Cloud »

Cool cool! Without further Ado:

So here are my writeups for Crono Lucca and Marle. Obligatory disclaimer: The characters are built under my interpretation of them and thus may not reflect how you interpreted them. If you have your own version, I would definitely be interested in seeing how you would create them.

I chose the base zero rules for chargin.

Crono- Crono is a young swordsman from the kingdom of Guardia. He lives with his Mother and his pet cat. He likes to sleep in and practice Kendo. His best friend is the inventor genius Lucca. Crono was to meet Lucca at the Millennial Fair as she was to unveil her greatest invention yet...

Affinity Lightning. Total ( +2)

Weaknesses- 10
Ageism- 1. Age 16
Bizzare appearence- 1. Flashy spikey red hair.
Impulsive- 2. In my opinion, Crono has shown to be somewhat impulsive or reckless. Crono's first instinct after bumping into Marle in Leene's square was not only to help her but hang out with her all day without knowing anything about her (after all she could be a runaway ;-) ). Later on, he joined 600 A.D's quest to fight Magus, the man who single handedly defeated Guardia's biggest hero whom wielded the only weapon capable of damaging him. Spoilers* his death at the hands of Lavos. During that scene, he did not have to stand back up and try to attack.
Love Magnet- 1 2 of 3 female companions like him.
Mute- 2. Silent protag. In some art, he seems to have a notepad on his belt. Maybe he used that to communicate.
Unique weakness- 1 deep sleeper- Good morning Crono!
Guardian- 2. (those in need). Crono always volunteers to stand up for those in trouble.

Abilities- 12
Agile- 2 (the finishing move scene with the dragon tank in 1000 A.D, moves like SpinCut or Confuse and especially double techs.)
Attack- 3 - Crono is shown to be a very good swordsman.
Knowledge- 2* Kendo - opening cutsceene *
Quick- 3 - lightning affinity
Tough- 2
Vigorous- 1
*base 0

Attack
Wooden Sword Accurate + 5 Weapon - 5- 0
Cyclone - Area effect 20, weapon - 5, unwieldy -5 - 10
Slash- Affinity: shadow + 0, Area effect 10 (line), Range + 0, strike through + 5 -15

Marle Aka Princess Nadia- Marle is the 16 year old princess of the kingdom of Guardia. She had often had arguments with her parents over her destiny of being the princess. Her father just wanted her to grow up like a proper princess. Eventually she ran away from home. She ironically decided to hide in plain sight to the festival that is Millennial fair at Leene square. There she met Crono and the rest is history.

Affinity Ice. Total (+ 4)

Weaknesss (9)
Agesim-1. 16 year old girl.
Crybaby-1. I have always seen her as a little bit of a whiner.
Fussy- 2 "Hold your horses, I want some Candy!". "Have you ever heard of this eyes cream that the queen requested?"
Impulsive- 2. Running away from her father. If she were to have been kidnapped, image the leverage they could have had over the king of Guardia.
Naive- 2. Sheltered as she grew up a princess.
Restricted Freedom- 1 (would be worth 3-4 points but most of the game takes place outside of 1000 A.D where it would be relevant.)

Abilities 13
Attack-2 very good with a bow
Beautiful-1 said to be a pretty princess
Knowledge-2 politics (figure she would know a little about this being a princess and all)
Evasive-2
Heal-3
Vigorous-3

Attacks
Bronze Bow- Accurate (5), Armor Piercing level 2 (10), Ranged (0), Activation (-10), Weapon (-5) 0
Aura- As heal Level 1
*provoke ( not sure how to build in engine)

Lucca- Lucca is a 16 year old girl genius. Lucca lives with her mother and father in a home outside of the city of Guardia. Lucca and her father often build inventions (though it is hinted at with NPC dialogue that they do not always work). She at her young age created a battle bot for people to test their mettle against. She also created an amazing device called the telepod, which she hopes her best friend Crono will try during its official unveiling at the Millennial Fair.

Affinity Fire. Total ( + 3)

Weaknesses 9
Ageism-1 16 year old girl
Bizzare Appearance- 1, "What's with those glasses?"
Compulsion- 2 (Lucca has shown to jump at the chance to learn about machines and help fix devices)
Easily Distracted- 2 (Advanced technology)
Infamous-1 (Inventions don’t always work)
Love interest- 2 Here's one that many people may disagree with. I believe Lucca did like Crono. I gave her two points as it was unreturned.

Abilities 12
Attack 2
Evasive 2
Inventor 3 (Lucca is a genius. She uses a pistol in 1000 A.D! She also built an android named Gato.)
Smart 3
Passion- Science 2

Attacks
Air Gun- Accurate (5), Ranged (0), Weapon (-5) - 0
Flame Toss- Affinity: Fire, Multiple Targets (10), Ranged (0), Weapon (-5) - 5
Hypno Wave- Area Effect level 1 (10), Stunning (10) Will Attack (0), Weapon (-5) -15
*hypno wave appears to come from a device that is localized from her location.

