Pick a character!

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Clay
Dangerously Sane

Re: Pick a character!

Post by Clay »

I think the Lucca/Marle/Crono love triangle is pretty heavily implied, especially if you bring Lucca (and not Marle) when Crono (POSSIBLE SPOILER) rejoins the party. And by the end of the game, it's pretty much a given Marle and Crono are hooking up, so you could interpret Lucca hitting on Glenn as her moving on, or you could just take it as harmless flirting and not an expression of actual romantic interest.

But few things in Chrono Trigger are really spelled out. I guess it just depends on your personal inclinations. :)

In any case, looks good to me, Cloud! If you want to represent Provoke, you might give Marle an attack that does no damage but with the Disarming Perk. Can trigger all those short tempers beasties surely have!

Speaking of Chrono, the third volume of the Chrono Trigger Symphony came out yesterday: http://thechronosymphony.com/

StarRaven: Love Usagi! I have to admit I laughed when I read the "Must be Panicking" Flaw. I'm with Cloud, we need moar! (Even if they DO end up pretty similar. There's never enough magical girls, right?)
PnPgamer
Shelled Plebeian

Post by PnPgamer »

Clay wrote:I think this is a great idea. It's something I always plan to do...perhaps if I ever get more time!

Did you have any ideas for someone to recreate in OVA, PnPgamer?
Sorry I have been really busy for a long time!

WHat I myself have in mind are: Any of the classes found on the new XCOM game (which itself also opens gazillion different paths for various things: cyborgs, psychic talents etc), Albert Wesker from resident evil games, League of Legends offers over a hundred options as well.

Aliens from Alien movies, Predators from predator movies, Lo Wang (Shadow warrior, either 2013 or the classic 90's version).

Some sort of Mech rider would also be pretty neat, although I do not base this not as much into mecha anime, but rather Warhammer 40k Tau (although they are based on anime, still think they are nifty) The tau also hire mercenary bird-like aliens that evolve by devouring flesh of any creature.

Of course when I mentioned the 40k universe, it itself already contains inspirations for plenty of things: All devouring creatures, space soldiers trained in the spartan way, mystical aliens, metal skeletons...

quite a few came to mind, but I felt that I should give a lot of examples, I might invent more later.

Also Thanks for everyon who have participated already into this :)
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Post by sniffycrab »

I would like to see Carried by the Wind: Tsukikage Ran characters done up please.

Tsukikage Ran- The Main protagonist and female samurai.

Meow- the Sidekick female martial artist.
StarRaven
Worthy Tortoise

Post by StarRaven »

You don't understand watching anime and thinking about how the characters would translate into OVA characters is literally my hobby.

Maybe I'll do a certain loudmouth ninja and two companions.
Gaigaia
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Gaigaia »

Heia,

As someone who read Mutants and Masterminds, Marvel Heroic Roleplay and Prowlers and Paragons, I have to say that I like OVA very much, but I'm kind of having problems with stating characters with it.

If you guys are accepting requests, I have some:

. Pokemon. How would we stat pokemon? Basically, many Servants abilities? It would seem strange a character with most of its power coming out of servants, though. What do you guys think?

. Cybers, capable of taking many weapons inside of its body. Should I use Hammerspace + Human Arsenal? That seems right.

. Dragon Ball. How to stat Dragon Ball, specially dragon ball z? Where goku goes from having problem with Raditz to fighting people capable of destroying planets? If one would make a dragon ball z campaign with OVA, how would such drastic evolution of character be, with attribute's cap at +5? Should scales be used? How? I don't know how to stat those things.

. Attack on Titan. I would like to see people stating those characters, specially tagging them against the Titans. Also, how should a Titan be gmed? One hit kill?

. Fuzion characters. Things like dragon ball fuzion and power rangers mechs, how to do that? Consider it like 'transformation'? Should it be another different ability and just pick the best abilities from both characters?

. Touhou. How should the characters of touhou be stated, with powers like 'Being able to control the inconscious mind', 'Power to rewrite history' and things like that? Should all those powers be considered 'Special Abilities'?

. Avatar: Last Airbender. How to stat benders? Bending would be a kind of weapon and hobby used for attacking? Should it cost endurance to be used? I would like to see you guys stating people like Ty Lee, Azula, Bumi, Ang (and his avatar state) etc.

