Of genres and archetypes...

A free-for-all place for any discussion under the sun. Just find yourself a log and chat away!

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Inquisitor Melchior
Worthy Tortoise

Of genres and archetypes...

Post by Inquisitor Melchior »

Here's another question to probe the minds and interests of my fellow posters (though this time there are no lists :) ). What is your favorite genre and archetype of all time, and why do you like each of them so much?

Personally I'm a big fan of feudal Japan, but I prefer works of fantasy set in a feudal Japanese, or similar oriental setting. Though finding works of this type can prove a bit vexing (oriental fantasy novels can be hard to find, and there aren't any role-players that I really like that have a good selection of oriental source material) and even reference books relating to Japanese mythology can prove scarce, it is still my favorite genre, and one of a few that I seem never to tire of. I suppose my fascination with Japanese fantasy settings stems from my preoccupation with mythology in my youth. I used to voraciously digest any book on mythology I could get my hands on, but as time elapsed I eventually grew tired of the stables of Greco-roman and Norse mythology that were the only things readily available in most bookstores. When I found my first book on Chinese myths I was elated. It was remarkably different from the myths I was accustomed to reading, but it was not so unrelatable or simplistic as to prove off-putting. This in time lead me to seek out books on Japanese mythology, which I found even more absorbing than those of China, and eventually this interest in its myths lead me to study the history and culture of feudal and contemporary Japan. Needless to say, I'm hoping OVA does well enough to allow an oriental fantasy supplement to be released.

Unsurprisingly my favorite Archetype is the Samurai. Whether a grim ronin bandit; a quick-witted, sharp-tongued swordsman courtier; or a naginata wielding samurai-ko; I find myself drawn to the samurai's juxtaposition of art and savagery, poetry and tactics, honor and ruthlessness, and to the philosophies and sword-arts they traditionally espoused. It also helps that I prefer the aesthetics of the katana to those of most European blades.
"Walk three steps and thousands of years may pass. Within the confines of the four pillars, even time is but a brief illusion.”
Hiraku Nishida -Gasaraki
Cloud
Savior of Turtles

Post by Cloud »

Its really hard for me to answer this question. I guess my favorite was anime middle ages. I like mecha, but the protaganost usually wines (oh why me?). I also like High School Comedy a lot. Archtype? The Priest. The priest in anime is usually awesome and very thoughtful.
Watch this and all will become clear...http://tinyurl.com/m7qr3rq
Dreamstryder
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Dreamstryder »

Feudal Japan...very tasty....the priests, too (sounds like I eat priests); like Miroku from InuYasha or the cleric in Scrapped Princess (who is wise contrary to the sometimes ridiculous dogma of the church)?

Do serial experiments lain, .hack//SIGN, The Adolescence of Utena, and FLCL share a genre? Surrealistic psycho-exploratory? I feel too confined thinking of a "favorite" genre, so that is the most coherence I could come up with. :)

Why? I like stretching my thoughts, whether toward logic or aesthetic irrationality, or the sense of nonsense where they meet, or somesuch. Oh! I guess that's why I like the Shutterbox manga as well. I think a surreal approach is very accepting to elegant displays of the idiosyncrasies of the characters, systems of thinking, or make potently graphic and unique settings of fantasy. Showing how a character interacts with such a strange world is very defining of their thoughts, no? Same if the world is their dream, ya?

Favorite archetypes...I suppose it's those people who you don't know what they're doing, but it all comes together at points: the Seraph from Disgaea, Kikyo from InuYasha. They have a plan, but they're minimalistic in explanation; afterall, part of their plans is for everyone to keep acting as usual oblivious to their scheme. They're often very serene on the outside too, and the audience is left to wonder...
wuxiasnake
Worthy Tortoise

Post by wuxiasnake »

Its not too hard to guess what my favourite genre is - just look at my handle.

I'm a huge fan of the ancient east. Ancient China, feudal Japan, and of course ninja's (Ninja Scroll and Naruto FTW). Oh and monks, especially badass fighting machines like the shaolin monks.

Thats right my first love is wuxia. Its downright cool and does share several common conventions with anime. I feel that anime RPG's can emulate alot of this material as well ... just give those power moves names like Eagle Claw palm strike and Snake Steps ... and power them with Chi instead of Energy.
[b]Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.[/b]" -- [i]Confucius[/i]

[url]http://nzrag.com/[/url]
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

An eastern flavored fantasy genre book is planned...eventually. I sadly know very little about true Chinese and Japanese history and myth, but I have a close friend who's a complete wuxia fanatic. Once OVA Mecha and Fantasy are released, perhaps I will get in touch with him to pen such a tome...
Dreamstryder
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Dreamstryder »

I've educated myself on Japanese fairytales, ghost stories, Shinto, and historical ninja at my public library. (One book on ninja was by this guy.) Of course, I like wuxia too...
wuxiasnake
Worthy Tortoise

Post by wuxiasnake »

Ninjas are so cool they make me want to crap my pants.
[b]Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.[/b]" -- [i]Confucius[/i]

[url]http://nzrag.com/[/url]