elemental manipulator

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Inquisitor Melchior
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Inquisitor Melchior »

Cloud wrote: The first attack used by a character to attack an opponet he ended up instantly buring the enemy up dealing 70 points of damage (he is a monk that can manipulate fire and he choose to use the cerimonial fires they were prepairing that night).
How did he manage 70 damage with a single attack? I hadn't noticed an ability that allowed for that much damage, at least not unless an inordinate number of extra damage perks are taken (but that would cost approximately 285 endurance for the power move, plus whatever the arcane magic cost was). Did I miss something in the rules, does the monk have an Endurance Reserve (or did you allow him to use the ceremonial fires as an endurance reserve), or did he simply have a fair amount of extra damage perks and an enemy that was especially vulnerable to fire?
Cloud wrote: In my campaign, the myst is a real pain. First it shuts down a character's endurance rejuvination completely! Second, it subtracts 1 point of endurance from a character when they are supposted to gain some back.
The miasma sounds dangerous, and quite excruciating to explore, but are non-living magic items, such as Endurance Reserve items, still able to regain their endurance in the mist? If not I can see magic users (such as Aire) becoming helpless quite quickly. Regardless, the players are probably meant to push back the front-lines of the mist, rather than attempt to explore it too deeply. If such is the case, recovering endurance would just be a matter of retreating to a safer location to recuperate, and then returning to the mist to slaughter its hordes once fully refreshed. It would make missions to quell the mist more grueling, but would also require the players to carefully judge their circumstances, and to choose their battles wisely.

I’m also interested in hearing what Raylyte is like. Is it a typical castle city, or more of a medieval anime metropolis?
"Walk three steps and thousands of years may pass. Within the confines of the four pillars, even time is but a brief illusion.”
Hiraku Nishida -Gasaraki
Cloud
Savior of Turtles

Post by Cloud »

Its not as hard as you think. We used magic to emulate power move. The power level was at 3, so the DT was 7. Next, we rolled to hit and he scored a whopping 10 more in his attack roll than his dodge. So, there you go, 70 points.

The myst does not affect items of power.

Raylyte is last known city on the continent. Its huge, because it has to accomodate the lifestyles of not only this kingdom, but two others as well. So different ambassadors and kings and other royalty are present, making for more political confusion than most want to deal with.

im a bit short of time for the moment, so write back if you need more info.
Watch this and all will become clear...http://tinyurl.com/m7qr3rq
Inquisitor Melchior
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Inquisitor Melchior »

Sorry for the very belated reply, but with the holidays I had no time to keep up on my correspondence.
Cloud wrote: Its not as hard as you think. We used magic to emulate power move. The power level was at 3, so the DT was 7. Next, we rolled to hit and he scored a whopping 10 more in his attack roll than his dodge. So, there you go, 70 points.
You’re correct. I must have missed the rule on damage multiplication somehow, but it makes a lot more sense (and battles function a lot smoother) with it (I guess the point total I mentioned would be better suited to destroying a small town :) ).
Cloud wrote: im a bit short of time for the moment, so write back if you need more info.
Whatever you feel like posting in relation to your setting and gaming experiences would be of interest to me. I always enjoy hearing other people’s story ideas (well almost always :) ). Also, given the recent dearth of players where I live, I could do with some related experiences about OVA, at least until I can secure a group of players to try it out with myself. I’ve, for over a month now, wanted to post some created characters and maybe even a template or two to these boards, but not having played the system yet, I don’t feel I have the basis of experience to do so with confidence. There are always aspects of any system that are not fully realized or appreciated until put into practice. And until I’ve tried OVA in earnest, I’m likely to experience noticeable errors in my interpretations and applications of its rules. Maybe I’m just being too type-A about this (that and I really want to play it).

Actually, I’d greatly appreciate any experiences or opinions anyone could relate in regards to OVA (maybe I should start another thread?).
"Walk three steps and thousands of years may pass. Within the confines of the four pillars, even time is but a brief illusion.”
Hiraku Nishida -Gasaraki