Attack, Defense, and skill rolls

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

armadon70726
Shelled Plebeian

Attack, Defense, and skill rolls

Post by armadon70726 »

hi i'm starting my friends on ova but i'm unsure, when rolling for anything do you add all relevant abilities or only the highest? also to clay: will that change from original to rerelease, because i want to swap over to the new setup once it's out. thank you for any help.
Atmo
Exalted Amphibian

Re: Attack, Defense, and skill rolls

Post by Atmo »

All relevant, but capped at +5.
armadon70726
Shelled Plebeian

Post by armadon70726 »

so for a physical attack combat skill level 5 and strength level 5 you'd only get 5 extra die in total? just trying to understand clearly is all.
Atmo
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Atmo »

Eh, my bad, i mistook some things here: there isn't a cap at all. As page 76 says: The mechanics remain the same for any positive number of dice rolled. Roll them and take the highest. If doubles are rolled, add them together and compare to any other number rolled. If the added dice are highest, use them. If they are not, use the other highest die. Triples, Quadruples, and so on are
all added together.

So, if you roll 12 dice and gets three 5's and one 6, ignoring the other lesser results, then you got 15 in you roll.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

You can add as many different Abilities as you like to a given roll. If this means you roll 12 dice, then by all means, roll 12 dice!

This has not changed in the next version of the game, so that's one thing you won't have to relearn! Most of the changes have been to how Endurance is used, the new rules for complications, and the new Attack Ability. But they're easy enough to plug into your existing knowledge, so I don't see any major issues transitioning to the new system. If you have any questions though, you can always post here!
squidheadjax
Shelled Plebeian

Post by squidheadjax »

As a followup question: Barrier and Teleport can replace defense. Do abilities that improve defense rolls improve them, or are they on their own?
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

That's your Game Master's call based on the nature of the Ability. Generally, it's okay to add Quick. I would say Evasive (previously Defense) is a separate entity. You may be quick to teleport, but being an evasive sort of fellow is not directly relatable to teleporting any better.