I am working also on their other techs as well. Let me know if you want to see more.
StarRaven
Worthy Tortoise

Post by StarRaven »

Sorry not sorry.
Health: 40 | Endurance: 60
Threat Value: 15

Cute +1
Lucky +3
Sixth Sense +1
Vigorous +2
Passion +3 (Love)
Gear: Disguise Pen +2
  • Shape Change +2
Transformation +5
  • Life Support +3
  • Attack +3
  • Combat Expert +3
  • Position of Power +1
Companion +1 (Luna)
  • Hammerspace +3
  • Agile +1
  • Awkward Size -2
  • Fussy -1
Ageism -1
Airhead -1
Clumsy -2
Code of Conduct -3 (Protect Innocents)
Crybaby -1
Dumb -1
Focus -3 (Transformation Brooch)
Love Interest -2
Love Magnet -1
Naive -1
Secret -2

ATTACKS:
Sailor Moon Kick
Roll: 3 | DM: 4 | End: 0

Supersonic Waves
Area Effect (+10), Paralyzing (+10), Ineffective (-10), Requirement: Must be Panicking (-10)
Roll: 3 | DM: 2 | End: 0

Moon Tiara Action
Ranged (+0), Accurate (+5)
Roll: 4 | DM: 4 | End: 5

Moon Tiara Stardust
Accurate (+15) Ranged (+0), Area Effect: (+10), Special Perk: Purfication (+10), No Damage (-20), Buildup (-5)
Roll: 6 | DM: 0 | End: 10
Cloud
Savior of Turtles

Post by Cloud »

Very nice write up for sailor moon. Is this Manga bunny or anime? Got any of the others made up yet? Looking forward to my favorites Mercury and Jupiter!
StarRaven
Worthy Tortoise

Post by StarRaven »

Anime. Otherwise she'd need Moon Twilight Flash. Maybe she needs that anyway.

The others would be mostly variations of the same kind of thing. Jupiter would need some Strong, Mercury would need Smart, etc. It would be cool if each one had a different Passion, but honestly, Love probably works the best for all of them. (Though the other senshi might only have it at +2?)

This has rekindled my desire to run a magical girl team OVA game.
Cloud
Savior of Turtles

Post by Cloud »

I could see Mercury with some levels of smart, Jupiter with knowledge cooking etc. I think Bunny could use a few more levels of crybaby though lol.
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

Cloud wrote: Lucca- Lucca is a 16 year old girl genius. Lucca lives with her mother and father in a home outside of the city of Guardia. Lucca and her father often build inventions (though it is hinted at with NPC dialogue that they do not always work). She at her young age created a battle bot for people to test their mettle against. She also created an amazing device called the telepod, which she hopes her best friend Crono will try during its official unveiling at the Millennial Fair.

Weaknesses 9
Compulsion- 2 (Lucca has shown to jump at the chance to learn about machines and help fix devices)
Love interest- 2 Here's one that many people may disagree with. I believe Lucca did like Crono. I gave her two points as it was unreturned.
That's actually incorrect, because if you choose to kill Magus instead of working with him, you get the ending where Frog turns back to Glenn, and she immediately begins hits on him. Rather hard.
"And now my friends, a Dragon's Toast! To life's little blessings; wars, plagues and all forms of evil. Their presence keeps us alert-- And their absence keeps us grateful!" - T.A. Barron
Cloud
Savior of Turtles

Post by Cloud »

Chris Brady wrote:
Cloud wrote: Lucca- Lucca is a 16 year old girl genius. Lucca lives with her mother and father in a home outside of the city of Guardia. Lucca and her father often build inventions (though it is hinted at with NPC dialogue that they do not always work). She at her young age created a battle bot for people to test their mettle against. She also created an amazing device called the telepod, which she hopes her best friend Crono will try during its official unveiling at the Millennial Fair.

Weaknesses 9
That's actually incorrect, because if you choose to kill Magus instead of working with him, you get the ending where Frog turns back to Glenn, and she immediately begins hits on him. Rather hard.
Good catch! To be honest, it was only my personal opinion that she may like him but I did not have any facts to back this up. Aside from that, were there any other things that stood out? How about mechanics?
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

I'm assuming you're building them as they were in the first part of the game? Before the really learned magic? If yes, then yeah, I don't have any issues. I'd use them as is.
Cloud
Savior of Turtles

Post by Cloud »

Chris Brady wrote:I'm assuming you're building them as they were in the first part of the game? Before the really learned magic? If yes, then yeah, I don't have any issues. I'd use them as is.
Yep, that was my goal. To create them before they go to the darkness beyond time. Thanks for taking a look. Maybe when I get more time I can make other write ups.