. Superheroes in general. Although not anime, I would like to see people stating heroes like Spider Man, Wolverine, Hulk, Captain America, Storm etc.

Thank you all,
StarRaven
Worthy Tortoise

Post by StarRaven »

For all of these things, it's important to look at the effect you are trying to get, as opposed to the literal ability of the character. We were just talking about Naruto, for example! One of Naruto's abilities is (spoiler!) the ability to make shadow clones. Since there is no Ability in the game that allows a character to make copies of himself, you might think, "I need to make that Ability!" but you really don't. Instead, look at what it's used for. For example, the first use of Naruto's shadow clone jutsu is a powerful rapid-fire mass attack on another ninja. So if we were making Naruto, we'd make that attack.

For another example, let's look at Aang. His (starting at the beginning of the series) power is the ability to control air. Instead of coming up with an airbending ability, instead let's just look at what he can do with it.
  • Flying, with the help of his glider. (Flight and Focus.)
  • Super-powered martial arts. (Attack ability and various attacks with perks.)
  • Transformation into the Avatar state. (Either Transformation with Trigger or Accidental Transformation.)
  • There's more but I'm tired I hope this makes sense I started writing this like two days ago when you first posted but then I left it in an open tab and forgot about it I'm sorry!
Anyway, yeah, that's really it. Try to imagine how an ability is used in order to translate it! OVA is very versatile and doesn't need much modification. Try to use what you have before you make new rules and risk it getting confusing.

I'll work on some characters. I really like this game, hahaha.
Gaigaia
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Gaigaia »

Yes, trying to emulate the effect is the best way to deal with such things. But I still have many doubts regarding some stuff:

The Naruto's shadow clones are something I believe harder than just special attacks. First, they are a way for naruto 'evade' attacks, much similar to the woodplank that many ninjas transform into when attacked too. This I would say is some sort of 'Insubstancial Form', that can be used only for defense (you use and nullify an attack), maybe an speciall ability with only 1 level that could allow to do that? Besides that, naruto's shadows eventually can be used to scout and learn for him, accelerating his training. I don't know how things like that could be put in the game system, but they could easily be emulated through narrative prowess, I believe. I'm not sure about that either.

About fuzion characters, I really believe that this should be a different abillity or rule, because it is a very common theme in anime/manga and is substantially different from transformation. How to deal with it in game? Should that be accepted as a 'combined' transformation? Every chracter pick 'fuzion' and they can combine, having the best of their attributes for all of them and adding their health and endurance? Every turn, should Endurance be burned to maitain the fuzion? I have some ideas, but I would like to know what you guys think.

And about Elemental Characters, I have the same regards to those as with the fuzion characters. They are very common to be left without rules for them. Elemental magic is also different than Arcane and Witchcraft, and I'm not entirelly sure how it should be addressed. Should it be similar to Psychic/Telekiness, being a different kind of 'combat style'? Should it cost Endurance to activate?

I like this system too, Raven. I believe it suits my playstyle better than the other ones I have used (like MHR and M&M, for example).
StarRaven
Worthy Tortoise

Post by StarRaven »

For fusion characters... well, it depends on how you want to do it. If you're fusing the bulk of the party into essentially one character, then who picks what that character does? No matter how you run it, it doesn't sound fun. The other way I can think to do it is let every character involved in the fusion continue to have their own action, so that the fusion character is getting a whole lot of actions in at once. (I did something like this with a bunch of characters on a space ship. The ship had its own stats, but the characters all contributed each turn using their Pilot and other related abilities -- shooting guns and shouting orders and, in the case of the pilot, moving the ship.)

For Naruto:
-- Special evasion: Barrier might actually work (using endurance to buy off damage), or yes, Incorporeal Form with a Requirement flaw on it that says it can only be used as a defense. (You can put Endurance Use on it as well.)
-- Scouts: Minions. OVA doesn't have a built-in character improvement mechanic, so the "accelerating his training" part is up to GM discretion.

Elemental characters: Arcane and Witchcraft might still work, actually. If you want to make an all-encompassing "Elemental Control" Ability, you could modify Inventor. :D
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Thanks Raven for fielding some of these questions. You always have such a great grasp on the game. :)

Some other options to consider for Naruto’s shadow-selves: A simple Transformation that gives him a bonus to Defense and Attack. It’s not particularly flavorful, but it does the job. You could also potentially reinterpret “Time Freeze” to represent lots of clones acting instead (for attack OR defense.)

