RIP Gary Gygax

A free-for-all place for any discussion under the sun. Just find yourself a log and chat away!

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Clay
Dangerously Sane

RIP Gary Gygax

Post by Clay »

Gary Gygax, at age 69, died today. For those of you too young to remember or too new to gaming, Gary Gygax was co-creator of the original Dungeons and Dragons, and is by and large considered the father of RPGs. Record of Lodoss War was, essentially, a campaign run on this system, and the original console RPGs like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest were simply electronic interpretations of the game. So you can see the far-reaching effects he's had, not only on gaming, but on much of the Japanese media we all enjoy.

In any case, just thought I should pass the news along.
Eisenmann
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Eisenmann »

I first saw over at rpg.net. Truly a sad moment. His works are what drew me into gaming to begin with.
Beli
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Beli »

Yeah, I heard this on the MUSH I play on at times. Very sad news, but as someone said, everyone dies. It's one of the few constants of life, and it is sometimes a blessing in disguise. From what I understand he had some health problems.

However, he helped bring forth a great way of storytelling, and if it weren't for his help, we wouldn't be playing these types of games today.

RIP Gary.
Roleplay does not begin with everyone else.
Roleplay begins with you.