Hardsuits and Hellos

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Nyrmaldy
Shelled Plebeian

Hardsuits and Hellos

Post by Nyrmaldy »

First and foremost, I'd like to say hello. I've only recently discovered OVA, but I've already got gears turning in my head for ideas into a game to convince my gaming group to play. The system, to me at least, has all of the adaptability of other systems (I look to Tri-Stat) but with less complexity.

The game I'm wanting to run is based around my (currently) favorite anime, Bubblegum Crisis. The issue i'm having is coming up with the Hardsuits that characters would have access to. The logical thing would either be Transformation or Vehicle, IMO. Transformation would allow for higher levels of Hardsuit customization for the characters (before Flaws), but I dislike the idea of characters having to use their own Endurance to power the suit's powers.

I guess my question is: has anyone else done anything like this? What advice would you offer to make this work? And, if I may, what changes might be coming with the revised edition to change the options for 'power suit' characters?
CursedEmbrace
Worthy Tortoise

Re: Hardsuits and Hellos

Post by CursedEmbrace »

Before I say anything I'm going to let you know I've never seen or heard of Bubblegum Crisis.

Having said that though I think using Vehicle works pretty well for what you're asking to be honest, especially since the suits would then have their own Health and Endurance amounts you'd use for special attacks and what not, rather than using the resources of the pilots.

As for the limited amount of Abilities the book tells you that you can take for your Vehicle, you could either just change the rules as far as your game is concerned or you could have your players take a few common weaknesses that I'm guessing (without knowing much about the size and scale of the show) most of the suits/mechs would have, like Size, Dependency (for some kind of energy source) and so on.

Also, you could consider using some form of the 'Scale' rule that Clay has mentioned numerous times around that will be in the next edition of OVA. Basically if a piloted suit/mech is acting against a regular person because the mech is so much stronger, perhaps quicker or whatever the mech-pilot gets a 5 dice bonus against the regular person, so even though the mechs don't provide a huge amount of extra abilities they still have a huge impact on combat against regular people or anyone you could consider to be markedly less powerful than themselves.

Hope that helped a little.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Personally I'd go for Transformation, since it seems to cover the whole "Temporarily become more powerful after changing into a flashier version of yourself" schtick that befits Bubblegum Crisis. If using a character's personal Endurance bothers you, you can have Endurance Reserve as part of your transformation and use that to power the hard-suit's Abilities.

As for what the new edition brings to make this easier, I think you'll find it's simpler to make a wider ranger of attacks and Abilities without resorting to an Endurance cost at all, since there's more Perks and Flaws than ever, and they can also be applied to any Ability. There's also the new "Gear" Ability that you could use for the hard-suit, but since it doesn't give double points like Transformation does, it's more useful as a "suitcase" of Abilities and Weaknesses, for things you may want to pick up or drop as needed.

Hope that helps!
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

Hard suits are powered armour. And the only reason they don't last long is due to the episodic nature of the show. I would personally turn them into Gear, adding Strength, Speed, some Attacks based on the type of weapons you want your personal outfit to have, and a Endurance Reserve to show that you're using the Suit's batteries as opposed to your own.

(Which is how I'm making the 'Bird Suits' for my own personal setting.)

[Edit] Also some armour, very important.
"And now my friends, a Dragon's Toast! To life's little blessings; wars, plagues and all forms of evil. Their presence keeps us alert-- And their absence keeps us grateful!" - T.A. Barron
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Post by sniffycrab »

Hard Suits have a very short power supply in the show.(or At least in the beginning) I'd use transform to emulate this. You get superhuman strength, agility, and fly powers, but the battery runs out in 15 to 30 minutes and your boned. Of course you can make this a story element why the players aren't walking around in hard suits all day and have it as gear. Hard Suits are also custom made to each person that wears them. No one else can wear Priss's suit but Priss. It's not like power armor in other shows that anyone can wear it as long as they are the right size.