what campaigns will you be doing with OVA when you get it?

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Ayleron
Shelled Plebeian

what campaigns will you be doing with OVA when you get it?

Post by Ayleron »

Ok so I had asked this on the Kickstarter but it quickly got burried under all of our conversations so I figured I would start over again here.

I am starting a Chrome Shelled Regios campaign this week and am working on material for a Macross campaign. I
am also kicking around ideas and plans for a Megaman X game.
    What are you going to run/play?
    Rawle Nyanzi
    Worthy Tortoise

Re: what campaigns will you be doing with OVA when you get i

Post by Rawle Nyanzi »

Like I said back in the Kickstarter thread, I plan to run a magical girl-based campaign; however, it will be more in the vein of My-HiME than Sailor Moon or Wedding Peach. And most of the magical girls will be villains.

The player characters, who won't necessarily be magical girls, will be helping such a girl fight off a band of evil witches* (and their monsters) threatening the city. The problem is that the MG doesn't want them helping, so she would do nothing to assist them.

* This is not a Madoka Magica campaign, so the "witches" in question will simply be women who use magic.
    Atmo
    Exalted Amphibian

Post by Atmo »

Touhou, of course.
    Ayleron
    Shelled Plebeian

Post by Ayleron »

I remember when you posted that on the boards. I found some info on it, but haven't really been able to figure out what Touhou is besides a successful video game series. What is it about and how will you run it?
    Atmo
    Exalted Amphibian

Post by Atmo »

Ayleron wrote:I remember when you posted that on the boards. I found some info on it, but haven't really been able to figure out what Touhou is besides a successful video game series. What is it about and how will you run it?
    Yep, Touhou is a series of games for PC who stars a huge number of girls. They live on Gensokyo, an area that really exists on Japan (they claim that Gensokyo is real and is hidden by a magical barrier). The cast is huge, as previously said, and the "worlds" are a fertile land for stories and adventures. Fan games, music, videos, fan anime, doujin, events and much more are organized by the fans, all worldwide.

You can find more about Touhou here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7lHJXPKoX0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEINn9froso
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGegCta6F1o

http://www.gensokyo.org/

http://wallpoper.com/images/00/26/35/98 ... 263598.jpg

cassius335
    Worthy Tortoise

Post by cassius335 »

Someone explain Magic Cylinder to that girl...
    Atmo
    Exalted Amphibian

Post by Atmo »

cassius335 wrote:
    Someone explain Magic Cylinder to that girl...
    Magic Cylinder? Probably they don't need it: Spellcard Duels are games, non-lethal, no one dies. Why? They are strong, so strong that entire cities could fall before them if they release their full power.

http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Spellcard
    Ayleron
    Shelled Plebeian

Post by Ayleron »

I feel like I just stuck my head in a hornets nest that leads to Narnia... Touhou is a blackhole of a rabbit hole. Information overload, so many bullets!

Alright! So what else are people planning?
    Sabersonic
    Exalted Amphibian

Post by Sabersonic »

Hello there forum, this is Alfonso P. Posadas Jr. from Kickstarter but you can call me by my screen name as indicated on the left and I just registered with this forum.

Anyway, enough introductions. My plans upon receiving the second edition of OVA (it is second edition right :|) is to use it as a foundation for three campaigns that I am just aching to GM. First is a general crossover of the Gundam franchise with elements of other Sunrise productions split into two campaigns: The One Year War or as I have dubbed it the First Great Earth Sphere War and the Unification War set upon a post-apocalyptic earth.

Second is this :arrow: space opera setting called the Crongus Wars which is a pet project of mine from back in the mid-to-late 90s.

Third is another campaign involving giant robots; :arrow: Transdimensional Pangea War
    Get your Portable ID!

Though he may have his flaws and faults, he was a husband and a father without equal. May the Angels welcome and accept him with open arms.

Rest in Peace, Dad
    Rawle Nyanzi
    Worthy Tortoise

Post by Rawle Nyanzi »

Sabersonic wrote:Hello there forum, this is Alfonso P. Posadas Jr. from Kickstarter but you can call me by my screen name as indicated on the left and I just registered with this forum.