As mentioned, Fusion is typically not a fun endeavor because it usually entails everyone only doing PART of what they could do before (or even not doing anything at all, depending on how you handle it.)

Giving everyone a normal action, though, is interesting. I’m not sure if it’s canon with the show (that is, if fused characters become exponentially faster to the point of having double or triple the number of the actions), but it definitely lets everyone still have a good time.
Gaigaia
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Gaigaia »

Besides having everyone act during the transformation, you could have one player controlling the fuzion per turn. So, 1st turn is A player, then Enemy, then 2nd turn it's B, then Enemy, so on and so forth.

One friend of mine asked how Yu-gi-oh could be done - with the idea of having magical cards that spill creatures out. I was thinking about the 'cards' being power moves that you could maybe 'find' during the adventure. Besides that, maybe Arcane Magic to have the character to use cards to emulate magics.

Now, what about Creature cards? Would they be companions? Maybe flunkies? And trap cards would be something like Witchcraft with perks?
StarRaven
Worthy Tortoise

Post by StarRaven »

Thanks, Clay. I like this game a lot. You could say I have Passion: OVA +2 ahahaha wow that was a lame joke I'm sorry for subjecting everyone to that.

Something like Yu-Gi-Oh would be pretty tough. Probably a bunch of different attacks, companions, etc. If you look at the show, the stuff they draw never seems to REALLY be random. They're gonna pull what they need to. For stuff that's more thematically badass (super awesome cards that characters only really pull out late in the games), the "Buildup" flaw should work pretty well. Otherwise, you could make players basically roll a Hammerspace roll for every card. "You need a trap that does X? roll to see if you pull it out of your deck!" or something.

Here ont he OVA forums, asking the important questions. I like it.
Gaigaia
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Gaigaia »

To replicate the show, I believe too that the random nature of a card game should not be emulated - or else it would be a pretty boring session of stating every and each card and then either having printed cards to represent the ones in the game, or rolling randomly to see which one gets out.

But I'm not entirelly sure how to do creatures and the 'Heart of the Cards'. How to create the effect of the 'Heart' during game? Just adding 'Passion' to the rolls would be boring. Would it be just 'Drama Dice'? 'Lucky'?

What I intend on doing is having most of the deck pulling being cinematic. Something like that:

- Great magician of children card game

. Power/Attack +1 (card games)
. Combat +1
. Knowledge (card games) +3
. Passion (friendship) +1
. Lucky (HEART OF THE CARDS!) +2
. Hammespace +2
. Arcane +3
- Wings of liberty (Fly +2, Endurance 05)
- Change of Heart (Psychic +4, Endurance 20)
- Monster Reborn (Heal +3, Endurance 10)
. Minions +2

. Compulsion (card games) -1
. Bizarre appearance (impossible hair) -1
. Emotionless (towering and cold presence) -1
. Fussy (always wanting to be clean and tidy) -1
. Overconfident (I'm a card master) -1
. Room for two (voice of the king of cards) -1
. Sensitive (“you do not talk about my card skills!”) -1
. Stubborn (“Listen to what the card master has to say”) -1
. Focus (deck of cards, lose everything but passion and knowledge) -3
. Dependency (card games - having your deck) -2
. Code of conduct (the way of the card) -2

Attacks

. Magic trap Card: Swords of Revealing light (Acc +1, Area x2, Stunning, Ranged, Damage -2, Need Deck of cards), Roll 7, Dx 1/2, End 10

. Creature attack – Dark Magician (Acc -1, Armor Pierce +2, Damage +2, Ranged, need deck of cards), Roll 5, Dx 4, End 10

. Creature Attack – Kuribo flock (Overwhelm, Damage -1, Ranged, need deck of cards), Roll 6, Dx 1, End 0.
Gaigaia
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Gaigaia »

So, I made a few character sheets. What do you think of them?

