Can OVA do Vampire Hunter D?

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Andhaira
Shelled Plebeian

Can OVA do Vampire Hunter D?

Post by Andhaira »

Hey,

VHD Bloodlust is my all time favorite anime. However, I have never found a tabletop rpg that can do it justice, or even close. Can OVA do it?

Specifically, I want rules allowing me to play D and the Macross Brothers, and have a Vampire Lord as a villain as in the anime.
Atmo
Exalted Amphibian

Re: Can OVA do Vampire Hunter D?

Post by Atmo »

Yes, it's possible. Just try to "read" the characters abilities and powers in a game sense and try to pass those notes to OVA. I remember D have a creature in his hand, this guy would be another character with a total of +1 or +2.
Andhaira
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Andhaira »

How would OVA handle D's vampire abilities, like the ability to jump super high, super speed, super strength, fast healing, etc?

What about the Macross brothers?
Atmo
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Atmo »

Andhaira wrote:How would OVA handle D's vampire abilities, like the ability to jump super high, super speed, super strength, fast healing, etc?

What about the Macross brothers?
Just read the book, man. Agile, Super Speed, Strong and Weapon are some Abilities that i see on a character of this level. I remember i did play D for PSX, but it was in japanese... kinda hard to do anything.
Dreamstryder
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Dreamstryder »

Having another person in the same body as you is categorized under flaws, I believe. Transformations and draining blood are easy, and OVA lets you design your own weapon by basically describing it, same as characters. One tricky part is the sucking and devouring D's hand does, I'm not sure what traits would best describe that, but you can improvise traits, too.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

I haven't seen Vampire Hunter D, but keep in mind you can sort of hand-wave new Abilities ("Unique Abilities" in the revised edition, "Special Abilities" in the original) and just apply a level that seems to cover how useful it is. But if you could describe D's devouring power, I can try my hand at representing it for you.

The other Abilities you listed can just be handled by the typical stock ones in the OVA rules, as mentioned earlier in the thread.