Anyway, enough introductions. My plans upon receiving the second edition of OVA (it is second edition right :|) is to use it as a foundation for three campaigns that I am just aching to GM. First is a general crossover of the Gundam franchise with elements of other Sunrise productions split into two campaigns: The One Year War or as I have dubbed it the First Great Earth Sphere War and the Unification War set upon a post-apocalyptic earth.

Second is this :arrow: space opera setting called the Crongus Wars which is a pet project of mine from back in the mid-to-late 90s.

Third is another campaign involving giant robots; :arrow: Transdimensional Pangea War
    Universal Century Gundam seems to be the favorite among Gundam fans from what I've heard. Personally, I prefer After Colony (Gundam Wing), but that's only because it was my introduction to Gundam, way back in middle school. When I saw the manual for a Universal Century game (around the same time), it confused me to no end.

I'd like to hear how your Gundam campaign goes.
    Sabersonic
    Exalted Amphibian

Post by Sabersonic »

Rawle Nyanzi wrote:Universal Century Gundam seems to be the favorite among Gundam fans from what I've heard. Personally, I prefer After Colony (Gundam Wing), but that's only because it was my introduction to Gundam, way back in middle school. When I saw the manual for a Universal Century game (around the same time), it confused me to no end.
    Wing was my first Gundam I've ever seen myself as well, though it doesn't really lend well to the kind of Sunrise crossover I have in mind. Granted, they'll make an appearance in the inevitable Gryps campaign in the distant future.

As for the history of the Universal Century, ugh.... I can understand your confusion due to the amount of recons and all that over the years.

And out of clarification purposes, when you said
    Rawle Nyanzi wrote:I'd like to hear how your Gundam campaign goes.
    did you mean how I organize the whole setting of the campaign or something else?
    Get your Portable ID!

Though he may have his flaws and faults, he was a husband and a father without equal. May the Angels welcome and accept him with open arms.

Rest in Peace, Dad
    Rawle Nyanzi
    Worthy Tortoise

Post by Rawle Nyanzi »

Sabersonic wrote:
    And out of clarification purposes, when you said
    Rawle Nyanzi wrote:I'd like to hear how your Gundam campaign goes.
    did you mean how I organize the whole setting of the campaign or something else?
    I just meant how your gaming group takes it. Highlights, exciting events, that sort of thing.
    Sabersonic
    Exalted Amphibian

Post by Sabersonic »

Rawle Nyanzi wrote:I just meant how your gaming group takes it. Highlights, exciting events, that sort of thing.
    I think I see what you're talking about. I'll let you know when I finally get a group.

No wait, nevermind, I already got a group but they're under a different tabletop engine.
    Get your Portable ID!

Rest in Peace, Dad
    Dreamstryder
    Worthy Tortoise

Post by Dreamstryder »

Enchanted by the worlds in anime like Tree of Palme, Green Legend Ran, and Windaria, I'm considering a game about collecting the pieces of broken hearts and lost childhoods in a harsh, possibly post-apocalyptic, alien world. Rather than focus on external strengths of the characters, I'd turn an eye toward how they make sense of life on their lonely planet, where water is currency in the haunted deserts, mutant forests devour humans, and those who mourn loss or hope to gain gaze wistfully upward at the abandoned(?), robotic moons. I'll start there; who knows if I'll end there!
    Rawle Nyanzi
    Worthy Tortoise

Post by Rawle Nyanzi »

Dreamstryder wrote:Enchanted by the worlds in anime like Tree of Palme, Green Legend Ran, and Windaria, I'm considering a game about collecting the pieces of broken hearts and lost childhoods in a harsh, possibly post-apocalyptic, alien world. Rather than focus on external strengths of the characters, I'd turn an eye toward how they make sense of life on their lonely planet, where water is currency in the haunted deserts, mutant forests devour humans, and those who mourn loss or hope to gain gaze wistfully upward at the abandoned(?), robotic moons. I'll start there; who knows if I'll end there!
    That's the beauty of OVA; it doesn't have to be some gigantic smash-up -- and this is from a person who generally likes smash-up scenarios.