Private Message Spam

A free-for-all place for any discussion under the sun. Just find yourself a log and chat away!

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

This seems to be relentless now.

I'll try to look into fixing the problem. I hope y'all will forgive my general noobiness in the matter.
Dreamstryder
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Dreamstryder »

I just had an idea! Usually to register to a forum, one is presented with an image with distorted letters/numbers in it and told to repeat it, correct? I assume spam bots get in by using a character-finding image-scan device like that included in Adobe Acrobat for highlighting text in a scanned document.

They can't get in if the graphical message requires an response beyond mimicry! To register as a translator with Anime Lyrics (.com), one is presented with an image of a passage of Japanese text and one has to romaji-ize or even translate it.

I'm not suggesting all OVA goers become fluent in Japanese; the image presented would-be registrants would have to be something OVA players would know, something even human spammers wouldn't bother to find. A question about one of the sample characters? About the system? It would have to be random too, so the answer changes from person to person.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Unfortunately I cannot pick the capcha used. For now, I have resorted to disabling Private Messaging. I apologize for the inconvenience this causes anyone.