Summer Anime to Look Forward to?

A free-for-all place for any discussion under the sun. Just find yourself a log and chat away!

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Michael Hopcroft
Worthy Tortoise

Summer Anime to Look Forward to?

Post by Michael Hopcroft »

So what summer anime releases are people here looking forward to?

The one that strikes my fancy most is Strawberry Marshmallow; a sweet, charming and warmly funny series about a junior college student who has a little sister and her three eccentric little friends continually udnerfoot.

There is also some anticipation on this end for Ninja Nonsense: the Legend of Shinobu, the bizarre adventures of an incompetent teenage ninja girl, her bizarrely perverted clan master, and the ordinary high school student into whose life she has literally broken and entered. From what I've seen, it's pretty funny stuff, just skirting the edge of ecchi (Shinobu refers to her friend Kaede as "More than a friend, and less than a lover").
TheBouncyPherret
Exalted Amphibian

Post by TheBouncyPherret »

I'm looking forward to Bleach being aired in the US. Since it was announced that a US company has the rights for it, Lunar Anime stopped doing fan-subs ;_ ;

But now that it's coming State side, I'll be able to get my grubby little paws on it again!!

Bleach, for those of you who don't know about it, is your typical high-school aged male student who finds himself in a not-so-typical situation. All his life, Ichigo has been able to see ghosts, and one day meets a Shinigami(death god/grim reaper), and he gets thrust into the ages old fight for souls. The enemy are Hollows. They are souls that were so tortured in life--or on their death-bed--that they have no want in the afterlife but for more souls to consume or corrupt.

Most episodes are action-packed, combat heavy, and bloody. Some, however, are nothing more than comedic (sp??) breaks to give more back-story for some of the characters.

TBP
Michael Hopcroft
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Michael Hopcroft »

TheBouncyPherret wrote:I'm looking forward to Bleach being aired in the US. Since it was announced that a US company has the rights for it, Lunar Anime stopped doing fan-subs ;_ ;
That is suaully the standard practice, mainly due to a long tradition of fan etiquette, but that's probably something you already knew.

One license that was recently a nnounced that I'm wondering how geonon will handle the marketing for is Zipang. The very good but controversial science-fiction drama is a sort of Final Countdown in reverse: a JSDF destroyed on manuvers goes through an eddy in time and is thrust back to wtiness the aftermath of the Battle of Midway in 1942; and then they find, after rescuing a dying officer who should have died, that they cannot go home. The crew is then faced with an unbearable moral dilemma: the defeat that is about to be inflicted upon Japan is humiliating, but it was also the reason the world they came froom, and everything and everyone they hold dear, came to be. In addition to the moral issue, there is the very real problem of an American fleet that doesn't know they aren't the enemy.