Tony Stark (with transformation rules)

. Knowledge (Science) +3
. Inventor +4
. Rich +4
. Smart +2
. Transformation (iron man) +4
. - Strength +2, Armor +2, Attack +2, Flight +2

. Focus (iron man suit for transformation) -2

Tony Stark (alternative with no transformation)

. Knowledge (Science) +3
. Inventor +4
. Rich +4
. Smart +2

. Strength +3
. Armor +3
. Combat +2
. Attack +3
. Flight +2
. Heightened Senses +2

Focus (iron man suit for all physical abilities) -2

<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>
- Doctor Jekyl (and Mister Hide)

. Smart +2
. Knowledge (Chemistry) +4
. Rich +2
. Perceptive +2
. Unique Power (one alternate Form - Hide) +1

. Dull -2
. Shy -2
. Bizarre appearance (strange doctor) -1
. Secret (being Hide) -3
. Room for two (Hide) -3

>> As mister Hide
. Attack +2
. Combat +1
. Strength +2
. Agile +1
. Quick +1
. Tough +2
. Vigorous +2
. Intimidate +1
. Unique power: Alternate form (Jekyl) +1

. Wanted (police) -2
. Hatred (humans) -3
. Short Temper -3
. Trigger (needs a potion to become Hide) -2
. Special (turns back into Jekyl after some time) -1
. Bizarre appearance (monstrous figure) -2

(the idea here was that Hide had a complete set of different abilities from Jekyl, so transformation would not really do it)

<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Diablo II Necromancer

. Attack (bones and poison) +1

. Combat +1

. Knowledge (Necromancy) +3

. Minions (Golens and skeletons - ), +3
.- Iron Golem (Attack +2, Defense +2, Armor +2), Combat +1, Attack roll 3, Defense roll 3, DX 1, Armor 2, Endurance to invoke 30
.- Blood golem (Damage +2, Attack +2, Vampire attack), Combat +1, Attack roll 3, Defense roll 1, DX 3, Endurance cost to invoke 25
.- Skeleton warrior (cost 1 minion), Combat +1
.- Skeleton mage (cost 1 minion), Attack (ranged) +1

. Magic Arcane, +2
.- Barrier (bones) +3, end 20
.- Armored (bones) +3, End 20

. Magic Witchcraft (curses), +3
.-Decrepify (Slow -2, Armor -1), end 10
.- Weaken (Weak -3), end 10
.- Low resist (Special: Reduces elemental resistance -3), end 10

. Endurance reserve (ancient skull) +2
. Vigorous +2

. Infamous (necromancy taboo) -2
. Emotionless -1
. Wanted (demons) -2
. Selfish -1
. Obsession (power) -2
. Dull -2
. Boorish (rude) -1
. Bizarre appearance (pale) -2
. Arrogant -1
. Frail -2
. Focus (to use the minion ability, you need corpses) -1

Health 20, Endurance 60, Reserve (magic and special attacks) 40

Techniques

. Necro-defense (Special: uses necromancy do defend, effective -1), defense roll 5
. Bone spear (Special: uses necromancy to attack, Ranged, Effective -1) attack roll 5, DX 2
. Corpse explosion (Special, atack with necromancy; special need: a corpse, Ranged, Area x2, Overwhelm) Att Roll 6, DX 2, End 20.
. Poison nova (Special: attack with necromancy, Area x2, continuous, Damage -1, Affinity: venom). Attack roll 6, DX 1, End 20.
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Post by sniffycrab »

The Two Crude Dudes from the Genesis game.

Secondary Characters.
Abilities
Combat Expert +2
Strong +2
Tough +1

Flaws
Dense -2
Infamous -1 They are from a Sega Game.
Rude -1

Attacks
Punch Roll 4 DX 3
Throw Object Roll 4 DX 3 Strength Powered Costs 5 Endurance
Throw Partner Roll 4 DX 4 Effective, Area Effect, Assisted Costs 0 Endurance.
Joe_Mello
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Joe_Mello »

StarRaven wrote:Something like Yu-Gi-Oh would be pretty tough. Probably a bunch of different attacks, companions, etc.
Actually, I don't see it as all that hard. Think of a deck as a Fighting Style. There are various techniques, but a few signature moves that the deck needs to execute in order to win. So what I would suggest is instead of making a pile of cards, figure out what the deck is supposed to do and then build an attack suite to match, using various limiters and maybe house rules to try and recreate the buildup of the actual card game. Gaps in the narrative can be filled in by either the GM or the players.
Joe_Mello: Could you make a common sense roll, please, Ryu?
Ryushikaze: With Smart?
Joe_Mello: Sure
*Ryushikaze rolls*
Joe_Mello: SHE'S DEAD!