Newbie alert

A free-for-all place for any discussion under the sun. Just find yourself a log and chat away!

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Merlin273
Shelled Plebeian

Newbie alert

Post by Merlin273 »

Hey all,

I'm new to the pond and just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm 45 and a long-time gamer. I joined this forum and I haven't even bought OVA yet. I joined just on the free stuff I could download and the other info I've been able to glean from the Internet. I love anime and would love to see some of my favs put to OVA stats (even if they are "home-brewed"). I'd like to see:

* Dragon Ball Z (in particular Bu, Cell, and Gohan)
* The Slayers (the entire cast (Lina, Naga, Gourry), Mazuka, dragons, everything! I'd like to see how you pull off the Dragon Slave!)
* Trigun (Vash the Stampede and Nicholas)
* Pokemon

and many others.

I am surprised that there aren't more conversions by either the gang at WTP or fans of OVA.
All your base are belong to us!
Beli
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Beli »

Hi Merlin

I've never been one to attempt such a thing, simply because there are so many opinions about what is and isn't a part of the character. I mean, sure we know that Lina Inverse is passionate about food, but while some people may place that passion at 3, others may say it is a 5 (I believe it's around 8 or 9, but that's a different story).

Sometimes setting up characters within a system can lead to interesting discussions, but I've also seen them degenerate into flame wars in a hurry when someone thinks that Piccolo has a more powerful energy blast than Goku's Kamehameha Wave.

Not to mention, it all may violate some intellectual property laws, but that's probably not a big concern for the fans. For the Turtle... maybe.

Anyway, welcome to OVA. Pick up a copy, it's well worth it! :D
Roleplay does not begin with everyone else.
Roleplay begins with you.
Eisenmann
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Eisenmann »

Welcome! OVA is indeed a great little game.
Merlin273
Shelled Plebeian

How versatile IS OVA?

Post by Merlin273 »

Just how versatile is OVA? In my earlier (first) post I mentioned some well known anime characters. Barring the nitpicking over who's Kamahamaha Wave is stronger, could I, for example, even MAKE such a wave? Or a spell as powerful as Lina Inverse's 'Dragon Slave'?

What are its limits?
All your base are belong to us!
Beli
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Beli »

Very Versatile. Thus the name Open Versatile Anime: OVA ^_^

I've got three games running over at RPOL.net with this system, and a fourth one on the way. One is a fantasy game (with a Lina Inverse like clone, in fact), a mecha game, a game set in a futuristic Roman Empire where Dungeon Crawls are the new arenas, and a fourth game centered around track and field and sentai teams, kind of like Power Rangers, but a lot funnier.

You can do just about anything with OVA. As for Kamehameha waves, you can make a good approximation of them with the system, even the re-directable version that was rarely seen after the original Dragonball.
Roleplay does not begin with everyone else.
Roleplay begins with you.