Long live OVA

A free-for-all place for any discussion under the sun. Just find yourself a log and chat away!

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Cloud
Savior of Turtles

Long live OVA

Post by Cloud »

Thank you for releasing probably the best anime rpg released so far. I am sick of BESM, Random anime isnt that good and i have yet to find a copy of tinker's damn.
Watch this and all will become clear...http://tinyurl.com/m7qr3rq
The Fifth Wanderer
Shelled Plebeian

Post by The Fifth Wanderer »

Don't bother looking for Tinker's Damn. I bought it, and I feel I wasted my money.
Three Rules of Anime:

1) Never pick a fight with an old man.

2) If it's cute, kill it now and save yourself a lot of time and effort.

3) Learn a musical instrument; after that, you can do anything.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

I'm glad you've found enjoyment with it Cloud! Certainly was a lot of fun putting it together.

I've never played any of these, but a handful of other obscure anime RPGs:

Project A-Ko RPG - Released by Dream Pod 9 many moons ago. It's probably harder to find than Tinker's Damn. Based on the anime of the same name.

Teenagers from Outer Space - Released by R. Talsorian Games in several editions. Spoof of various anime mainstays...especially extraordinary students in otherwise normal school settings.

Street Fighter - Game released by White Wolf based on the fighting game franchise.

Of the three, TFOS is probably easiest to find. ^^
The Fifth Wanderer
Shelled Plebeian

Post by The Fifth Wanderer »

Teenagers From Outer Space is still (barely) in print. The anime influence in the latest edition are a lot more pronounced.
Three Rules of Anime:

1) Never pick a fight with an old man.

2) If it's cute, kill it now and save yourself a lot of time and effort.

3) Learn a musical instrument; after that, you can do anything.
Cloud
Savior of Turtles

Post by Cloud »

I have TFOS and i think they should either make a new version or give the lisence to someone who will. Watch Trouble Chocolate for inspiration for it.
Stormfalcon
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Stormfalcon »

A much more recent inspiration for TFOS would be The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Despite the depressing-sounding title, it's a really funny series now showing in Japan, and don't let the first episode throw you off. :D
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

I really should pick up a copy, I suppose. I browsed the first edition of TFOS at a used RPG store, but the deplorable condition was a ward against buying. ^_^;
Beli
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Beli »

TFOS is a great game! I love it, although it is hard to get a lot of people in my area to give it a try.

Along with TFOS, there was a DBZ rulebook and two expansions (Namek and Android Sagas) from the same publisher (R. Talsorian Games). They are pretty hard to find now (I never have gotten the Android Saga).

Street Fighter was a pretty interesting attempt, but relied on White Wolf's Storyteller System.
Roleplay does not begin with everyone else.
Roleplay begins with you.
Cloud
Savior of Turtles

Post by Cloud »

Beli, the android saga source book was pretty dang cool. They have time travel, android and serpent races and some more really good stuff.
Wolfson
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Wolfson »

Of the anime games that I have played, I personally don't mind BESM at all, although I think they have started 'diluting' it by heading into more of the DX stuff. It handles the 'genre' well enough, though.

TFOS is okay, but it only handles one type of anime... The really off-the-wall stuff that you would expect with, say, Ranma 1/2. If you want anything halfway serious, you're out of luck.

Tinker's Dam sucked. Well... maybe it didn't, but good luck trying to figure out how to play the tinker's dam thing. And, unless you happen to be an automobile fan, you'll end up by having to research any cars you want to put together to have some idea of their actual horsepower. Yay.

Dream Pod 9 actually released a number of things that were suppused to have their roots in anime - even Jovian Chronicles was a theoretical nod to the science fiction side of anime - but something in the presentation of the games had a tendency to 'kill the mood'.

Oh... But there's this hot new game called OVA that my wife and I have been raving about...
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Wolfson wrote:Oh... But there's this hot new game called OVA that my wife and I have been raving about...
A family that games together, stays together! Really. There's proven statistics. ¬_¬

In all seriousness, I think it's cool you game together. ^_^

As for the other games mentioned...I really should get them all at some point, out of principle. Have to support the niche! (I do own some DP9 stuff, though.)
Wolfson
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Wolfson »

Heh... My wife is a second-generation gamer. Her father games, and her sisters also game. So it's very much a family affair, which I think is good.

As I think about it, there are other 'anime' games out there, some of which I have:

White Wolf did both Street Fighter and Exalted, as mentioned. R.Talsorian did TFOS, and also the Mekton and Mekton Zeta games. For that matter, they also did Bubblegum Crisis and Votoms.

BESM, for whatever else anyone might think of it, did get me introduced to a number of series, such as El Hazard and Tenchi Muyo! because of the fan books that they started publishing along with the games.

Dream Pod 9, Tinkers Dam... Hmmm... Usagi Yojimbo is a marginally anime game, I suppose.

Palladium did the Robotech stuff, once upon a time...

I'm actually a little surprised to realize how much the genre has been out there for a while.