The Passion Ability and its use

A free-for-all place for any discussion under the sun. Just find yourself a log and chat away!

Moderators: Clay, Jade

KitsuStef
Shelled Plebeian

The Passion Ability and its use

Post by KitsuStef »

Good day to all, I'm posting here as a neophyte to OVA. A few friends and I are running an episodic campaign, and I noticed that there are no sample characters or NPCs in the book who have the "Passion" ability.

I'd just like to see if you can think of any examples of the Passion ability as applied in fiction in the same sense that Walking Arsenal is embodied by Solid Snake.

Thanks!
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Re: The Passion Ability and its use

Post by sniffycrab »

Well here is an example. Kenta has Passion (Motorcycles) +2. Now Kenta would add 2 dice to riding, fixing, or knowledge checks involving motorcycles. He would not add those passion dice to driving a car, fixing a generator, or knowledge checks about Newspapers. Those things are not a part of his Motorcycle Passion.
Phubar
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Phubar »

Also, Knowledge: Motorcyles would serve as well.

Where Passion really shines is when assigned to what characters care about. Link has Passion 5 for Princess Zelda -- when acting to rescue, woo, or serve her, he adds those dice. It's an emotional bonus (theme music kicking in) rather than a standard skill.

It might be a good idea to require new character to take a Passion to help the player define what the character is willing to fight for.
Joe_Mello
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Joe_Mello »

KitsuStef wrote:I'd just like to see if you can think of any examples of the Passion ability as applied in fiction in the same sense that Walking Arsenal is embodied by Solid Snake.
Have you watched Princess Jellyfish? If you haven't, a) go watch, b) most of the characters are what you are asking for, and c) seriously, go watch Princess Jellyfish.
Joe_Mello: Could you make a common sense roll, please, Ryu?
Ryushikaze: With Smart?
Joe_Mello: Sure
*Ryushikaze rolls*
Joe_Mello: SHE'S DEAD!